General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kirkland on Sunday? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-19 3:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Snohomish WA
Subject: Kirkland on Sunday?

I am guessing lots of people from BT are doing this race as it's so large.  Is that true?
Bike course is a bit complicated, last year was it well marked?

2008-09-19 4:16 PM
in reply to: #1685018

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington
Subject: RE: Kirkland on Sunday?
I opted to do cycle the wave instead.  I don't know much about the kirkland tri
2008-09-19 5:26 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Here's your bike route:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=6...

I have never done the race, but I would pay attention on the downhills, as it looks like a fair number of corners occur on them. Corners near mile markers 3, 5, 10 and 11 look treacherous to me if you're charging down the hills.
2008-09-19 11:34 PM
in reply to: #1685182

User image

Veteran
Snohomish WA

skavoovie - 2008-09-19 3:26 PM Here's your bike route: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=6... I have never done the race, but I would pay attention on the downhills, as it looks like a fair number of corners occur on them. Corners near mile markers 3, 5, 10 and 11 look treacherous to me if you're charging down the hills.

Thank you. Good map. I actually rode the course once but wasn't sure I would remember the many turns.  Lots of traffic too.

2008-09-20 1:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Everett
I'll be there - near the back of the pack but hopefully a finisher none the less!  This is only my 2nd tri, my first was Escape the Rock 2 weeks ago.    I only started training at all in May.  I'm excited to give it my best shot though!
2008-09-22 11:10 AM

User image

Kayak Point, WA

I did it.  It was my 3rd Tri (I did Cascade Edge and Chelanman).  Is it just me but this is what I thought?

1.  The bike route was hilly (tough), I couldn't use the downhills as much as I would like and was a little sceptical about the corners (especially on the white crosswalks!). 

2.  There we ALOT of flat tires!  I passed 5 and got 2 myself!!  I have never seen that many before.

3.  The organization I was not impressed with.  No warm up swimming until the race discussion?  Starting significantly late and letting the swimmers stand in cold water for 5 minutes at a time?

4.  It was crowded with competitors and spectators and road traffic was really jepordized.

5.  Parking was a disaster, (can't fit in garage, can't put bike on vehicle, etc).

6.  It seemed too early to be motivating.  Other events have really been motivating for me this one wasn't between the early morning, dark, long talk before the event, etc.

All in all, I had a good time, learned alot for me (didn't have the great race I was hoping for), probably won't put it back on the calandar for next year.

Others feel the same or different?

Michael

2008-09-22 12:42 PM
in reply to: #1688193

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Dang, it sounds like quite a frustrating day, Michael. Was there a lot of debris on the roads to cause so many flats?
2008-09-22 1:50 PM
in reply to: #1688456

User image

Kayak Point, WA

I had set myself up to try to set a PB for this sprint.  In the end it was a great learning experience

I don't have lots of experience by in my limited experience I don't think it was a good location, organization, experience for me.  I am just curious if others felt differantly than me?

After passing 4 flats I started to wonder what I was missing (the roads looked reasonably clear).  After 5, I was just getting concerned.  I got a sliver of glass buried in my front tire for my first flat.  I fixed it reasonbly quickly (not something I have practiced for a race with regard to speed!!) and couldn't find anything in the tire so I put the new tube in and continued.  Nearing the end of the bike I realized my front was getting low again but I wasn't going to stop and look at it so I finished on a low front tire.  After the race I found that the glass was still in the tire and eventually took the second tube out.  I guess I am just really lucky I didn't get the flat earilier in the race. 

I also had cramping on the run (I have never had this issue in the past). 

All in all, it was a very good learning experience for me, just not anything close to the PB I was shooting for

Michael

2008-09-22 11:19 PM
in reply to: #1688193

User image

Veteran
Snohomish WA
2xtreme - 2008-09-22 9:10 AM

I did it. It was my 3rd Tri (I did Cascade Edge and Chelanman). Is it just me but this is what I thought?

1. The bike route was hilly (tough), I couldn't use the downhills as much as I would like and was a little sceptical about the corners (especially on the white crosswalks!).

2. There we ALOT of flat tires! I passed 5 and got 2 myself!! I have never seen that many before.

3. The organization I was not impressed with. No warm up swimming until the race discussion? Starting significantly late and letting the swimmers stand in cold water for 5 minutes at a time?

4. It was crowded with competitors and spectators and road traffic was really jepordized.

5. Parking was a disaster, (can't fit in garage, can't put bike on vehicle, etc).

6. It seemed too early to be motivating. Other events have really been motivating for me this one wasn't between the early morning, dark, long talk before the event, etc.

All in all, I had a good time, learned alot for me (didn't have the great race I was hoping for), probably won't put it back on the calandar for next year.

Others feel the same or different?

Michael

It was a bit harder as we are so late in the season (that accounts for the darkness and slippery course) I didn't think there was a problem with flats,  but that's because I didn't have one probably.  Could warn tires account for that as it's the end of the season?  I do agree that the guy on the PA early on was anything but motivating. He had me worried about a DQ for farting.  Looking at the penatlies issued (none) it was more bark than bite.  I also agree it was hard to get a good swim warm up and there was no reason for that (my guess is the water cops didn't want swimmers that couldn't be accounted  for)  Also I think the reason it started late was the water cops.  Notice  they counted everybody who went in the water. Overall I thought it was a 4 out of 5 and I had fun. The after race plunder was good didn't ya think?

