General Discussion Race Reports! » Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
Elite Racing
67F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 15m 17s
Overall Rank = 9261/13181
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 985/1545
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6am at the hotel and went to put on the clothes and gear I'd gotten ready the night before, when I realized there was no sports bra in the stack of clothes. Needing to make a quick decision, I decided to MacGyver it with my normal bra and some athletic tape. J helped wrap me up and we drove to a parking garage at 15th and Arch. I drank a propel Invigorating on the way. We walked to the start area and got in line for a porta potty, just in time because they weren't yet too long. We wandered around trying to get loose for a while longer, checked the bag at the UPS truck, and headed for our start corrals.
Event warmup:

No specific warmup, but walked about 0.75 miles from the car to the start area, and then some light stretching.
Run
  • 2h 15m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Things were a little slow the first mile or so while people found their pace. I did my best to settle into a 10min pace and appeared to be on through at least 5k. The Garmin had some issues with the tall buildings and was all over the place, so I had to do it the old fashioned way! During those first few miles I also had to mentally realize that my homemade sports bra was going to work fine and stop worrying. I was shooting for a 10:13 pace and stuck fairly close to it the whole time. I had a GU between 4 and 5 and another around 9, somewhere after the bridge. Other than that it was just water, because the cytomax tables were always even more crowded than the water (see rant below).

I had some issues at two of the water stops between approximately mile 4 and 7. Not to complain too much, but at my pace, water stops continue to be a problem. People mob the tables, many actually stopping to get their cup. Many others continue to walk near the tables after they get their drink, really making it difficult to get in and out. I know the solution is to carry my own, but I feel like I shouldn't have to when there is plenty provided. I have learned to wait until the last table because it's less crowded, but it doesn't always work and continues to be frustrating.

Despite this I had a great run, missing my PR (philly '07) by only 1:28. My HR was high the whole time, which really made me want to slow down or take a walk break, but I mentally and physically HTFU and kept going, only walking for a couple of seconds when I got boxed in at a water stop. I finished strong with all I had left and felt good that I'd run the best race I could. I really love the fall temperatures and the course and it continues to be one of my favorite races.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe carry a bottle or two of my own fluid so I can avoid even a couple of the water stops. I often eat something beforehand too, which I think I prefer, but didn't do this time.
Post race
Warm down:

I shuffled with the masses through the finish area getting some food, water, and cytomax. I met J at the pre-determined location near the UPS trucks for my post-race hug and kiss. :) We took a slow walk back to the car and drove back to the hotel where I learned we were late for checkout...oops. Daniel the hotel-guy was nice though and told us to go ahead and shower before we came down and checked out. We showered, I put back on the wet bra sans-tape, and we walked about 4 miles round-trip to get Philly Cheesesteaks. Yum.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Besides the water stops, not much. Mentally it took a little bit of time to get over the bra thing, but it turned out to not be an issue. I had some soreness in my hip/butt, but it wasn't too intense. Hopefully my new shoes help alleviate that problem.

Event comments:

This is a great race, with a fast, flat course and usually the beginning of cooler fall weather. I may be looking for a PR again next year here. They might want to consider actually holding between corrals to ease congestion, but I was happy overall.

Last updated: 2008-07-05 12:00 AM
Running
02:15:17 | 13.1 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 985/1545
Overall: 9261/13181
Performance: Good
10k - 1:03:30 (10:19 pace) 10 mi - 1:43:01 (10:20 pace) avg HR - 174 max HR - 191
Course: The course was fast, flat, and very shaded. The Garmin freaks out during the first 4 miles between the city buildings, but figures things out after that.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-23 10:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Subject: Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run

2008-09-23 11:46 AM
in reply to: #1690418

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run
You did great, sweetheart!  Cool
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run Rss Feed