General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting nervous for first ocean swim-- any tips? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-18 12:04 PM

User image

Subject: Getting nervous for first ocean swim-- any tips?
I am going to be doing my first Olympic distance race this weekend, with an ocean swim. Water temps are expected to be pretty mild (low 70's) and I have a sleeveless wetsuit, which I've practiced with in the pool, but I am still nervous about the ocean swim, as I've done next to no ocean swimming (we don't live near any beaches- only ocean swims I've done recently were on vacation in the Caribbean!). The course is with any current and the water conditions look pretty calm for this weekend, luckily. Does anyone have any tips for an ocean/wetsuit swim??
Thanks,
Lisa

2008-09-18 12:48 PM
in reply to: #1682281

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fairfax
Subject: RE: Getting nervous for first ocean swim-- any tips?

Take your wetsuit to the pool and swim some laps with it on to see how it feels, they feel a little funny at first.  You'll feel some slight pressure on your shoulders but it just takes a few yards to get used to it.

Also, don't worry about the ocean swim, once you get out past the waves there isn't much different except you have to keep your sight.  About every 6-10 strokes, lift your head up slightly and make sure you're aimed just outside the buoy.  If you're not, fix your angle and keep going.  My biggest mistake on my first ocean swim was not sighting correctly and I ended up zig-zagging and swimming much further than I needed to.

Tighten your goggles because the waves may knock them around if they're too loose, but not too tight that they're digging into your eye sockets.

Most of all, just have fun, ocean swims are my favorite part of the sport.

2008-09-18 12:58 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
You WILL get salt water in your mouth.

You WILL swallow some of it.

You WILL get run into by others

You WILL be swam over

This isn't to scare you......just be prepared for it. It happens during every OWS. Just don't let it 'bother' you. If you know it's going to happen then you wn't be so upset/thrown off when it does. have fun and enjoy it. Swimming is the quickest portion of the tri.....
2008-09-18 2:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Glen Carbon
If you are on site a day or two early, do some practicing on the course. If you can not, get into the water before the race and get some salt water on your face. Other than the salt water in your mouth, I think you will be pleased at how much more boyant you are in salt water. You should swim more efficiently than you do in the pool.
Good luck!
2008-09-18 2:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zephyrhills, FL
good advice so far, i'll add my .02. in the pool, looking down at the line on the bottom is comforting, whether you realize it now or not. when you get in the open water, you wont see anything except darkness, so be ready for that. i wouldnt say its a scary thing, just quite a bit different from a clear pool with a bright bottom. also, when you get to the race, dont look at the swim as a whole and say "holy sh*t, thats a long way to swim". its easy when you're looking down the pool 25 or 50 meters but the open water distance will look really long. people dont think about what all those laps look like stretched out one after the other. i think those two things are what helped me most when i first started in the open water, so good luck.
2008-09-18 3:43 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Sighting is still the toughest part about it if you haven't done much open water before.  The only thing different in my lake/reservoir and ocean swims has been jellyfish, and those only sting for a little while.  In the end, it's only water and you know how to swim, so basically... just go swim  If you can keep it simple like that and stay relaxed, ocean swimming is a really fun experience.

2008-09-18 3:50 PM

New user

I'm glad I jumped into this thread. Everyone's advice will definitely help me too.
2008-09-18 3:51 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, New Zealand
I did a lot of mass starts in big fields for ocean swims last year - over 1,200 people in one start (no such thing as wave starts!). My advice, for a beginner:

1) DON'T start in the middle of the field. Go to one end of the line or the other.

2) Get in the water for a good 5 minutes at least before, swim a few minutes, even just float and dunk your head a few times, get the feel of the water and the temperature.

3) Consider starting 10 seconds after everyone else. I found as a beginner, it is far easier to swim past slower swimmers than you, than it is to be passed by hungry age-groupers determined to get to the front. And ten seconds is nothing, you'll get it back by the clear water you will swim in.

4) If you start to panic, take big breaths and breast stroke for a bit, then start to swim again and take long, slow, fluid strokes.

We've all been there and when you come out at the end of it you will be pumped!
2008-09-18 4:19 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
First, wetsuit in the ocean has a very big advantage. The wetsuit already adds buoyance and that combined with the salt water means you float. I have been out half mile in the gulf in 30 feet of water and you can just stop and you still float with minimal to zero effort.

For me the only issue in the ocean different from a lake is the current. These are my tips for that.

- Watch the waves before you and the line they take. The ocean usually will pull you one way or the other. The vet racers will adjust they're starting line to the first buoy for the current.

- Use the bottom for sighting. I don't know if this is true everywhere but in the gulf there are often lines along the bottom and when they are perpencular to the shore you can trust them to keep you straight. Its something you can look at when you're warming up.

