Georgia Multisports
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 35s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Packed everything the night before, so when the alarm went off, I tossed my outfit on, grabbed my bags and bottles and a pbj sandwich for the road.
Event warmup:

Got transition set up pretty quickly, grabbed my chip and got marked. Went on a 10 minute warmup run and then hit the potties. Pretty laid back start.
Swim
  • 09m 29s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a total cluster until the second buoy, I kept running into people and we all bunched up at the turn buoy. Everyone was spread pretty thin across when we started, so I wasn't in the front, but it just wasn't right and it took until the second buoy to get my rhythm. Once I had that, I was all set.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure since I usually hang to the back, but maybe would have been off to the side a little more. Overall, this was a decent swim once I settled in - it was the first time that I just put my head down and went. I was happy with how it finished and I swam all the way until my hands hit sand. The swim also includes a run up a ramp and across the parking lot.
Transition 1
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

I knew this would be a long T1 since I was using it to practice for my HIM next month. I swapped tops, but kept dropping my sunglasses. Overall, it's fine, I wasn't racing this today in transition.

I tested out the jersey that I'm wearing in Clermont, and I may switch that up since mine was a little too loose. It might just be a cupcake mountain day in Clermont.
Bike
  • 51m 38s
  • 14 miles
  • 16.27 mile/hr
Comments:

There was one point in the first few miles here you weren't allowed to pass on a bridge, and that killed the momentum. Cars on the course wouldn't pass some of the riders, so I ended up behind a truck for a mile or so and couldn't go anywhere.

It's just hard to open up because you're always coming up on people who are riding in the middle of the road or the course is really bunched up. I'm always worried I'm going to get a penalty. I am leaning towards racing more Olys because of this, I guess I don't notice it as much on a longer course?

In the last few miles, I heard the motorcycle behind me and a girl in front of me slowed down as we started up a hill, so I tried to back off a little. I saw them writing, so for the last mile on the bike I was worried I'd gotten a penalty. Turns out that I was fine.

I probably should have taken it a little easier on the initial hills, because my calves cramped a little towards the end of the bike. Otherwise, I feel like I was pretty strong with the conditions on the course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

I added Yankz to my shoes last night since I recently bought new shoes to break in. They were allright, but probably a little loose. Anyway, this was fast, racked, changed shoes and grabbed my visor/number as I ran.

Nada, I'm happy.
Run
  • 33m 53s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I feel like my run is getting stronger. The first half mile was tough, jelly legs, but I just pushed through it.

Maybe started out a little slower, just to settle in. Especially because I'll be racing longer distances, so I don't need to be super fast, just steady.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some food and packed up to head home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I've been putting the training in for Florida Challenge, so my limitations right now are really just needing to drop some weight and eventually, I'll get faster.

Event comments:

Overall, I'm happy with this race. My bricks are paying off in my run times and I felt really good on the bike. I need to learn how to be calmer between the swim and getting on the bike though, because I'm going to have a long time on the bike in Clermont and I want to be really calm and in control. Maybe taking a few extra moments in T1 will help. I may also change in the tents since I have the option.

Last updated: 2008-09-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:29 | 400 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Out to the second buoy, turn right, pass middle buoy, turn right at second buoy and head to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:31
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:51:38 | 14 miles | 16.27 mile/hr
I have the bike course short by a mile, 14 rather than 15. Not sure what the deal is there.
Wind: Little
Course: The bike was hilly on the first 4-5 miles, with a couple steep rollers. The rest was primarily flat to some downhills, with a few little hills in the last 2 miles.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:53 | 03.1 miles | 10m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Mile 1 had a few little hills, and then at the turnaround there was a steep hill. My Garmin has the course short, at 3.01, so my average pace over that based on 3.01 miles was 11:15 compared to the race's avg. of 10:56. I'm stoked with either one - I hauled it the last quarter of a mile to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-09-20 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Tri2 Remember

2008-09-20 5:45 PM
in reply to: #1685807

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: RE: Tri2 Remember
Nice looking day all the way around..Congrats.

Are you doing Florida Challenge in Clermont? Good luck!
2008-09-20 8:10 PM
in reply to: #1686063

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Tri2 Remember
I am! Just about a month to go!
2008-09-21 8:16 PM
in reply to: #1685807

User image

New user

Marietta, GA