ET Triathletes
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 21s
Overall Rank = 22/139
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

Arrived at the race site, and pretty much did the same things I always do. Pleased to hear the water temperature was 76 degrees, which snuck us barely into the wetsuit legal state. Pretty much just chatted with all the locals who are in our tri club, and also Mark Lane who is in our bike club and is very responsible for my turning to the dark side.
Event warmup:

Nothing. Did about 25 yards of breast stroke just to feel the water.
Swim
  • 12m 13s
  • 650 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

Sprinted to the first buoy, and it wore me out a bit. It's been about 2 weeks since I last swam, and I haven't really swam more than once a week since Ironman Arizona. There was about 40 of us I'd say in the first wave, so I was in a good pack to the first buoy.

Turned, and it spread out significantly. I saw a pack to my right, but I knew I was on track as I was sighting much more frequently than I usually do. Never really found any feet, so I just did my thing. Felt fluid and smooth, as the wetsuit really helps me out.

Met up with some guy at the final buoy to catch a little draft as I sailed into T1.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. But unless Longview ever gets a masters swim, I really don't see this happening.
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Horrible T1, but this was just a fun race anyways. Couldn't get my arms out of the wetsuit. And when I finally did, then I couldn't get it off my heels. But the strippers helped a little bit.

Slow and methodically prepared for the bike.

Practice transitions. Prepare for sprint triathlons like I did last year.
Bike
  • 45m 14s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 19.23 mile/hr
Comments:

This is the low point. Hopped on the bike ready to rip it up, and I go to put my shoes in my pedals. Crap! There's no pedals on my bike. Ok, who sabatoged my bike??? I bet it was Zack! Just kidding, although Zack has jokingly told me he would. Turns out I left my pedals on my road bike, which is just sitting at the house.

So I stare at the sky for a minute. Then I turn around and see Dave Kaufman from the Longview Bike Shop. He says, "Aren't you racing?". Yeah, but I don't have any pedals. He can't help. I find Steve Farris, who is the VP of our tri club and directed this great race, and he can't help either. I wander over to the bike tent, and Dave from the Tyler bike shop says he rides the same pedals I do. So he runs to his truck, grabs the bike, mounts it, pulls them off, and puts them on my bike.

As I'm watching this, I see Kami in our tri-club take off. Her swim + T1 was 3:19 slower than me. I'm guessing I finally got on my bike about 1 minute after she passed. So I'm using her as an idea of what my bike split really was, and I'm going to guess high 40's. I'm pretty sure I had a top 5 bike split.

So I'm passing alot of people throughout the entire course. Fun course. Lots of quick steep hills with equal downhills. Not much flat except at the beginning and end. Only 1 person averaged over 22, and that was Brady O'Bryan who's like a USAT all-american and he averaged over 24.

Roll on in to T2, very frustrated with myself.

Put pedals on my bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Don't care. I was still pissed off at this point.

Practice transitions. Don't get frustrated when you're just racing a sprint for fun.
Run
  • 21m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good starting. Found a really good pace that I thought I could hold and just went with it. I spotted Zach, and he was probably 1/4 mile ahead of me. Used him as a rabbit.

Kept a decent pace and finally caught up to Zach. I'm glad he was there because he really pushed me.

Coming down the final stretch I was passed by a shorter skinny guy. He said to pick it up and stay with him, and I did through the finish line. I thought I might be flirting with a sub 7 pace, and I'm really excited to see that I did it with a 6:58!

Not much. This is probably my best run ever in a sprint.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for my wife Gina to cross. She did great, winning 1st place overall female! I'm very proud of her, especially since she does minimal training for speed. She's just an incredible triathlete at all distances!

Chatted with more people in the tri club. Complained about my pedals, and eventually was able to smile and laugh about it. This is just too much fun to be upset with silly things.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pedals. Excess weight. Minimal speed training.

Event comments:

This is the best sprint I have ever participated. Very well organized, very friendly people. Plenty of aid stations, flaggers at every corner. Police officers at every intersection. Some of the best pasta I've ever had post-race. Tons of bagels, oranges, bananas, gatorade, water. Cookies. Cookies. Cookies. :)

Post-race massage at a sprint! Probably over-kill, but it's nice to be treated like you're at something special. I'll definitely do this race again next year, if I'm not involved with directing it.

Last updated: 2008-09-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:13 | 650 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 21/139
Performance: Good
Suit: Neo Sport Full
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:25
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:45:14 | 14.5 miles | 19.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 36/139
Performance: Bad
Wind: None
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:39 | 03.11 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 26/139
Performance: Good
Course: Flat!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-21 2:52 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: Rose City Triathlon

2008-09-21 4:53 PM
in reply to: #1686832

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-09-21 6:37 PM

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: Rose City Triathlon
I skimmed your RR and saw your bike split at 19 mph.  I thought "Dang, what happended to Clint?  Married life has made so...slow." Laughing Then I read the rest of the story.  No pedals...that is classic.  Great race...considering the lack of pedals.  Oh, and that was an awesome run!
2008-09-21 7:49 PM

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Wow, way to pull through despite the pedal issue...glad you were able to finish it out and get them! You have some fun stories to tell!!
2008-09-21 8:04 PM
in reply to: #1687082

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

zia_cyclist - 2008-09-21 6:37 PM I skimmed your RR and saw your bike split at 19 mph.  I thought "Dang, what happended to Clint?  Married life has made so...slow." Laughing!

Funny, I did the exact same thing, TJ.  

Sorry about the pedals, Clint, but you had great run split!

2008-09-22 10:12 AM

, Texas

Funny, as soon as I read you didn't have pedals, I peeked at your time/speed and though "wow, he can even ride without pedals". Then I read where you borrowed some Also, looks like you took some frustration out on the run, WOW!

Overall, not a bad race for a roadie Wink

2008-09-22 11:09 AM

Master
White Oak, Texas
Great job Clint Wow no peds (shakes head) even that doesnt hold you back
2008-09-26 12:18 PM

Expert
Wylie, TX
What can I say, other than it is always an adventure when you race. Very entertaining for the rest of us. I must have been channeling you when I started my ride with my flip-flops on yesterday.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rose City Triathlon Rss Feed