Canada
Multisport Canada
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 01m 58s
Overall Rank = 49/119
Age Group = Women 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Had MCD 1/2 muffin and coffee on the road as usual. Hubby drove and it took ~2hrs. Got to the site an hr before race time.
Event warmup:

None. Splash some water on my face and walk around in the water a bit to acclimatise myself to the water temperature.
Swim
  • 12m 11s
  • 400 meters
  • 03m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

Walked out as much as I could. Because of my frozen shoulder, I did one arm breast stroke from beginning to end. And since I don't have the strength to put on and take off a wetsuit and I needed to do breast stroke, I had purchased a long sleeve swimsuit and swim shirt for the event. It worked very well. The first few strokes felt cold, but no worse than when you first jumped in the water in the pool. But within 50m, I was warm and not having a wetsuit was not a problem. Even when I didn't have a frozen shoulder, I was a slow swimmer. Today, with one good arm and one frozen shoulder doing the "turtle stroke", I think I was 2nd last in my wave, beating only one very old guy who must be 70 years old doing his first tri.
What would you do differently?:

Given that I have one good arm and one frozen shoulder, I think I did the best I could to complete the swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

No wetsuit to take off made things much easier. But lack of shoulder range of motion meant everything took longer.
Bike
  • 33m 12s
  • 15 kms
  • 27.11 km/hr
Comments:

Race organizer made a mistake and bike course ended up 15k instead of 10k. It worked to my advantage as that gave me more time to make up for my slow swim. Passed a bunch of people. However, I could have been much faster if I hadn't been held up following a slow car hauling a boat making a left turn, all this on an uphill. A lot of people caught up to me while I slowed down and waited for the car to complete the turn.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

A little bit of a problem unclipping on the wrong side and the bike ended up on the side of my frozen shoulder. Had to go around the bike so bike is on the side of the left shoulder. Then went to the wrong rack. Again, shoulder's lack of range of motion meant everything took longer.
Run
  • 13m 40s
  • 2.5 kms
  • 05m 28s  min/km
Comments:

Nobody passed me but I passed more people.
Post race
Warm down:

Collected my medal and had my podium picture taken. Met up with Anne and her group and celebrate the last race of the season.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Frozen shoulder, obviously.

Event comments:

This is a very satisfying race for me, and not just because I won. The last few months have been tough, getting injured so seriously and not knowing when, or even if, I'll recover. I was in denial at first, then angry, then sad. What's the point of training, I had kept asking myself. Somehow I convinced myself to shoot for one little tri before the end of the season, not win, just to complete, even though this is a hugh step down from competing at the Worlds just 3 mth ago. When I got back in the pool last month, I couldn't even lift my arm out of the water. So I was ecstatic to complete the swim today, even though this was easily the slowest swim ever in my life. And to come through with a first place finish - a small race, but a hugh victory as I finally stopped feeling sorry for myself. Perhaps this win will keep me motivated through the winter into next season as I continue on this long road to recovery.

Race album is here http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnail...

NB - Overall rankings include men, which I always find to be a little meaningless. Excluding men, I was 19/64 overall

Last updated: 2008-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:11 | 400 meters | 03m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 89/119
Performance: Average
Suit: long sleeve swimsuit
Course: Looped Course with the start in knee deep water. The water at Lakeside is clean and clear, there are some weedy patches but the course steers clear of the vast majority.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:36
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:33:12 | 15 kms | 27.11 km/hr
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 35/119
Wind: None
Course: T-Shaped Out-&-Back Course with short variable pitched rollers and long flat sections Race organizer made a mistake and set up a 15k course instead of a 10k course
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:13:40 | 02.5 kms | 05m 28s  min/km
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 33/119
Course: Very Gently Rolling Out-&-Back Course. The first & last 800m is paved and the remainder is on a soft dirt road
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-22 2:26 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Subject: Lakeside II Triathlon

2008-09-22 8:15 AM
in reply to: #1687451

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario
Subject: RE: Lakeside II Triathlon

Congrats on your AG first place finish Patricia!  I am really impressed with how you did despite your shoulder injury incurred last June.  What a great motivation and moral booster! 

2008-09-22 12:13 PM
in reply to: #1687451

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Subject: RE: Lakeside II Triathlon
Congrats on your first place finish! You definitely deserve it!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lakeside II Triathlon Rss Feed