General Discussion Race Reports! » Time Warner Cable Fox Cities Marathon 5K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Time Warner Cable Fox Cities Marathon 5K - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Appleton, Wisconsin
United States
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 29m 8s
Overall Rank = 303/890
Age Group = F 20-24
Age Group Rank = 15/54
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 5:30 this morning, got ready to go, had a banana and a Diet Coke. Was out the door with Dad by 6:15 to drive down to Appleton. Got there at 6:45 am and waited in the car for a bit because there weren't many people around and I wasn't sure where we were suppose to go. Got out to pick up packet at 7am. Put time chips on and put everything in the car. Ran into my work partner Paul around 7:30 and talked for a bit. Dad and I decided it was maybe smart to warm-up for this race so we did that.
Event warmup:

Did some walking and running for about 5 minutes along the parking lot. Music they were playing was really weird! Got in the starting line about 6 or 7 minutes before race start.
Run
  • 29m 8s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, since this is a local hometown race, there is everyone there from your first timers to your experienced runners. Unfortunately that means you get walkers up front who get in the way for the first .25 mile or so. I had to do some weaving for the first .5 mile or so and I stayed near my dad during this time. I tried to keep the speed in reign but it didn't work well. When we hit the circle loop, the first place guy was already on his way down the road away from us. Kept up the pace.. even though it was starting to get a bit harder and my breathing was changing. It was nice to see so many families at the end of their driveways cheering us on. Hit the mile 1 mark and was feeling pretty good. A pre-race goal was not to stop running except the water stop and I made it to the water stop which was around 1.5 miles but really needed to take that walk. Did until I felt my heart rate go down and then I started running again. It was much tougher and I really wasn't sure I was going to be able to keep up the pace. I slowed up a bit and was trying to talk myself out of not walking over and over again. Passed a nursing home and they were all sitting outside cheering us on so I kept going. Hit the trail through the woods and I knew that we were starting to get closer... so I kept going. Then I could see the finish and all the people so I just deal with the breathing and pain and kept going hard. Then the finish line was there!
What would you do differently?:

Not much... maybe not go out so hard but let's face it... that is pretty hard not to. I was very very happy with the run!
Post race
Warm down:

Felt like I was going to puke right across the line but got my chip cut off and found Dad right away because he crossed just about 35 seconds before me. We walked a bit and got something to eat and drink after picking up our finishers medals. Walked some more and waited for the results to go up. Met back up with Paul and he said I was sucking air at the end! Not nice Paul! Talked for a bit and then found the results which I was very happy with. Met back up with Paul to tell him the news and then headed out to go home for breakfast.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training... but that always seems to be the case. I am not a huge fan of running so I will always have a problem with it. Need to find a running group bad.

Event comments:

This was a nice 5k and I would race it again. I am also interested to see how the half and full marathon is. Unfortunately next year it will be very shortly after Ironman so we will see. But I will do it again!

Last updated: 2008-08-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:08 | 03.11 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/54
Overall: 303/890
Performance: Good
Course: This was a loop course. Mostly on the road with a few trails. Very flat but lots and lots of turns!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-20 4:04 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: Time Warner Cable Fox Cities Marathon 5K

2008-09-21 10:36 AM
in reply to: #1685974

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Time Warner Cable Fox Cities Marathon 5K

Super job out there, Pam. 

I find 5K's really hard to run because you have to pour i on right from the start and hold that speed the whole time. 10K and longer give you a chance to build up better for the negative split. 

(Yeah, I wind up sucking air at the end of 5K's too....woulda served Paul right if you puked on his shoes or something    )

2008-09-21 4:21 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Nice job on the race.   5K's are my least favorite distance too.
2008-09-21 5:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Green Bay, WI
WOW! What an amazing race you had, Pam. It is really incredible how much you have improved over the last couple years. Good for you pushing on all the way to the end, and giving it your all. CONGRATS on the race.....and not holding back.....that's tough in 5Ks!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Time Warner Cable Fox Cities Marathon 5K Rss Feed