Wilmington YMCA
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 51m 8s
Overall Rank = 520/577
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 61/64
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:20 to drive down, peanut butter bagelleaving the house at 3:50, slimfast shake half way, arrived 5:45 and had to find a bush 1st. Then I took my transition bag and ran to packet pick-up, got my chip, and marked. I left my bag in transition and went back to the car, I left my wife and kids there because I didn't want to risk packet pickup closing. She had unloaded the car, including my bike (she rocks) and loaded up the stroller. I hurried back to transition and set up, hurried to the family and switched to the tri top, applied sunscreen that I probably didn't need, grabbed water and a powerbar to eat on the bus, along with hugs and kisses, and got on the bus to swim start. Potty break and en into the water with 10 minutes to spare.

It was a little tiring and stressful, but even with a 2 hour drive it is worth staying at home. Trying to pack for traveling and racing adds to much time.
Event warmup:

I ran some just to get set up and I swam for 5 minutes. I had to warm up behind the start line because it was so close to the 1st wave.
Swim
  • 35m 32s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

I think I swam better than last year, but I was slower. Maybe I took it too easy, I caught myself turning my arms over too slowly several times, but I think the current did not help near as much as last year, the wind was pushing me left when I wanted to go right. Last year the current carried me through the turns ven while I was struggling and trying to rest, this year I was swimming strong, but not moving any faster than in a pool. I did notice one guy that went to the outside of a buoy most went to the inside of must have caught a current because he made up a lot in a very short time.

I tried something new on race day because it didn't occur to me. I had worn my tri top in practice and other races, but never in salt water. I think that's why I was chaffin my chest a little. It was here I noticed it wasn't zipped all the way.

This also includes a very long painful barefoot run to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Hope for favorable current. ;) More swim training, I need better form. Body Glide and zip the tri top all the way.
Transition 1
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

I actually had a lot of trouble with that tiny swim cap, on and off were difficult, but I call it good because it was off by thetime I hit transition. I spent a fair amount of time rinsing my feet. I think its worth it not to have grass, sand, and pebbles in my soccks later. The rest went well, if not real speedy. I noticed the straps for my aero bottle were gone while I was running with the bike which was scary because I had just used half my other bottle on my feet, so if it fell off I was screwed. I don't like to take risk mounting, too many people to watch me fall, and I like to stay out of the way of people who are more concerned about their time.

I forgot to eat my gel running into T1 so I had to eat it on the way out with the bike.

Be faster? Eat the gel on the way into T1.
Bike
  • 43m 6s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.30 mile/hr
Comments:

The night before I had to switch batteries in my bike computer, so I wasn't sure if spped and distance were accurate when I was rocking along at 22mph, I think it turned out close. If not for my slowness running with, mounting, and dimounting, I might have averaged 18.

Several road hazards slowed me down, or more accurately my fear of them slowed me down. The great on the bridge, the narrow one lanes, and the bumps and pot holes trying to take my water bottle. On Greenville Loop I hit some loose gravel as I approached to Police Officers and thought how hard they would laugh if I fell, then I noticed one was Billy (ilmpso3), he gave a quick wave as all I could manage was a quick head not while trying not to wipe out, I'm not good at looking behind me as it is from aero, much less on a sketchy road surface.

It seemed like there was always some headwind and I worried I was going to burn out my legs. I also had to take it extra easy on the turns for lack of practice lately.

Severe chaffing, I was pedaling bow legged some of the time.

I might need to raise my seat slightly and I definitely need body glide.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Still not fast, but deliberate and confident. I normally coast and stretch coming into T2, but skipped it this time. Dismounted slower than normal taking no chances. My pedal nailed the sloped curb running into transition.

Dismount quicker, run faster with the bike.
Run
  • 27m 34s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't sure I was going to make it. The chaffing was bad, quads were burning, and my calves were cramping. I slowed to a walk briefly, but decided I had nothing else this season, I could recover as log as I need, so I might as let it all hang out. I ate part of a pack of sport beans, drank very little at the water stops. Knowing the loop helped me accelerate as I got closer to the end.

At one water stop I try to throw my cup in the trash but the wind pushed it out, so I turned around and picked it up. What was i thinking? At that point I didn't feel I would be running when I crossed the finish line.

Not lose confidence early. And if I miss the trash can, don't go back for it.
Post race
Warm down:

Mostly walking, maybe a little jogging to go pee. :) Then I had torace Zack several times across a field.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and lack of Body Glide.

Event comments:

I love this race! The point to point swim and the flat bike and run, plus knowing my way around is nice.

The bike is a bit rough and the crowd cuts both ways. Some times its great, adding energy, sometimes its just an unmanageable crowd.

Last updated: 2008-04-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:32 | 1640 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 62/64
Overall: 564/577
Performance: Good
Avg 133
Suit:
Course: Point to point
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:06 | 12.43 miles | 17.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 60/64
Overall: 496/577
Avg 153
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:34 | 03.11 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 57/64
Overall: 450/577
Avg 160
Course: The loop at Wrightsville Beach, mostly side walk with an out and back spur on a side street.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-21 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: Wilmington YMCA Triathlon

2008-09-22 7:17 AM
in reply to: #1686624

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: RE: Wilmington YMCA Triathlon
Well done, Mark.  Sounds like a great race for you (and looks like one on paper too!)  Way to hang in there and push beyond the comfort zone.  Have a great off-season, and we'll see you in '09!
2008-09-22 9:43 AM
in reply to: #1686624

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Subject: RE: Wilmington YMCA Triathlon
Nice race, sounds like it went better than you had expected. There was not much current help on the swim, so you were definately better this year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wilmington YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed