General Discussion Race Reports! » Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
Elite Racing
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 5751/13175
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 650/1035
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 5:00 and ate some cheerios, yogurt and some O.J. Stopped at WaWa for coffee and a G2 sports drink. Ate a peanut butter power bar on the drivfe to Concord Park to meet some friends. Left Concord Park at 6:00 AM and drove into Philadelphia. Parked at 23rd and Market. Walked about a half mile or so to race area. Friends talked their way into an apartment complex on the parkway to use the bathroom. Good call as the port-a-potty lines were OUTRAGEOUS.
Event warmup:

The walk to the corrals for the race was my warmup. Felt pretty good.
Run
  • 1h 59m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a great day for a race. I took on the challenge of running 13.1 to prepare myself for the possibility of completing a full marathon and/or a Half Iron Man in the near future. I have never run this far before and I felt great.

Strategy was to keep a nice even, comfortable pace. I was able to run the entire route and hold a conversation with my running partner Lee. I feel that I could have run faster, probably in the 8:30 range, without struggling, but that wasn't my goal.

I know feel like I can run a marathon and will sign up for the Philly run in November. I'm excited about the potential.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I stuck to my strategy and it worked.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through transition and back to our car. Probably not enough as i cramped up pretty bad after getting arriving home and getting out of the car. It went away quickly but was strong enough in my left hamstring to get my attention.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I chose to go this pace. I think I could run an 8:30 pace.

Event comments:

A 'class A' race. The women's US silver medalist in the 2008 Beging Olympics was running this race. Certainly adds to the stature. Volunteers great, energy very high and the largest crowd in race history. I've never run with that many people in the same place before. AWESOME!!

Last updated: 2008-09-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:59:00 | 13.1 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 650/1035
Overall: 5751/13175
Performance: Good
Course: Beautiful and flat. Start at the Art Museum and run down the parkway towards City Hall, through the city, back to the Art Museum and up West River Drive across the Falls Bridge and back down Kelly Drive to the finish back at the Art Museum.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-21 4:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Subject: Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run

2008-09-21 6:04 PM
in reply to: #1686950

User image

Expert
Hatboro, PA
Subject: RE: Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run
Good job! This was my fourth year running this race and the elite line-up is always amazing. The first year I ran it, Deanna Kastor was there and broke the half-marathon record. (I think the record has been broken at another race since then?)
2008-09-21 7:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Thanks..of course I need a spell checker on BT..I spelled Beijing 'Beging'...must be the post race fatigue...ate like a horse the rest of the day....

Now I have to get the credit card out and make the commitment to the Philly Marathon...
2008-09-22 7:41 AM

Veteran
You should have joined me at Bishop's Collar after the race. The brewsky was good. Boy, am I feelin' it today. (and not because of the beer).
Soreness has set in. Yeouch.
2008-09-22 9:03 PM
in reply to: #1687593

User image

Veteran
Lansdale, PA
Great job! I woke up sore as could be today too! lol.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run Rss Feed