Red Rock Company
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 08m 20s
Overall Rank = 78/146
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/27
Pre-race routine:

Got there early, and set up my stuff. Everyone HAD to rack their bikes the day before, right? So I shouldn't come back later to find a dudes bike ON TOP OF my stuff, right? Yeah...no. Dude was a tool too. ANYWAY...hung out with my peeps and tried to not think about the swim.
Event warmup:

Feeling Paulette's junk, and letting my pink HR watch make out with Jen's pink HR watch. Lots of tongue action!
Swim
  • 37m 42s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first RACE in OW without a wet suit. My goal was to not drown, AND to not be a total head case and freak out. I was in the middle of the 250 pack as we got into the water, and instead of getting myself in a better starting point, I sort of freaked a bit about everyone closing in around me and not having room to tread water. So I basically was just trying to keep my head above water, and didn't get out of the way. This was the longest 4 min ever!! Gun went off, and I got run over. One girl actually pushed off my stomach with her hand. Nice. I was trying to go with the flow and sort of swim with head above water so I could see, but it was just a washing machine. If I was going to freak out it was going to be here.....so in an attempt to not let that happen, I kind of let the crowd pull away. Then it was pretty much smooth sailing for me. I was able to just swim my slow but steady speed, and I could get my breathing under control quickly, and didn't have too many times where someone was mashing me and I either had to move away from them, or hope they would quit swimming into me. While swimming I actually felt good and was proud of myself to maintaining a happy head space!!!
What would you do differently?:

I was mad that my time was so slow, but I did what I could.
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

I felt that I went as fast as I could in T1. I RAN all the way out of the water to my bike. After the football field length run out of the water to my bike, I quickly did what I had to do and DID brush the bulk of the dead grass of my feet, but really I didn't waste time and felt good about it.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 46s
  • 27.5 miles
  • 19.47 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good on the bike. I knew it was going to be tough to keep any type of average speed up with all the turns and people packed onto the course, so i just did the best I could and tried to keep hammering. I kept reminding myself also that I still had to run. This wasn't a reverse, and I still needed my legs!
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

I felt quick about this too.
Run
  • 1h 02m 3s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Ugh. It was 90 by this point. The bad thing about this course is there is NO shade. The only shade you get is going under 2 over passes. As much as I wanted to just walk, I kept going. I only walked at the aid station. I would pour some water over my head, trying to keep the excess running off my head onto the cement, and not down my back and into my shoes! Then I would fill my jog bra with ice and keep going. The ice would help cool my core temp, and provided an ice buffet for me to much on while I felt the blood pounding in my hot head. I passed my swim coach midway into lap 1. She was walking and didn't look good. I can't believe I beat her! I keep truding along and would sing songs in my head to try to keep running to a beat. During the last mile I picked a girl to try to overtake. It took a while but I did it. That helped me go a LITTLE faster.
What would you do differently?:

Not be so freaken hot!!! I don't remember it being this hot last year, and I had a super fast run last year. Oh well....
Post race
Warm down:

Get OUT of my wet clothes ASAP.

Event comments:

This race has gone downhill. We used to get a nice spread of food. This year it was bananas, pretzles and animal crackers, oranges and water and gatoraide. Also, 95% of their volunteers are high school kids. I can't tell you how many I saw them standing there texting instead of doing what they should have been doing. Oh well, in a few weeks we will be back for the SOMA half. Same place, same RD, same crap. PLEASE LET IT NOT BE 97 DEGREES LIKE IT WAS LAST YEAR!!!!!!

Last updated: 2008-09-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:42 | 1500 meters | 02m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 0/146
Performance: Average
Suit: no wetsuit
Course: Rectangle, first leg into the sun.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:38
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:24:46 | 27.5 miles | 19.47 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Horrible 4 loop course with 12 90 degree turns and 1 u-turn IN EACH LOOP.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:02:03 | 06.21 miles | 09m 59s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: 2 loops. No shade.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-09-22 2:48 PM

Pro
AZ
Subject: Nathan Triathlon

2008-09-22 3:17 PM
in reply to: #1688781

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Nathan Triathlon

Nice job out there T! You did your first OWS sans wetsuit- that is Huuuuge!

And way to work though the heat on the run. I'll keep my fingers crossed that its less hot and more organized next month!

2008-09-22 4:34 PM

Expert
Somewhere over there in Az
Great job on the SBR, that swim was something that didnt seem like alot of fun, but you did it..
I will talk to Mother nature to reduce the heat for the next event.,..
2008-09-22 4:40 PM

User image

Expert
Phoenix, AZ
Hey Tanya, great job out there. You're making great strides in the swim arena, especially when it comes to your confidence. Sorry the race organization was such a mess, but you did great!
2008-09-22 7:29 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-09-22 9:26 PM

Expert
Chandler, AZ

Congrats on a great race. You looked really strong when you ran by at the start of your 2nd run lap. I was really glad that I was finished. Maybe Jeff the former RD did not get enough credit. It seems that several people had issues with the race.

You are ready for the SOMA half! 

2008-09-22 9:41 PM

Appleton, Wisconsin
Nice job not freaking out on the swim- and keeping going, you ran the run... in 97 degrees yet!  Maybe you should develop a product to facilitate the ice bra concept.   I'm sure it would sell like hotcakes in AZ.
2008-09-23 8:13 PM

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
Hey nice job with the no wetsuit OWS, aint so bad is it. Now we need pics of the "event warm-up".
2008-09-23 9:43 PM

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
You're tough on yourself. Nice race considering the heat! And congratulations on the swim!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nathan Triathlon Rss Feed