General Discussion Race Reports! » Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
Elite Racing
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 34s
Overall Rank = 855/13179
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 146/921
Pre-race routine:

As usual, I got all of my gear together the night before. The new "D-tag" timing chips make chip attachment much easier, and having a race belt eliminates the pain of making sure the safety pins are all on right.
Event warmup:

On race morning, B and I woke up around six, got dressed, and headed out. We parked about 3/4 mile away, I got a Starbucks, and we walked to the race. We immediately got in line for the porta potties, as the lines were once again ridiculously long. After that, I dropped off my gear at the UPS truck, took a stroll through the bushes at the art museum, and then got in my corral. A small PSA, if you're going to be standing in a tight pack of people, PLEASE WEAR DEODORANT! Thanks.
Run
  • 1h 33m 34s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a great race yesterday. I started out a little too fast, and knew it, but it was hard not to get caught up in the excitement and speed of this race. I slowed down some over the course, but kept up a pretty quick pace (for me) the whole way. I really pushed myself to "HTFU" in the later miles, as my mind really wanted to walk a little. My HR was high the whole race, mainly due to the speed in which I was running. Pushing through helped me PR though, beating my old PR (this race last year) of 1:36:39.
What would you do differently?:

I can't really say that I would do anything differently. I'd like to say that I should start a little slower and try to keep even splits, but I know that I just don't run well that way and think it probably would have hurt more than helped.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some food, water, and Cytomax. Looped back around to wait for B to finish. Once she finished, we headed back to the car. We got back to the hotel, showered quick (already missed checkout, oops!), and then walked to Gino's to get an authentic Philly cheese steak. Yum! (though I think I like Pat's better).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much, really. Just overall training / fitness, I suppose.

Event comments:

Philly is a great race, and I recommend it for those who like half marathons or those looking to do a first half. It's well supported, well staffed, and overall a lot of fun. One gripe, the medals were a lot better last year. They were bigger, and didn't have the stupid ING logo on it. I generally hate medals with the sponsor's logo on it (the Baltimore marathon is an exception, since I just think UA has a cool logo). This is one more of the elite races I've done this year, so I only need San Jose to get the Rockstar medal and San Antonio (registered for both) to get all the medals they offer, including the Super 6! I plan on running San Jose as an easy training run, since I'm racing in the Baltimore marathon 6 days later.

Last updated: 2008-07-07 12:00 AM
Running
01:33:34 | 13.1 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 146/921
Overall: 855/13179
Performance: Good
Splits: 5k = 21:19 10 Km = 43:40 10 Mi = 1:11:04 Avg HR = 172 Max HR = 184
Course: The course is beautiful, shaded, and flat (actually seems a little down hill). I'm not sure if it hits all of the "main" spots of Philly, but it is very scenic. I really like the course they have, and do well racing it. There are a fair number of sharp turns, but that's really to be expected in any older city. It's probably just the way I ran it, but the course ended up being "long." My garmin registered the route I took as 13.45 miles. Running 0.35 miles extra adds up! My garmin said I actually ran the course at a 6:58 min/mile average pace.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-22 9:54 AM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Subject: Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run

2008-09-22 10:09 AM
in reply to: #1687926

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Subject: RE: Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run
Great job, Baby!  To beat your PR by 3 minutes is awesome!  I knew you could do it.  :-)  I think you summarized the race well.  Hopefully we can do it again, since it's a great race and I didn't get my PR. 
2008-09-22 8:59 PM
in reply to: #1687982

User image

Veteran
Lansdale, PA
Awesome job, it really was a fun run!
2008-09-23 6:47 AM
in reply to: #1689539

User image

Expert
Hatboro, PA
Good job! I definitely agree with you on the deodorant thing. Even if a person is going to be stinky at the end of 13.1 miles, they should still start out not stinky.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run Rss Feed