General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Place Amazing Race Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Great Place Amazing Race Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ft. Hood, Texas
United States
Ft. Hood MWR
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 06m 39s
Overall Rank = 5/86
Age Group = F18-28
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0545, got dressed, had breakfast, headed out to the lake. First local triathlon I've done.
Event warmup:

Got transition set up and ran about a 1/4 of a mile. Should've done more, but helped out some folks with some stuff before hand. 1 GU pre-race.
Swim
  • 07m 28s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was right into the sun, so that was tough. No real contact at all, was supposed to be a 300m swim, but was really a 400m. I truly wasn't "into" it during the swim and my legs felt pretty heavy towards the end. I knew I wouldn't be first out of the water for the ladies. Passed several guys from the guys wave 3 minutes ahead. Just never really "got into" it.
What would you do differently?:

Be more warmed up...maybe should've gotten in to swim. Was just sort of in la-la land!
Transition 1
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

This was nice and quick--helps it was a small transition area in general.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 34m 21s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.96 mile/hr
Comments:

Immediately out of T1 was a .8 mile straight uphill--hardest part of the course no doubt. Not only were my quads/hammies already tight before the race and in the swim, but this kicked them hard. Got up it though and passed plenty up the hill, once I got going, for the first really 5-5.5 miles my legs just were screaming and I was thinking this was going to be a bad day. I did pass several people and a friend had told me coming out of T2 that I had 6 in my age group ahead of me by 2 minutes. I picked off each one before the turn around, but my legs were screaming and my speeds were not what they should've been. Just couldn't get warmed up. FINALLY, something kicked in around the 1/2 way point and my legs loosened up. It helped significantly that it was more "uphill" on the way out, and less on the way in. The very last thing, of course, before T2 was a big downhill and you had to brake quite a bit so as not to fly through transition and into the lake!! I did get out of my shoes though, and I knew I had a pretty good overall women's lead at this point. Decent dismount and into T2. Drank only about a 1/2 aero bottle of GU2O. Was a closed route.

Not have legs that felt all contracted and tight on the bike. I FLEW the second half, but just couldn't get it going enough the first half. 2nd half helped make up lots of ground though and loosen my legs up.
Transition 2
  • 00m 33s
Comments:

Got off the bike and got it racked, even though they weren't normal racks--kind of your normal bike racks...so I took an extra second here, but got helmet off, Newtons on, grabbed hat and belt and took off running! Small transition area again.

Nothing besides learning the flying dismount. Executed this very well...
Run
  • 23m 33s
  • 3.34 miles
  • 07m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

Took off a little fast, but caught it, just tried to get the legs stretched out and maintain a good pace. Rolling hills pushed me, and for the first 1.5+ miles to the turn around I kept a decent pace, but had a little left. Hit the turn around and turned it on a little more, saw where the next gal was and knew I had to keep up a solid pace and not drop at all or she'd catch me. She would later tell me she thought for sure she would catch me on the run cause she had told herself that surely I couldn't be as strong on the run as the bike! ;) But, she was there, and not too far behind were a couple of other gals, so I just pushed it pretty hard. Could tell the course would be long, but really pushed the last .5 mile. Took some water at one point, but it was warm, and I really didn't need it. Saw the finish line, my doggies barking with my folks, and ran it on in to win!

Nothing, did this really well I think. I love my Newtons.
Post race
Warm down:

1st place woman overall. 5th total place overall.
Grabbed something to drink, chatted with #2 lady overall. Then I got mic'd up and interviewed by the Ft. Hood Sentinel and the Ft. Hood PBS station. Then just cheered others on in and waited for the awards ceremony. Got a really nice plaque/clock thing and a gift certificate for a free pair of New Balances from the PX. I don't wear NB, but my brother does, so I think I'll get them for him. Talked to some other racers, helped advertise BT some to them. 2 of the MP Bike patrol guys from my unit were supporting out there, so I talked with them, and they came to the awards ceremony. They then told me that they would never come to PT again cause they're scared! ;) Haha!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had two horrible nights of sleep and a lot of other life excitement this week that I wouldn't trade for anything. My legs were tight and overall energy were zapped a bit from it all. This was for fun, race hard, but have fun and support the installations initiatives to have races like this. Top guy was at 1:04 something, and I think with a better swim and better 1st half of the bike, I might've been 1st overall.

Event comments:

I came into this race with low expectations. It was the first tri that Ft. Hood had worked to put on, and they have limited budget, resources, personnel, etc. It was open only to military members (active or retired), their families, and civilians that work on post (I think on that last one)--military ID Card holders basically. It wasn't USAT sanctioned either. A little over 100 signed up, 86 raced and finished. It was marked well, staffed well, and I am really impressed at what a small staff, with other duties, put together for this race. BIG kudos to MWR for this one. I wish Longhorn and the Army 10-miler/Bike TT on Ft. Hood weren't the same day so I could support it as well.

Last updated: 2008-08-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:28 | 400 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/
Overall: 0/86
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: Parallel to shore, down to one buoy, around counter-clockwise and back to the dock.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:44
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:34:21 | 12 miles | 20.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 2/86
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: 6 mile out and back, rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 94
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:33 | 03.34 miles | 07m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 4/86
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back rolling course along the lake within the park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-20 3:55 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: Great Place Amazing Race Triathlon

2008-09-20 7:30 PM
in reply to: #1685967

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Great Place Amazing Race Triathlon
Awesome job as always B Congratulations commander
2008-09-20 7:53 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Congratulations! And more cool stuff to display in your new office Way to go, Brit!
2008-09-21 1:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Leonard Wood, MO
Wow, great race!  It would be nice if the military would hold more of these races annually at the different bases and overseas.  I bet you can take 1st overall next year.  Good job and keep up the good work!
2008-09-21 10:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
great job brittany. what a week you've had. promotion and first place overall female for a "just for fun" race. nice. very well done. you are one speedy triathlete, that's for sure. longhorn will be a breeze!!
2008-09-21 11:59 AM

User image

Master
somewhere over the rainbow
first over all woman?!?!?!
shut UP!!!! you ROCK woman, you're totally freaking me out!!!

2008-09-21 4:42 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Nice race!
2008-09-21 6:19 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Well done! You are fast!

Yes, it was a good weekend for military tris! I bet you are a great inspiration to your co-workers

2008-09-21 8:57 PM

User image

Veteran

You are fast as a cheetah!!!  Way to go Brittany.  What an amazing race!  For not be "into it" your swim was awesome too! 

2008-09-21 9:08 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Sweet!

You did awesome..glad you love your Newtons..I love mine too

See you in FL soon~

2008-09-22 10:57 AM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Awesome job out there - especially for not feeling it for a while!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Place Amazing Race Triathlon Rss Feed