General Discussion Race Reports! » Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
United States
Oklahoma Redman Triathlon
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 00m 6s
Overall Rank = 14/314
Age Group = 30-34 Male
Age Group Rank = 3/37
Pre-race routine:

Let me preface this with these thoughts. I have only done one other 1/2 Ironman event and that was in 2005. Since then I have two Ironman races and loved every minute of it. So I thought I should give this distance a try again. My goal time was to break 5 hours (my previous time was 5:48), I wanted to go 25 minutes in the swim, 2 hour 20 minutes on the bike and try and break 2 hours on the run. Yes, I know, I am not a runner. :) That would put me at 4:45 without transitions, and I figured about 5 minutes total for those, so goal time of breaking 5 hours would be doable. . .
Here we go. . . . .

Woke up and had a half banana, 1/2 bottle accelerade and a bottle of Gatorade. Right before the start, I downed a GU and some water and headed off to the swim.
Event warmup:

I swam about 200 yards for warmup. . just try and get the arms loose and heart rate up a little.
Swim
  • 26m 43s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

I wanted to go 25 minutes for the swim, so I am a little disappointed in my swim time, but I realize that I still had a good swim and am happy with being first out of the water. I am not trying to say that I am so fast and should go 25 minutes, but I had set up goals for the swim, bike, and run. And 25 minutes was my goal.
What would you do differently?:

Not much I could do differently. At the far buouy I started to catch the Ironman triathletes and had to naviagete through them. It got really bad when I was close the finish and had to swim through about 25 of them.
Transition 1
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

I got out of the water, to the strippers and to my bike pretty quick, I threw my shoes and helmet on, but for some reason didn't put on my sunglasses but decided to run with those in my hand for some reason. I started to get on my bike before the mount line and then realized that I had my sunglasses in my hand, so I put those on and jogged another 10 feet to the mount line. I had a little trouble getting going up the short incline, but overall I was happy with my whole transition.

Put my sunglasses on right after my helmet.
Bike
  • 2h 27m 34s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.77 mile/hr
Comments:

I left the water in first and knew that I would have to really go and try and put some more time on those that were really good runners. I hit the bike course and just went. Took a while to get my Hear Rate down, but just kept going and hammering the bike. One thing about being out in the lead, is that the intersection volunteers and the police aren't really ready till the first person comes through, so as I am avoiding traffic they are scrambling to shut down the intersections for me and of course for those to come. I almost got hit on the way back to the finish by a truck, it was really too close!

I had a very good bike overall, I wanted to go 2 hours 20 minutes, but knew at the turn around, that it wasn't going to happen, so I tried to focus on just coming back as fast as I went out. A cool thing about being out in front was after the turnaround, (I didn't see the next athlete till about 1.5 to 2 miles and then I started to see everyone) is that everyone is telling me good job and keep going and you are flying and spectators are taking pictures and yelling for you, etc. That's what it must be like to be a pro, too bad I am just a poser age grouper that can swim decent and bike good. :)

I figured someone might catch me on the bike but no one did. So I was happy with that. I got a good look at where everyone was and how they looked after the 28 mile turnaround and I just put the head down and hammered back home.
First 28 mile split time: 1 hour 13 minutes 11 seconds
Second 27 mile split time: 1 hour 14 minutes 22 seconds

Take in some salt tablets on the bike, especially since the sun was out and it was hitting low 80s pretty quickly.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

I had a good transition. I am finally starting to be happy with these.

I was first into transition and when I came in, the announcer said, "our first Team Half Ironman competitor is in, No, wait. . . it is our race leader, Jared Kuntz". . blah blah blah, and he started to read off my race facts and who was there to watch me (Wife, Sister-in-law).

That was really cool and gave me a good pump up, as I was leaving transition, he was saying I was flying (well up to that point) and that I had a huge lead, so that helped me go faster too. . although. . I knew the footsteps were coming.

