General Discussion Race Reports! » Endless Summer Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Endless Summer Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Long Beach Island, New Jersey
United States
USAT MidAtlantic Regional Sprint Tri. & Du.
Total Time = 1h 02m 27s
Overall Rank = 130/440
Age Group = M 15-19
Age Group Rank = 3/6
Pre-race routine:

**The overall results are skewed because after my wave (4), waves (5-10) swam nearly 100 yards less than the first four waves. The age group placing is right, but there is no way the overall is correct. I looked at my results before waves 7-10 finished and I was in 53rd, but the short swim pretty much allowed eveyone to pass the earlier athletes**

I got up, had some oatmeal and made sure I have everything I needed. I wasn't really nervous until my wave was called into the starting corral.
Event warmup:

Nothing.
Swim
  • 07m 24s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim was scary! It was an ocean swim and there was a brutal rip current with really huge breakers. I ran out into the water and dolphin dove until I couldn't stand anymore. The big breakers knocked pretty much everyone back and my goggles got knocked off.

I decided not to put them back on and to just swim my ass off and sight every once in a while. My strategy worked because when I finally put my head up to sight I was right at the buoy. The swim in was actually harder than the swim out. I swalled a lot of water and I always seemed to breathe right when the breakers crashed. It was a brutal swim, but I was stoked when I came out of the water and saw my time: 7:24!
What would you do differently?:

I have only swam twice in the last seven weeks because of my lung so I exceeded expectations.
Transition 1
  • 03m 52s
Comments:

The transition was a run from the beach, two blocks down to the elementary school, and then the actual transition. It was a long run and I recovered mentally from the swim and got ready for the bike.

Nothing
Bike
  • 26m 23s
  • 8.4 miles
  • 19.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty poor bike for me. The wind never seemed to stop and I could tell my lack of bike training was hurting me. Muscles I didn't even know I had were hurting me and I didn't have much to give. I wasn't passed by anyone so I guess that is a positive, but I really expected more. It was my first race with aero bars and clips and I was slower!

Once again, the collapsed lung prohibited me from training. I only biked four times in the last seven weeks. I was pushing 20 MPH on 15 mile courses now I am struggling for 19 MPH on a sprint course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Took my bike shoes off and put the running shoes on. Got my hat and number and went.

When I decided to get clip pedals I pretty much knew my T2 would be slower because of the shoe switch and it was.
Run
  • 23m 27s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I love running. I got off the bike feeling all sorts of weird muscle pain, but the second I started running I felt none of it. I went out conservative and picked it up the second half of the race. I could have run faster, but I was the only one around me. I looked back and forward on the long street and saw no one. I think if there were more people to catch I could have given more, but I was satisfied with my pace.

Run harder the final two miles. I lost my focus and coasted to the finish. I should have kept attacking! I know I can run sub 22:00 in races.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some food and then cheered on my 48 year old dad who beat me in the swim and bike but had a slower run!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The collapsed lung for one. I only had two weeks to train for this so I am happy that I didn't die but I am discouraged at my lost fitness.

Event comments:

I didn't know what to expect after only training for two weeks. My lung felt fine throughout the whole race! It felt good to be back and get a beach towel for finishing third in my AG!

Last updated: 2008-09-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:24 | 437 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 195/440
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Triangle w/ bouy
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:52
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:26:23 | 08.4 miles | 19.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 155/440
Performance: Bad
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: One loop oceanside
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:27 | 03.1 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 82/440
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-09-22 2:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Subject: Endless Summer Triathlon

2008-09-22 3:13 PM
in reply to: #1688764

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Endless Summer Triathlon

All I can say is WOW! To put up those numbers after all that you have been though is just amazing!

You rock!

2008-09-22 7:13 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

^^^^what he said. 

You amaze me getting a race in after all you went through in the past couple months!

2008-09-26 10:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
You did fantastic, all considered!  Congrats!!  And that's such a great race - that was my last tri of the season last year, though the swim was in the bay (but THAT was a rough swim too b/c it was incredibly choppy).  The bike course was also crazy windy I remember.  GREAT JOB!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Endless Summer Triathlon Rss Feed