Dallas Athletes
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 20m
Overall Rank = 22/162
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am. Ate my usual pre-race breakfast - Ensure, cliff bar, OJ - 600 calories. Drank coffee on the drive to the race site.

This race was a practice race for Lonhorn. I planned to swim hard and comfortable. The bike was to be at HIM pace, keeping my HR in z2, even on the hills. The run was to be all out, just run fast and see what I have left after a HIM pace bike.
Event warmup:

Swam a few hundred meters then stood on the shore freezing while waiting for my wave.
Swim
  • 25m 38s
  • 1372 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

I give this swim a below average even though the pace is about average for me. The reason being, my HR was low. When I have my best swims my HR is usually 150-155. I think my mind wasn't focused on swimming fast. I felt comfortable on the swim; maybe too comfortable.

What would you do differently?:

Swim harder.
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Good transition. It was long run from the beach to the bikes. I was probably top 5 in my AG on T1 time (can't tell because the timing co screwed up some of the times). Getting on the bike and into my shoes went much better than at Disco where Aaron got all the pictures of me struggling with my shoes :).

Not much. Everything went smoothly.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 50s
  • 23 miles
  • 20.65 mile/hr
Comments:

The plan was to ride at HIM pace and keep my HR in z2. Maybe let it get to z3 on the uphills. Downhills were hammer time, again keeping my HR in z2 even on the downhills. I accomplished this. My HR avg 143 - mid z2. I think I could have ridden a little harder and probably will at Longhorn.

Nothing to exciting about this ride. Stayed aero the entire ride except for the turns. I passed lots of people and was passed my 2 guys and 2 gals.

Maybe ride a little harder and spend more time at the top of z2 to low z3. That's probably what I'll do at Longhorn.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Smoking fast T2. Hit the ground running. Threw my bike on the rack. Plopped my butt on the ground and put my shoes on. Grabbed hat, glasses, race belt and took off. Over the past year or two I've experimented with different ways of putting shoes on - standing up, kneeling down, stepping into them. Sitting on my butt works the best for me.

Nothing.
Run
  • 45m 17s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I was looking forward to this run. I really wanted to see what I could do after a relatively easy bike. Headed out, checked my pace at mile 1. 7:15. After that didn't worry about split times. Just ran hard on RPE.

After I got out onto the park road, I started seeing the fast guys coming in. Saw Ron Tribendis (2nd OA). I thought he was in the lead, but Brent Paulsen (a pro) was 5' ahead of him and I just didn't see him. Saw Aaron coming in(9th OA). He was running smooth. Saw Steve and Marcy out there also. It's really neat to race and know some of the people in the race.

I developed blisters on both little toes. I bought new shoes a couple weeks ago. Same brand and make, but Brooks changed them slightly this year. I don't wear socks in races and have never had a problem. I will definitely wear socks at Longhorn.

Overall a great run. This is a 10k PR for me.

Nothing.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was a training race. Should have ridden the bike a bit harder.

Event comments:

This is the first year I've done the DSU races. I really like the venue and the laid back style. There was a C&W band playing. Food was OK - watermellon and pizza.

But, they need a new timing company. The start was late because the timing company wasn't ready. Then the oly results took forever to be posted. Many of the split times are missing (I don't have a swim or T1 time).

Last updated: 2008-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:38 | 1372 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/15
Overall: 0/162
Performance: Below average
Avg HR: 142
Suit: None
Course: Triangular course in a lake.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:06:50 | 23 miles | 20.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/15
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 143
Wind: Some
Course: Loop course with an out and back section on open roads.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:45:17 | 06.21 miles | 07m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/15
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 157
Course: Out and back through the state park and out onto the highway.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-09-22 7:47 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: TexasMan Olympic

2008-09-22 9:39 PM
in reply to: #1689406

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: TexasMan Olympic
Great race out there--sounds like some solid prep for Longhorn!! See you there!!
2008-09-22 10:36 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Nice race.  We'll have to meet sometime.

I was disappointed with the chip malfunctions, too.  As for late/disorganized, I've come to expect those things from DA.  Goes with the laid-back style, I guess.

Good luch at Longhorn.  Maybe we'll see you there.

2008-09-23 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Great race Tommy, you keep getting faster!
2008-09-23 4:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Longview
Great race!  Your solid training definitely shows at your events.  You are going to do well at Longhorn!  I will see you there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TexasMan Olympic Rss Feed