Westchester Triathlon
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 52m 35s
Overall Rank = 356/855
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up, pitch black outside and freezing cold. Tried to keep moving while setting up transition and scoping out transitions etc. Was happy to get into my wet suit to keep me warm. On the beach the sand was freezing cold and my feet were icing up. Stepped into the water and my feet thawed.
Event warmup:

Swam a little to get water into my wet suit. Kept my feet in the water to keep warm.
Swim
  • 36m 53s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

I knew I could do the distance at my pace and was not worried about putting in a great performance. So I did the distance, and actually felt better than I had expected. I was in the light orange cap wave which happened to be the same color as the bouys. haha....fortunately I didn't get too tripped up.

The water was awesome and for a first time racing in salt water, I will call this a success. The wave wasn't all that big, strange how for my biggest race of the season, my swim wave is small. So that meant very little contact in the water, at least for me.

The sun was rising right in front of us on the way out so I sighted off of others and a boat to get me in the general direction. It worked until I made my first turn and the sun was no longer blinding me.

Sighting on the home stretch was easy, just look for the two big towers of Rye Playland and swim straight. The current messed with me slightly, but not too bad.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more!
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

This will be the last time that I put my shoes and socks on in transition. My shoes are cycling shoes with a ratchet clasp on it.....doesn't make things easy getting into or out of these shoes on the bike.

I used Thorlo socks and with these socks my wet and sandy feet went right into them no problem.

New shoes for next year!

New (and triathlon appropriate) shoes!
Bike
  • 1h 16m 7s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.59 mile/hr
Comments:

With 9 years of cycling experience, this is where I shine. Because I was in the last wave, I was passing people like crazy. I was never passed once during the bike (except for one guy, but we passed each other about 5-6 times).

On the way out of transition, my quads were iced. They just didn't want to loosen up. Finally by the time I hit the first major hill, they loosened up, and my climbing legs kicked in and I mototored up the hills. I felt awesome at the top of the first hill and hit a GU.

On the 2nd hill, same thing, got into my climbing rhythm and motored away. Unfortunately on the way down from the 2nd hill I got stuck behind some traffic that stopped. Doh! So much for booking 30 mph.

After this downhill, I knew from here it was party time back to transition. The rest of the bike course was mostly flat with some downhill. It felt good to get into a 20+mph speed and hold it.

Nothing, other than keep up what I am doing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Again, new shoes for next year will get me out of my shoes on the bike with a flying dismount (which I did learn to do, just not too safe getting out of these shoes on the bike).

My timing chip's strap was rubbing against my ankle so I had to pull my sock up between my skin and the strap.

More body glide around the timing chip strap.
Run
  • 55m 20s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I held a 9 min/mile pace! That was my goal and I did it! For my first year of running and triathlon, I'll take that!....especially after swimming .9 miles and biking a hilly 25 miles.

During the 2nd mile the course went from flat to a downhill. Phew!....I thought, a breather.....then oh wait...that means I have to go back UP. Doh!

That first hill around mile 3 hurt. But like climbing on the bike, I found my climbing pace and held it.

There was one more small hill to climb. After this 2nd hill I went into machine mode and held my pace.

Before the finish chute on grass, there is a long slight uphill stretch that doesn't seem uphill, but I sure felt it.

I was happy to finish!

Run more!
Post race
Warm down:

Immediately hit the pizza, water, and some strange orange gatorade stuff they were promoting.

Then I went to Walter's hotdogs in Mamaroneck.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim. BUT! I am taking a 10 week swim technique class this fall and masters in the winter to set me up for next season.

Last updated: 2008-09-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:53 | 1640 yards | 02m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/855
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Out and back odd polygon shape
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:53
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:16:07 | 24.85 miles | 19.59 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Rolling terrain with two ok sized hills. Fast 2nd half (mostly downhill or flat)
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:55:20 | 06.21 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Flat, with a few small hills and a false flat uphill finish.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-09-23 8:53 AM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Subject: Westchester Triathlon

2008-09-23 10:11 AM
in reply to: #1690207

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Westchester Triathlon

great job on the race, great bike time!! next year we need to get together in Norwalk for the open salt water swim practice!!! keep in touch!!

Rudy

2008-09-23 4:14 PM
in reply to: #1690207

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Subject: RE: Westchester Triathlon
Great job ! nicely done and a great time too ! .. new tri-bike shoes are always a nice touch ! ..

have a great off season- train hard and kill it for '09
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Westchester Triathlon Rss Feed