Westchester Triathlon
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 45m 31s
Overall Rank = 255/864
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 24/48
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and put on some warm clothes. It was freezing. Ate a waffle, a banana and a cup of coffee. Had a little gel before heading out to the swim.

Mom and sis stayed over the night before bc they were racing at another race close to my house.
Event warmup:

Warmed up by swimming a bit. After running a little late and then heading to the portos I didnt have much time to get an actual WU in. Swam a little to get the wetsuit on properly and then stayed in the water for a while to stay warm. Water was warmer than the air.
Swim
  • 31m 10s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

What an awful swim but I guess thats what you get when you only swim 1 time all summer. This was by far my slowest time at this distance ever, by about 5 mins. After the first turn it was a sea of jellyfish and one got me right in the armpit. It stung like a mutha. The current was also bad on the way in. At one point I sighted and then a few minutes later I sighted again but didnt move. My sighting sucked too. A combo of orange caps with orange buoys and a strong sun made navigation tough. Looked at my watch after the race and thought WTF?
What would you do differently?:

Train
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

My T1 was ok. Im usually faster but that swim really threw me off. My stomach was in shambles and I was a little hungry.

Not too much, I was 42 O/A.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 57s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.13 mile/hr
Comments:

I tried to hold 20 mph and considering the hills and the lack of bike training I think I did pretty well. I really hammered on the downhills and the flats and that is what really helped out. Knowing the course and knowing where I could push it. My stomach wasnt too bad but I was thirsty throughout. My HR was a little high but nothing crazy. If I had trained I def could have gone faster. I thought that my split would be better bc of how I rode the flats but I guess the hills really threw me off. Theres always next year.

Get more time in the saddle.
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Shoes got stuck and inner sole shifted. I had to adjust that.

Move faster, but it was ok 98 O/A.
Run
  • 53m 14s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I have not done any bricks this year so the run was a little weird and took me a little bit to get into a nice pace. I did not see a mile marker until Mile 4 and that was a good thing bc I was moving faster than I thought. At the 4 mile marker I looked at my watch and I was at 33 mins and that was with a pee break. I started picking it up and at Mile 5 I was at 41 and change and then I started to cramp. My HR was good so I did not want to stop for fear that cramping would set in and that would be it for me. Took Gatorade at the aid station and it was like someone had put the sodium directly in my legs and I finished ok. I was upset that I had slowed so much by that point but what are you gonna do.

More liquid on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked it off. A volunteer brought me right to the massage tent bc my cramping set in right when I was done but they said it would be about a 1/2 hour to an hour. Walked, ate, and drank.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training. Over-tired and under-trained. I was 20 mins slower this year than I was last year.

Event comments:

This race slipped a little for me this year. When I first did this race it had a very local feel but since it has become a National Qualifier it has gotten too big and too cookie cutter. The price has gone up dramatically the past few years. Good race festivities but same as the past with a higher price tag.

Last updated: 2008-03-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:10 | 1640 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/48
Overall: 237/864
Performance: Below average
Checked my watch and my HR was around 168 for most of the swim.
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Rectangle with a hitch at the end.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:53
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:17:57 | 24.85 miles | 19.13 mile/hr
Overall: 254/864
Performance: Average
At the start of the bike I was thirsty for water. I only had one bottle of accelerade. I drank some and hoped it would help but I still wanted water. It eventually subsided and I felt a little better.
Wind: Some
Course: Same Westchester Course as its been for years.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:53:14 | 06.21 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Overall: 415/864
Performance: Average
170s-180s
Course: New Run course. 2 hills but a good course overall.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes