General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner bike mechanic 101: raw materials + simple necessities Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2016-08-03 6:55 PM
in reply to: Six000MileYear

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Subject: RE: Beginner bike mechanic 101: raw materials + simple necessities
That fixed it!

2016-08-03 7:14 PM
in reply to: brian

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
I now have a new problem.

I got a flat several weeks ago. I ran my finger inside the tire to check for sharp objects before installing the new tube. A few days later I noticed my tire was completely flat. I thought I had forgotten to tighten the valve after deflating after a ride. I do that because leaving my bike in the car can be hot and 100 PSI can get much higher with heat, leading to the tube rupturing. I decided to inflate the tire. The air held so I went for my ride. 90 minutes later there was no problem. The next day the tire was dead flat. Not wanting to risk a flat on a ride, I replaced the leaky tire. I went for a ride without any problems. The next morning I found the tire completely deflated. This time I inspected the outside of the tire. In the bright sunlight, I saw something shiny in the tread, a wire. This time I replaced the tube AND tire. I put on a brand new Conti Gatorskin, a highly puncture resistant tire. I went for my ride and was sure I had nothing to worry about. The next day I suited up for my ride and when I saw my bike, I immediately knew why I had yet ANOTHER flat. The protective, stretchy, plastic rim strip kept shifting every time I mounted the tire, exposing the sharp aluminum edges of the spoke holes.

The rims are tubeless/clincher compatible. In order to make a good seal on tubeless tires the bed of the rim comes closer to the hook. It's difficult to mount clinchers, even with tire levers, and some don't seat correctly. This weekend I'll buy some cloth-backed rim tape that won't slide around.
2017-01-25 11:23 AM
in reply to: #1690926

Hello all. My name is Sandy and I am having a serious issue with my bike seat tilting front and back. The clamps that hold my seat to the post is stripped and I can't buy a new one. Is there any way to fix this without welding or sawing or cutting the groves. I don't have the tools for that...
2017-02-07 8:28 PM
in reply to: Sandy25002

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Please indicate the brand of seat post and seat. If you could post some pictures of the seat assembled to the post and then the clamp that is stripped, I'll have a better idea of the problem.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner bike mechanic 101: raw materials + simple necessities Rss Feed  

of 3