2008-09-23 12:01 AM
in reply to: #1689832

User image

Kayak Point, WA
Snailfish - 2008-09-22 9:19 PM

It was a bit harder as we are so late in the season (that accounts for the darkness and slippery course) I didn't think there was a problem with flats,  but that's because I didn't have one probably.  Could warn tires account for that as it's the end of the season?  I do agree that the guy on the PA early on was anything but motivating. He had me worried about a DQ for farting.  Looking at the penatlies issued (none) it was more bark than bite.  I also agree it was hard to get a good swim warm up and there was no reason for that (my guess is the water cops didn't want swimmers that couldn't be accounted  for)  Also I think the reason it started late was the water cops.  Notice  they counted everybody who went in the water. Overall I thought it was a 4 out of 5 and I had fun. The after race plunder was good didn't ya think?

I hope no one gets the idea that I am complaining.  That is not the intent.  I only have a few other tri's to compare it to and in my mind it just wasn't as much "FUN" as the others I have done. Maybe it was all the pre-race talk, maybe the standing in cold water for 5 minutes, I don't know, it just didn't seem like the Fun, motivating, comeraudery (I can't spell) of the other events I have done. 

My bike (and tires) have less than 100 miles on them, they are barely broken in.  I just have never seen 6 flats in less than 13 miles of riding before!!  Even on long rides like the STP. 

I did really enjoy myself, and as I said I am glad I did it for the experience, just didn't live up to the other events I have done.

Unfortunatly I didn't stick around much after the event, what happened? 

Michael

2008-09-23 12:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Everett

I was pretty down on myself Sunday morning - nothing to do with the race itself.  The announcer didn't help but I could understand what his message was.  I did have a flat but it was bike related - my rim strips suck.  I still managed to finish but with a 2:20 time I was disappointed.  Being new to all of this I only had one other tri to compare it to and felt that it was on par with Escape the Rock in terms of organization.  The course was DEFINATELY harder but I would imagine that's the case with most races in this area, choosing similar courses in different areas would be near impossible. 

2008-09-23 1:22 AM

This was my 2nd time doing the Kirkland and the end of my second season.  I wondered what I was thinking when I signed up as the weather has not been ideal for the race in '07 or '08 but we live in the Northwest.  I did Danskin in 2007 (now that is a huge race!) and it poured rain the entire race, I even think it got harder as my race progressed.   I like the bike course for Kirkland because of its challenge and the reward of the downhill.  I was concerned about the wet roads and I didn't take any chances.  I did not want the memory to linger with road rash.  I did hear that there were a few wipe outs.  As far as organization, I think they do a pretty good job and I have been at less organized events.  I am always impressed with the number of volunteers that help out. 

As for the delay in starting, yes I was cold, but as I understood it the announcer was waiting for the police to finish clearing the bike course and there was some hang up.  When I practiced this course 2 years ago, the traffic scared me to death, but come race day, the organizers give you plenty of room compared to some other events I've been at.  I, too, was terrified of penalties and realized, if I stuck to the rules of riding in a group without the drafting, everything was fine.

I saw a few people with flats but not what I would consider a high number.  I didn't see anything in the road that I had to worry about.  It could be the worn tire idea.  This is one of my fears in a race! 

I would recommend trying a smaller event.  I did Flowing Lake the week before Kirkland and that was very fun, only 190 people, but the bike course is challenging too.  The run is 1.9 miles, you almost don't get your running legs before you are done and it has some rolling and short steep hills.  You have to do 2 laps around which I found confusing.

I didn't stick around at the end either, so I'm very curious, what happened?

Feel good about yourself and look back at what you accomplished this season!

2008-09-23 2:47 PM
in reply to: #1689877

User image

Veteran
Snohomish WA
By plunder I meant free stuff. Whip cream over blue berries and raspberries, good granola with vanilla almond milk, samples from cliff, and wrist bands for car keys. Junk I guess but I am easy to appease with its free.  They were supposed to give away a wetsuit but after calling several numbers of people who weren't there I think they gave up and kept it.
2008-09-23 7:02 PM

User image

Kayak Point, WA

What do you bet that one of the numbers for the wetsuit was mine   I need one and am saving my pennies currently.

I must admit there were a bunch of volunteers.  I also enjoyed the more difficult bike course (but that is my strength, so I prefer that).

Michael

2008-09-24 1:44 AM
in reply to: #1691230

Darn!  I got the Clif samples but I missed the berries and granola!  After a tri is nearly the only time I allow myself to relax and eat mostly whatever I want!  I can't believe I missed that!

I know how it feel to save the pennies, I'm saving for a new bike.  Keep up the good work to everyone who competed last weekend!

2008-09-24 11:12 AM
in reply to: #1692393

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
topgunsgirl - 2008-09-23 11:44 PM

Darn!  I got the Clif samples but I missed the berries and granola!  After a tri is nearly the only time I allow myself to relax and eat mostly whatever I want!  I can't believe I missed that!

Eating berries and granola = relaxing and eating whatever you want?

Man, I have a long way to go... Laughing

Great job to everyone who raced.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kirkland on Sunday? Rss Feed