General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DFL - or how to lose a race before the start Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-21 6:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Everett
Subject: DFL - or how to lose a race before the start

well, this was only my second tri.  The first one was 2 weeks ago and I did 'ok'.  3/4 of the way back in all segments and overall.  I trained 4 months for that race.  every day.  I lost 30 pounds and was really really proud of myself. What's different 2 weeks later?  I went on vacation between races - only 6 days with plenty of access to facitilies to continue my training.  But I didn't.  I figured I would just take the 2 weeks off - I mean they talk about tapering, right?  How bad could it be?  I stuck to my good eating habits - even managed to lose weight while we were gone (and we were sitting on the motorcycles for 8+ hours a day).  Got home on Wednesday, race on Saturday.  3 more days of no training, tapering right?  Ya, I know - not how tapering works.  But I convinced myself it was. 

Yesterday and this morning before the race:  I'm nervous, I don't feel ready, I know I've slacked, I convince myself I don't belong out there. 

And my race performance?  Yup.  Sucked Butt.  I was defeated before the horn went off.  Questioned why I was out there.  Questioned my abitily.  Dark cloud over my head.  Can't wait to see pictures, I'm conviced there was a cloud! 

With the horrible swim over, I stumbled through T1 and headed out on the bike.  During the announcements, they talked extensively about the hills on the ride.  Holy Crap.  Ow ow OW!  I ended up walking up 2 different hills.  I tried to keep it quick but I really wasn't ready - physically or mentally - for the hills.  Again, lots of "why am I HERE?!" kind of negative thoughts.  About 7 miles in, I got a flat.  The front at least - but that was the tire we didn't replace.  There's a wire in the rim of the tire that I struggled with on the rear tire when practicing flat repairs at home.  We ended up replacing the rear tire with a 'better' (easier to change) tire but didn't replace the front.  I rode on a flat for .5 miles.  Finally found a decent turn out and changed my mind frame from "Eff this Chit" to "pull your damn self up and knock it off"  I hustled and got the tube changed with far less grief from the tire than I expected and hopped back on the bike for the downhill remainder of the bike portion.  I pushed it hard being (temporarily) back in a positive mind set. 

T2 and my legs were on fire.  God - I'm such a rookie.  There went my positive mind set.  I morphed from "happy" back to "grumpy" faster than you can say Snow White and started walking the run. 

I finished though - thanks in part to a thread I read on BT:  someone said that "DFL>DNF>DNS"  I was at least going to finish.  I couldn't make up enough time on my run but I COULD finish.  Still grumpy and now sore in places I haven't been before, but I was going to finish. 

I was met at the finish line by my son, his friend, and my (newly engaged) fiancee (he proposed on vacation!).  They were thrilled and excited and tried to cheer me up.  I was gloomy though.  And tired.  My thighs were on fire.  My shoulders hurt (apparently grumpy makes me tense my shoulders as well!!).  I just wanted to cry. 

I saw the preliminary results.  858th out of 870 or so.  I think there were still more finishing but seeing my name with only a FEW names following it in finishing order....and nobody to blame but myself. 

I know that as a 'big girl' I can't follow the same training routines as other athletes.  I know that I can't slack off on training and expect to feel as powerful or even capable as I could.  And I know I only have myself to blame for finish.  But I'm not quitting.  I've got all winter to train and come back stronger next year.  And learn that attitude is part of the equation!! 

2008-09-21 6:37 PM
in reply to: #1687073

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: DFL - or how to lose a race before the start
Lauralynne - 2008-09-21 6:31 PM

I finished though - thanks in part to a thread I read on BT:  someone said that "DFL>DNF>DNS"  I was at least going to finish.  I couldn't make up enough time on my run but I COULD finish.  Still grumpy and now sore in places I haven't been before, but I was going to finish.... 

I was met at the finish line by my son, his friend, and my (newly engaged) fiancee (he proposed on vacation!).  They were thrilled and excited and tried to cheer me up....   

But I'm not quitting.  I've got all winter to train and come back stronger next year.  And learn that attitude is part of the equation!! 

I edited out all the parts that won't matter by the time you race again next year.

2008-09-21 7:32 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Congrats on the finish, regardless of the placing!!.

You learn from your mistakes, if you are like most of us on here, you won't make the same mistake twice, treat it as a learning curve experience, rock your training over the winter and come back to this race next year and show it who's boss!!

2008-09-21 8:46 PM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Girlfriend, you should be damn proud of yourself! You started a race with "doubts", ran into some "obstacles" and could have used them (that dang flat) as an excuse to DNF, but you DIDN'T.

YOU KEPT GOING!!!

When the going got tougher, you kept going. We are harder on ourselves than anyone else. Learn from this experience, but hold your head high. Very high in fact, because you weren't last (even they should hold their head high).

Now, for next year, no negative talking to yourself! Only positive talking aloud!

Congrats on the engagement
2008-09-22 7:32 AM

Veteran
Wow, I think you did amazing! You can't believe how many times I was last (you get huge applause) or very close to it. As a matter of fact, you would beat my butt any day.
Keep going!
Rhonda
2008-09-22 8:10 AM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, NH

I can absolutely relate to how you felt and yep it resulted in DFL.  Attitude makes a huge difference.  I'm glad you are ready to go for next season.  If you think how many changes you have made this season just imagine the improvements you can make over the winter.  The most important thing I realized is that triathlon has to be fun. 