Nothing, maybe grab some gatorade on the way out from the volunteers. It was starting to get hot and the sun was intense.
Run
  • 2h 03m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Who do you think needs to work on their running? Hmm. . ????
ME!!!!!! Yes, I know. I am really that upset or surprised by my run time and realize that a lot of work needs to go into this portion and it will. I wanted to break 2 hours for the half marathon, so 2:03 is not that great. If I could run, then I would be half way good, but I am not, so I will kee working.

Here is what happened. Coming out of transition I felt good, hit the first mile and it was a 7:58, alright, that is good, back off a little and then hold it for the first 6 miles and then just run it home. Well at the first aid station right after the 1 mile mark I grabbed some water and gatorade and kept plugging, knowing that "they" would be coming. Then it started to happen, and all I could think, was oh no. .not now!!! My left hamstring started to twinge, then it started to move and then it cramped up big time. I stopped dead in my tracks at 1.5 miles and was in so much pain, I tried to stretch standing up, but then finally fell over from the pain and to try and stretch some more. I thought I worked it out and stood back up, only for it to cramp again. .. Here are my thoughts at this point.
" I looked back to the start and thought about how far back I would have to walk and call it a day, I thought about quitting, the pain was so bad and I knew that I was not a good runner anyway, let alone with pain in my hamstring and the cramping that was going on. I thought about how far I had come and if just somehow I could walk it off and if anything to just finish"

I got back up and it cramped again, I fell to the ground. At this point a spectator came over and asked if I was ok. I said, I was and it was just a cramp. I stretched it out again and got up, the pain was still there a little bit, but the major camping was gone. So I started to walk and that turned into a jog. I tried to hold back a little and was actually usuing my right leg to push off of more. I am sure it was a sight. I kept running and just figured I would give it all I had and would stretch it out as necessary.

I think I drank about 1000 oz of gatorade after that point to try and get salt into my system. I just kept running knowing that the fast runners were coming. At one point I could here the volunteers cheering for them at the aid stations that I passed and finally it happened, two guys came past, the first was a Half Iron Team Member, so he didn't matter to me, the second was a 26 year old and I told him that he looked good and he was now in first. .. he said "not for long, they are coming". I smiled to myself and tried to pace off of him the best I could. At the turnaround point I was in 3rd place, but saw a bunch of guys coming fast up behind me. A lot of them were Half Iron Relay team members and a lot of 40 year olds. .

At this point I kept looking at the legs of those who past me to count how many 30-34 year olds passed me, I only counted two all the way to the end.

At the finish I could tell that it would be close to break my 5 hour goal. . .I gave it all I had and at the finish saw the clock hit 5 hours. . 1 second, 2 seconds, 3 seconds, 4 seconds, 5 seconds, 6 seconds, FINISH. . . I was exhausted!!!!!!

Take in more salt on the bike. ..If I wouldn't of had the cramp, I could have broken 5 hours. .
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water. . I was exhausted. Got my shirt, medal, etc. .grabbed some food, got a massage, talked with other athletes, I was happy to be done.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cramp on the run. .I am not saying I would have smoked the run by any means, but could have gone at least 3-5 minutes faster.

Event comments:

REDMAN IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last updated: 2008-07-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:43 | 2112 yards | 01m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/37
Overall: 1/314
Performance: Good
Max HR: 187 96% AVG HR: 169 87%
Suit: Xterra Ventilator Sleeveless
Course: It was a 1 loop course and the course was sort of weird. Seemed longer than 1.2 miles, but I guess it always does.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:17
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:27:34 | 56 miles | 22.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/37
Overall: 3/314
MAX HR: 182 94% AVG HR: 170 88%
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back course. False flats, some long hills but not any significant climbs. The roads were crap on the far out section and that is saying something since I live in Missouri and our roads are really bad. There was one section, that was chip and seal. That was rough, the whole bike just rattles and you rattle and everything slows down. I did like the course, but the roads were tough to manage.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:03:23 | 13.1 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/37
Overall: 100/314
Performance: Average
Mile 1: 7:58 Mile 2: 10:02 Mile 3: 8:48 Mile 4: 10:00 Mile 5: 8:32 Mile 6: 9:13 Mile 7: 9:17 Mile 8: 9:02 Mile 9: 9:29 Mile 10: 9:40 Mile 11: 9:32 Mile 12: 10:19 Mile 13(.1): 11:27
Course: Pretty flat course around the lake, paved trails with very very little shad. Runs along a jogging/bike path.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-22 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman

