Multisport Canada
20F / -7C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 07m 49s
Overall Rank = 171/211
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 8/9
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30 AM got all my gear together. Had oatmeal for breakfast. Loaded up the car and headed out. Picked up a coffee to drink on the way. It was about an hour drive. Once I got there and was unloading my stuff I realized I left my wetsuit at home. What a waste of a rented wetsuit.
Event warmup:

Not much. Got my stuff set up. talked to a few competitors. Met a couple of other BTers. Stretched a bit and warmed up my arms.
Swim
  • 16m 21s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was cold getting into the water without a wet wuit. I was in the fourth wave so I watched the other waves go out while getting acclimatized to the water. It still gives me shivers watching each wave go out. Had a great race. Felt good all the way through. Excellent siting. looked every 12th stroke and it worked beautifully. Best wim yet and best time ever for 750 meters.
What would you do differently?:

nothing really. I might have gained a few seconds with a wet suit but I don't hink it would have made much differnce overall.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

I lost my balance as I crossed the mount line and ended up taking a header into the sandy gravel at the side of the road. Nothing hurt, no damage to the bike or me except my pride.

Try not to fall off my bike!!!!!!
Bike
  • 1h 04m
  • 30 kms
  • 28.12 km/hr
Comments:

Overall a pretty good course lots of rolling hills. Just enough hills to make you work. About halfway through the race I lost the rear sprocket changer cable. The covering split and the cable just popped out. Without the tension on the cable I was unable to change gears so I went the balance of the race with only the two gears on the front sprocket. Thankfully the rear gear was in the highest speed. It did make for some interesting climbs and made me think more when approaching any uphill sections.

I think I need to get my seat adjusted better as I started getting a sore back about 20 K into the ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

I only had to rack my bike and take off my helmet. I was at the far end of the transtion zone so I had to run my bike all the way through.

Nothing.
Run
  • 44m 54s
  • 7.5 kms
  • 05m 59s  min/km
Comments:

Felt pretty good but I was still too slow. I kept thinking about my stride and lengthing it out but then I would go back to counting cadance and after awhile realize I had shortened my stride again. didn't havbe much left for a sprint at the end.

I still want to increase my stride. I think I will work with a running group over the winter to improve that area of my triathlons.
Post race
Warm down:

Just breathe. Walked around a bit. Grab a bite to eat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need a tri bike. I am getting killed on the biking section. My running needs to be improve also.
Overall just more training.

Event comments:

Once again HSBC and MultisportCanada put on a great event. Lakeside was the best races I attended this year. I love how the transiton area is located so close to the swim bike and run courses. Very compact but well organized site. The volunteers were very good. The awards were done very well also. Didn't have to wait long for results.

Last updated: 2008-09-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:21 | 820 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 160/211
Performance: Good
Suit: no
Course: offical website pace was 2.11 per 100 m. Triangular course with the longest leg being the first leg.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:27
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:04:00 | 30 kms | 28.12 km/hr
Overall: 173/211
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on country roads. This was a new course so nobody had ridden it before. One 12k stretch was newly paved. That was great to ride on. Mostly rolling country side
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:54 | 07.5 kms | 05m 59s  min/km
Overall: 170/211
Course: Out and back on gravel country roads. Surprisingly it was quite hilly. I seemd to be running either uphill or donw most of the way. The flatest part was about the 1st K.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-22 8:14 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: HSBC Lakeside II Triathlon

2008-09-23 12:36 PM
in reply to: #1687651

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Subject: RE: HSBC Lakeside II Triathlon
Wow! That was a great swim, especially with no wetsuit!! Nice job on the tri!!!
2008-09-24 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
I hope the water wasn't too cold.  Sorry about the bike.  That must have been tough.  Way to stick it out.  Great job! 
2008-09-24 12:54 PM

User image

Expert
Montana
Well, one thing I've learned; there is no 'normal'. Public bike falls are very common. You seem to have handled all the 'extra' stuff with comparative calm. Good job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HSBC Lakeside II Triathlon Rss Feed