I had another BTer tell me that there is nothing you can do within 10 days of a race to help but you can certainly do things to hurt.  You weren't really outside the window. 

Congrats on overcoming and finishing!

2008-09-22 8:58 AM

Been there and done that. Last year missed a lot of training because of my job and injuries. Needless to say I was not ready for a TRI that I had signed up for months earlier. Went ahead and did it, but it was a struggle just to make it to the finish line.

This year had a good consistant training season. Did the same TRI just to prove to myself I could do it. Finshed 21 minutes faster then last year. Finished third in my age group. Set a personal best.

Having a bad performance, helped keep me motivated over the year to not let the same thing happen again. It paid off. Just use the experience in a positive way to keep focused.
2008-09-22 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Everett
results posted - #879 out of #899 finishers, #10 out of 13 in my Athena group.  I feel a little better...and determined to kick butt next year!
2008-09-22 9:24 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
You finished after struggling with fixing a flat?  Geez, you are tougher than me!  I think that if I caught a flat, that would end the race for me.  I haven't even tried to fix one yet.

Edited by pga_mike 2008-09-22 9:27 AM
2008-09-22 9:41 AM
in reply to: #1687821

User image

Extreme Veteran
Upstate, SC
What happened happened. It is now your choice as to whether it ever happens again. A race or experience like that reminds you why you train. I always think of those feelings when I am on a long run, bike, or swim. I hate the feeling of knowing I didn't prepare like I could have. Don't beat yourself up, just don't let it happen again! You owe it to yourself! DFL is always better than DNS!
2008-09-22 9:44 AM

User image

Expert
Simi Valley
Awesome job, triathlete!

2008-09-22 12:33 PM

User image

Congrats for finishing...and  despite serious obstacles a flat? Are you kidding me? You dealt with all that and still finished way better than DFL!  Finishing despite all that you went through shows what they used to call "True Grit..."
2008-09-22 2:04 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
remember its better to be under trainied than over trained. In other words 2 weeks of not doing anything should not hurt you as much as you might thing. I did a 5k swim in cold water with no wet suit and I did not even swim for like 5 weeks.
2008-09-22 4:00 PM
in reply to: #1688662

User image

Champion
the colony texas

chirunner134 - 2008-09-22 2:04 PM remember its better to be under trainied than over trained. In other words 2 weeks of not doing anything should not hurt you as much as you might thing. I did a 5k swim in cold water with no wet suit and I did not even swim for like 5 weeks.

Todd I think the saying is its better to be under trained than to over train and be injured..
think how much better your swim would have been if you trained for it those 5 weeks

Update your logs,, get on your bike,, Ride,, ride and ride

2008-09-22 8:23 PM

User image

Harrison Twp
As a person who just started to train today in this multisport, I say congrat! i will not care if i come in last i will know that i put all of it into the race, as i have with all my races and training. I have come in near last in most of my running races since i started running 20 years ago, i have been passed by people who a 3 times my age, they did their best, i did my best, thats all that counts is sticking to your dreams and doing the best you can. keep up the hard work, MIchele
2008-09-22 9:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Land of Mickey-Orlando
Girlfriend...Lets chat...one plus size athlete to another....

1. You got up and toed the line.
2. You made it through the swim without life support
3. You fixed a flat *&^%^$% tire ON the course...
4. You made it through the miles with a 4 alarm fire in your quads
5. You crossed the line and FINISHED.

There is some schumuck at home who signed up for your race and never showed UP!! Pat yourself on the back, highfive your own hard earned effort and realize that you did more today than most people do in a week!! Im very proud of you (if that means anything) and you came in 10 out of 13 in your age group with NO TRAINING!!! Holy moley!! Are you kidding!! Girl...you rock in my book!!! Keep moving forward...stay on plan..and most importantly...keep it in perspective. You just got ENGAGED!!! Whats more important??

Wishing you all the best!!!!

2008-09-23 12:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Everett
thanks everyone - I'm feeling more positive about it today.  I'm going to chalk it up to a lesson learned and I wasn't absolutely last.  There might be a day that I am but I will do everything in my control to be my best at each and every start line. 
2008-09-23 1:22 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
Others have said this, but I think this kind of experience is really important. It's what keep you motivated during the long cold dark winter months. I always feel kinda bad for the people who come in first or podium their first tri. I mean, where is their motivation going to come from? I've been in your position, and I've been in the position of having the wins come "easy." Trust me, I get a LOT more satisfaction - and learning - from the times it was hard. Sounds cliched, but it's true. You learned a lot about yourself, and you will appreciate every gain so much more now.

Way to HTFU, triathlete!!
2008-09-23 7:38 AM

User image

Veteran

As everyone prior to me has said ... You did it! You finished what you set out to do! That is really all that matters. Could you have done better with 2 weeks of workouts ... maybe. Maybe, it just wasn't your "A" day. We all have days that are tougher than others. Keep it up. YOU are AWSOME, stand up, be counted, be PROUD ... YOU FINISHED!!!

PEACE

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DFL - or how to lose a race before the start Rss Feed