2008-09-22 9:29 AM
in reply to: #1687695

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kansas City, MO
Subject: RE: Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman
Grat race man, I saw you come out of the water and in on the bike, and probably at the finish too though I was playing camera man at the time for Wingsfan.  Congrats!

Edited by ColdRingo6 2008-09-22 9:29 AM
2008-09-22 10:57 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
O... M... G!
You lead the entire freaking race until miles into the run?!?!?!
Simply amazing. Huge congrats!!

2008-09-22 11:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I was one of the racers coming the other way telling you "great job man". Clearly remember thinking what a huge lead you had since it took several minutes before I saw the next bike.

Consoled myself by thinking you had to be a relay member  You were rockin`!!

About the 4th or 5th bike I saw was JeepFleeb pulled over fixing a flat (he came in 3rd in the Aquabike Half). 

I can only envy your swim and bike performance, I might just have to use your times as motivation to shoot for this off season.

Oh, one more thing, I use SaltSticks for my electrolyte suppliment. I don't cramp up usually, but get fatigue/migrains post race if I don't keep my electrolytes up. I've never had any GI problems with the SaltSticks and they seem to have higher concentrations that Enduralytes and such, so you don't have be constantly popping them to get enough.

Hope to see you at more events next year. You planning on doing the Kansas 70.3 in June?

2008-09-22 2:14 PM
in reply to: #1688176

User image

Expert
Missouri
wingsfan - 2008-09-22 11:01 AM

I was one of the racers coming the other way telling you "great job man". Clearly remember thinking what a huge lead you had since it took several minutes before I saw the next bike.

Consoled myself by thinking you had to be a relay member  You were rockin`!!

About the 4th or 5th bike I saw was JeepFleeb pulled over fixing a flat (he came in 3rd in the Aquabike Half). 

I can only envy your swim and bike performance, I might just have to use your times as motivation to shoot for this off season.

Oh, one more thing, I use SaltSticks for my electrolyte suppliment. I don't cramp up usually, but get fatigue/migrains post race if I don't keep my electrolytes up. I've never had any GI problems with the SaltSticks and they seem to have higher concentrations that Enduralytes and such, so you don't have be constantly popping them to get enough.

Hope to see you at more events next year. You planning on doing the Kansas 70.3 in June?

I will be at Kansas 70.3, I signed up in July, it will be a good tough time.   

Thanks for the advice on the SaltSticks, I will be sure to use those  . .

2008-09-22 3:32 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
Awesome race.  Can't help the fact that you aren't the BEST at all 3 disciplines.  Most of us wish we could do one event as well as you did all of them, even despite your cramping you had a great run time.  Congrats on your finish!

2008-09-22 3:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO

Excellent race, despite the hamstring issue. I can totally relate to the tough run that day but you totally killed that race, wtg.

I have had troubles with cramps in the past as well but this time around i loaded up on the endurolyte tabs and had no cramps. I started taking them early on during the bike and it made a difference for me anyways.  Just a thought to get you deep into the 4hr range

I'm planning on doing the IMKansas as well and have already signed up for IMLouisville. Hope to see you next time around and best of luck in future races.

peace, John

2008-09-22 10:46 PM

Champion
No excuses!
It is a gem of a race man. I did the full last year and can't wait to get back there someday. Great job out there. Smokin time!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman Rss Feed