General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NYC Marathon.. help with logistics Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-22 6:32 AM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Subject: NYC Marathon.. help with logistics
Hi

I am doing the NYC Marathon this year. It will be my first marathon and I am absolutely pumped.

I have trained hard and I still have a ways to go, but I am confident that I will finish standing and smiling however, the one thing that I am struggling with is the logistics of it all so if any of you have done this race in the past, please, please help me out.

First, let me say that getting a hotel room for the night before just isn't in the budget... so that's out of the question.

I live on eastern Long Island, about a 1 hour drive (in normal conditions from Manhattan). My transportation assignment is : Midtown Manhattan (New York Public Library) at 5:00 AM.

So, what do I do?

Should I drive into Manhattan that morning (I'd probably have to leave my house at like 3:00am), park in a garage (if they're even open) near the library/

Should I drive to Staten Island and try to get as close to the race start as possible? But then I have to get back to Staten Island to get my car?

Should I take the LIRR into Penn Station (do trains even run that early?) on the day of the race?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I am stressing over this soooo much that I am thinking of it when I should be sleeping!

2008-09-22 12:31 PM
in reply to: #1687511

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: RE: NYC Marathon.. help with logistics
Logistically speaking, it is a bit of a nightmare navigating your way to the start line (at least it was for us being out of towners).

If you miss your transportation assignment, there are plenty of other ways to get to the start line. DH took the ferry over and as it turns out, they were just putting everyone on the bus up to the start from there (didn't matter if you had paid for it or not). So that's always an option. We took a 7ish ferry across I believe.

When you check in at the expo, there will be an area where you can change your morning arrangements just after you pick up your race packet and t-shirt.

My husband ran NYC last year...so we had all sorts of drama getting everything coordinated, especially since we stayed in Westport, CT. They had special trains running at various hours through the wee hours of the morning for the athletes.

After your first marathon, there is a strong possibility that you will not want to drive (unless you've got a family member or friend who is willing to take the train in and drive you home). In your position, I'd rely on the trains to get you to where you need to go so it's one less thing you have to stress out about.

2008-09-22 3:19 PM
in reply to: #1688425

Veteran
I gotta agree, (though I've never done a marathon): you have to be too tired after the race to drive. As a native, I am definitely against driving to Staten Island. It would be a nightmare getting from Central Park back to Staten Island, then driving over the VZ bridge and back out east.

I would hope the LIRR runs extra trains for the marathon. Getting from Penn Station to the library will be easy. Is anyone from your home town coming in for the race? Maybe you can drive in at 3am, but have someone from home take the train in and drive your tired self home.
If you do drive in, check with some veterans, but I think they push you pretty far north before exiting the park, so think about that when looking for parking.

Edited by big joe 2008-09-22 3:26 PM
2008-09-22 7:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tinton Falls, NJ
Mike,

I've run the marathon 4x ('95, '96' '02 & '05) & will be running it again this yr (serving as my 1st 'race' back after a little layoff). I have some similar travel issues coming from NJ & would suggest trying to get a ride to Staten Island that morning if at all possible.

I'm not familiar w/ the LIRR schedule, but as you & the other posts noted, you're likely going to have to get up RIDICULOUSLY early on Sunday morning to get from home to NYC & then out to SI. What I have always done is get a ride to SI (I'm only about 50mins so it's not a huge issue), meet my friends/family at the finish line & then take the train home. If this is your 1st marathon, you're likely not going to want to feel like driving out of the city - h#ll, I hate to drive in/out of the city period!

Something you may also want to look into is whether or not the local running clubs are offering a bus service to the start line. Our local club does this and really is a nice option.

PS - My race report from '05 where I PRd in 2:49 is posted here. It has some details regarding pacing & the course which you may find helpful.

Let me know what your final plans are as it always great to put some faces w/ the names come race day. See you at the start line!!
2008-09-22 7:18 PM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Great news!! A running store here on LI (Runner's Edge in Farmingdale) offers a bus service from their store right to the starting area for $45. The best part is, if you take a bag or things with you, you can keep them on the bus and it will be kept safe. You can then board the bus and get a ride home.

The best part is, if your family/friends take the train in, they can take the bus home with you for free.

And, it gets even better, If you decide not to take the bus home (I know, what about your stuff?) they keep your things at the store and you can pick it up when you get a chance.

I will definitely drop some money at this store in the future.
2008-09-22 8:18 PM

User image

Regular
Erbil

I lived in East Northport for 12 years, ran NYC in 2005.  I feel your pain.  Runner's Edge is a great option.  I believe that many local running clubs on LI have buses to Manhattan race morning.  Check out GLIRC's website or Northport Running Club for information.  Good Luck.  It is a great race, especially a "first marathon." 

Scott

2008-09-22 9:15 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » NYC Marathon.. help with logistics Rss Feed