Austin, Texas
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 59m 38s
Overall Rank = 178/356
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had my teammates over last night for a pasta dinner (and no alcohol allowed!). Got to sleep around 1am and woke up at 6am. Had some cereal and an english muffin sandwich. Left the house at 630a and made it to the race by 7a. Set up the chairs and our "staging area". Race started at 8am. My leg was the 3rd leg of 5 and so I wasn't going to be running until around 10am.
Event warmup:

Just relaxed with my other teammates who were not running at the time and lots of other co-workers. Got ready about 45min before my leg and did some stretching.
Run
  • 1h 03m 7s
  • 6.9 miles
  • 09m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

For those that don't know, this is a marathon relay. There are 5 members and 5 legs. The first leg is 6.2, then 6.9, 6.9, 3.1, 3.1. For a total of 26.2. It was me and 4 other co-workers, including my wife. We've been doing the race every year (4yrs now) and are trying to improve our time. Our goal was to break the 4hr mark (we did by 22sec!!!). We were very happy overall.

I felt pretty good on my leg, especially for only running once in over 2 weeks. I always make the mistake of starting too fast, even though I tell myself to slow down. I started out at 8:40 the first mile then 8:30 the 2nd. Lost track after that but it really started hitting me around 4.5mi. Wanted to stop several times but knew I couldn't let my teammates down. Pushed though it and did pretty well overall. Didn't beat my 8:43 pace from last year (did 9:08 this year), but was pretty pleased considering how little I have run or done any activity other than work lately.
What would you do differently?:

Ummmm....how about, try running some before the big race!
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching, cold towel, gatorade and water. Then sat in the shade and cheered on the rest of my team.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training

Event comments:

We always love doing this race. It is a lot of fun being at these things with several good friends to cheer on and help pass the time. It really tested me physically and mentally and I am proud I pushed through. Ended up with some really sore legs, blister on my foot, and some chafing...but it was worth it. Not a big post-race event. I think after people have been there for 4+ hours everyone is ready to go home. But it is well organized and a race I would recommend to anyone in the area. This was our first year in 4yrs to break the 4hr mark! We've improved our time each year.

Last updated: 2008-06-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:03:07 | 06.9 miles | 09m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/356
Performance: Good
Course: A t-shaped course that gets used a lot for runs and other events in the area.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-21 5:17 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: Silicon Labs Marathon Relay

2008-09-22 8:11 AM
in reply to: #1686986

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: RE: Silicon Labs Marathon Relay
Congrats on beating your goal.  Even if it's just a few seconds, those few seconds can end up having a lot of meaning.  I'm glad you guys had a great time.  Great report!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silicon Labs Marathon Relay Rss Feed