General Discussion Race Reports! » Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
United States
Oklahoma Redman Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 24m 31s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 35/50
Pre-race routine:

Drove over on Friday to stay with a friend who was doing the race as his first triathlon ever. We did some last minute purchases and went to pre-race meeting and picked up packets and left the bikes. Saw Jeepfleeb and several other BTer's but did not want to give away my lurker status so decided against introducing my self.
Event warmup:

We did not want to get overly excited so we rolled into transition area about 6:50 or so. Full IM started at 7:15 and half started at 7:30 so we had plenty of time. Needless to say, we were a few of the last ones, if not last, to get set up.

Since I did not do almost anything for the two weeks leading up to the event, I did not see any point in warming up now. The walk from the car just to get there in time was enough.
Swim
  • 37m 55s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Funniest thing to happen all day occurred on the swim. The water was shallow enough between the bouy and the shore to stand up. Some dude was walking while bending over with his head near the water and moving his arms like he was swimming. Tried to draft off him but couldn't.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Stayed on the outside mostly so should have stayed nearer the bouys and tried to draft off someone actually swimming.
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Biggest mistake of the day probably happened here. Sat down to put on shoes (don't have the jump on the bike thing yet) but did not dry my feet off enough and still had some grit on them. It was 60 degrees when I got on the bike and it took a long time for my feet to get warm.

Take the time to dry my feet completely.
Bike
  • 3h 03m
  • 56 miles
  • 18.36 mile/hr
Comments:

Started really strong (for me) on the bike and was averaging just under 20 mph at the turn around. Problem was that I made the rookie mistake of continuing to try to keep that pace on the way in and the hills, while not big, took their toll. Had to stop at the turnaround to get the grit off my feet. Hated to stop but was so glad I did. Legs were fried for the run. The good news was that there was none of the notorious wind that I had heard so much about so that was good.

Back off and keep a pace that I know I can get off the bike and at least have a shot at running.
Transition 2
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

I knew getting off the bike that my legs were toast. I just took it easy and tried to move methodically to the next step.

Not much other than train/race smarter so as not to be so drained for the run.
Run
  • 2h 37m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

Nothing really to say except that my thighs were screaming so loud I could not hear. Kept an 11 min pace for first three miles but that was it. Tried to run for 5 min then walk one but could not even make that work so I ended up just running for as long as could and just walking when I had to which was quite much. Tried to take my time through the aide stations. Certainly could not have made it without them. All those people get my vote for whatever elected office for which they choose to run.

Made the mistake of pouring too much water on my head at one point and got my feet wet which translated into a good blister. Got to the last straight away when I could hear the announcer so I just tried to relax and run (not very fast though) probably the last half to 3/4 mile.

Back off on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much of anything specific. I had walked so much that I really didn't need to warm down in any particular way.

Event comments:

Other than my buddy beating me by 28 min, I met all my other goals:
1. Finish
2. Not finish last
3. Finish under 6:30

Despite my overall misery on the run, I do not have enough good things to say about this race. Some were not in anyone's control such as weather, water temp, etc, but as far as volunteers and overall organization of the race, it was fantastic.

Last updated: 2008-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:55 | 2112 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/50
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Counter clockwise rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance:
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:03:00 | 56 miles | 18.36 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:25
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:37:52 | 13.1 miles | 12m 03s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back on Lake Hefner. Very flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-22 3:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Surrounded by 6 states
Subject: Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman

2008-09-22 4:01 PM
in reply to: #1688868

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO
Subject: RE: Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman

Congrats on your half iron finish. You had a great race!

peace, John

2008-09-22 8:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Way to gut it out and finish. I hear ya on the wet feet thing. I've never understood how people can dump water all over themselves and not get soggy feet. The only sponge I took on the whole run was to clean off the sticky Gatorade I'd spilled on my hands.....
2008-09-22 10:44 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Awesome job man, way to go!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman Rss Feed