- Identify the skyline where you will be exiting before you swim. For example if there is flagpole or specific building you're swimming back it, it helps if you know it ahead of time.

ken
2008-09-18 5:48 PM

User image

Veteran
All good advice.  I did my first ocean swim last week (low 60s water) and the worst part was swallowing the salt water.  If you're prepared for that and can stay calm, you'll be fine.  I wouldn't worry about someone actually swimming over you.  I can't say I've ever seen that happen, even in big crowds...  Good luck!
2008-09-18 6:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zephyrhills, FL
also, one thing that i forgot to mention in my earlier post is to expect your heart rate and breathing to be much faster than what you're normally used to in the pool. you wouldnt think sprinting for 10 seconds and diving into the water would raise your heart rate that much, but combined with your race nerves, it will happen. personally, i start off breathing every stroke for the first couple hundred yards and then once i can slow my breathing down enough, i'll switch to my normal bilateral breathing

2008-09-18 7:06 PM

User image

Wow- thanks for all of this great advice. I did a sprint distance in a lake last month so I'm accustomed to not seeing in the water (like in the pool), just not the salt water and the curent/waves so I guess that's what's freaking me out a bit. Glad to hear that the wetsuit and salt water will keep me buoyant, at least. I'm in the next to the last wave (just relay after us, which I am sure will include some very fast swimmers) so hopefully that means not too many people will be swimming over me. Keep the advice coming- I appreciate all the tips!
2008-09-18 7:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim

Which ocean?

I don't want to scare you, but I have had some ocean swims that were kinda gnarly. If there is rough surf your entry and exit can be tricky if you've never been in the ocean before. When you are swimming toward shore you want to look behind you during the breathing cycle to see if a wave is overtakiing you. If you don't see it you can end up inhaling water as it goes over your head. Rough breakers can also make you tumble.

Also at some beaches the surface bobs enough that you can't see the bouys all the time. Its good if you have land marks like trees or telephone poles to keep you oriented if you can't see the bouys or other swimmers.

But these are in rougher conditions. usually once past the waves its pretty smooth.

2008-09-18 7:18 PM
in reply to: #1682399

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
bradleyd3 - 2008-09-18 1:58 PM

You WILL get salt water in your mouth.

You WILL swallow some of it.

You WILL get run into by others

You WILL be swam over

This isn't to scare you......just be prepared for it. It happens during every OWS. Just don't let it 'bother' you. If you know it's going to happen then you wn't be so upset/thrown off when it does. have fun and enjoy it. Swimming is the quickest portion of the tri.....

I agree...you need to know the truth. It will pretty much be nothing like the pool. Its all about 95% staying calm and 5% swim training
2008-09-18 7:52 PM

Expert
Salisbury

Providence HIM was the first time I was in the ocean in years. I read there would be no waves but there were some. Not major but still. 

Anyway, I made sure I got some practice swimming in before my wave just to get the feel for it. The biggest thing I found was how bouyant I was in salt water with my wetsuit. Amazing! Oh, and it was my best swim so far. *shrug*

You'll do great!!

Edit: Oh, and if you can watch other waves enter and exit.

Edited by Rencor 2008-09-18 7:53 PM
2008-09-19 12:31 PM

Veteran
Any tips if the waves start getting you a little sick to your stomach?

2008-09-19 12:59 PM

Veteran

If I find myself panicking, which has happened in the past, I start counting strokes like I do in the pool.  I usually count 18, similar to a length in the pool, sight on 18, and then count starting over.

This will calm your mind down and get you settled in.

Have fun with it.

2008-09-19 1:51 PM
in reply to: #1683198

User image

homan - 2008-09-18 6:18 PM

I agree...you need to know the truth. It will pretty much be nothing like the pool. Its all about 95% staying calm and 5% swim training

umm... unlike the pool in every way; except that it is water, you cannot breathe water, you must swim to make significant forward progress.

i agree with the 95% stay calm, but don't make this into something insurmountable. you've swam OWS and understand sighting - the difference is you will float better, the water will taste worse, and you may need to time your strokes/breathing with the crashing of waves if it is rough. oh, and residual salt build up may make you chafe (sp?) worse later.

i'm no swimmer and my first "ocean" swim was from alcatraz to chrissie field in San Fran Bay. just keep swimming, in the right direction, calmly.
2009-03-30 11:47 AM

I'm doing my first ocean swim coming up. I saw Jaws as a kid and can't get the picture out of my head. Do I need to be concerned about sharks? Any advice?
2009-03-30 12:04 PM
in reply to: #1684346

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
writers2 - 2008-09-19 1:31 PM

Any tips if the waves start getting you a little sick to your stomach?

Turn head, puke...

More than likely you'll be so involved with the swim you won't have time to get seasick. I get MAJOR seasick on boats but have NEVER had an issue swimming.
2009-03-30 12:05 PM
in reply to: #2048740

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
rebelcasper - 2009-03-30 12:47 PM

I'm doing my first ocean swim coming up. I saw Jaws as a kid and can't get the picture out of my head. Do I need to be concerned about sharks? Any advice?

Do a search. Been discussed to death (ha! bad pun). Short answer.. no... unless you are also concerned about getting hit by a meteorite during the run...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting nervous for first ocean swim-- any tips? Rss Feed