General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bicycle 101 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-18 5:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kennesaw, GA
Subject: Bicycle 101
My wife is training for her first tri. She has been running for a while but is just picking up swimming and biking. Santa brought her a bike for Christmas, and she has been out a few times on it and really enjoys riding; however she still feels quite unsure of herself in her bike handling skills. I've offered small helps and suggestions, but most of my advise it to tell her that she just needs to spend time in the saddle and the handling skills and confidence will come in time. However yesterday she mentioned that she wants a way to accelerate her learning curve and would like a list of things to do that would help her. A good example is she heard that the outer foot/pedal is supposed to be down when you make a sharp turn. Another example is to downshift once or twice on the cassette when you upshift on the chainring.  I just take this information for granted but I figure there is plenty of other little tips that would benefit her by just knowing them. Please help me in compiling a list that I can give her that may be of assistance.
Thanks

2005-02-18 5:11 PM
in reply to: #119609

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Bicycle 101
  • Ride Lots! (but you already told her that)
  • Keep your cadence up.
  • Vary your hand positions, especially on longer rides, to prevent numbness and possible nerve damage.
  • Learn how to shift gears (I'm always surprised at how many cyclist come to me and don't know the rudiments of shifting)
  • Learn how to change a tire and how to maintain your bike

I'll come up with some more...

Edited by the bear 2005-02-18 5:25 PM
2005-02-18 5:38 PM

User image

Expert
White House, TN
I found this link on Google: Road Racing Tips

It seems to have some of what you're looking for.
2005-02-18 5:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson, Arizona
The advice with having the outside pedal being down on a turn is good, but she should also have her inside leg tucked in towards the top tube. This is counterintuitive to what you see motorcycle riders do, where they have their legs almost touching the ground. It works great on keeping the bike from wanting to tip over. Hope that helps.
2005-02-18 5:59 PM
in reply to: #119615

User image

the bear - 2005-02-18 3:11 PM

Learn how to shift gears (I'm always surprised at how many cyclist come to me and don't know the rudiments of shifting)

Not to hijack the thread, but where can one read about the rudiments of shifting? I think I know what I am doing,,,,,, until someone tells me I am doing it wrong

2005-02-18 6:02 PM
in reply to: #119643

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Chris,

What I'm talking about is cyclists that don't even know what levers operate what derailleur. What specific questions do you have?

2005-02-18 6:11 PM
in reply to: #119645

User image

the bear - 2005-02-18 4:02 PM

Chris,

What I'm talking about is cyclists that don't even know what levers operate what derailleur. What specific questions do you have?

Oh, OK, that much I know.  My comment I guess was spurred by the statement "Another example is to downshift once or twice on the cassette when you upshift on the chainring".  Not sure what this means...... Was wondering if there was a general "technique" for shifting through the gears other than maintaining whatever gear is required by whatever cadence I am spinning at.

Remember, I got them old school downtub shifters.  Takes a little more mental and physical agility

2005-02-18 6:36 PM

Elite Veteran
I'd like to hear more about the shifting as well. Which do you do first, for example? Ring, then cog? Does it change if you are going up a hill vs going down a hill?

My lbs's advice is to just ride, but I feel like I work too hard going up hills.

This thread is very helpful.
2005-02-18 6:43 PM

User image

In March I am going to a clinic about bike maneuvering.  I'll pass on what I learn. 
2005-02-19 12:16 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

I'll defer to the bear here, but some of the basics:

• Chainring - think 'big gears by the pedals'
  • cassette - 'little gears by the back tire'

If you have 3 chanrings, you'll probably want to do most of your flat riding in the middle chainring.  When going downhill, you'll want to shift into the larger chainring (more for gaining speed - you have to keep pedaling too!)  Uphill, shift into the smaller chainring.

If you're in the largest chainring, and shift into the largest ring on the cassette, you risk breaking the chain.  This is to be avoided during any race.

As you approach a hill, you'll want to try to guage what you need to do to maintain your cadence (RPM of the pedals, or how fast you're pedalling) to get up the hill.  Shift into smaller gears (cassette) and try to maintain a decent RPM up the hill.  A lot of people prefer to pedal at 85-95 RPM (but go with what feels comfortable for you - I prefer the higher RPMs).  Don't wait until you're struggling before you shift; your RPMs shouldn't die out.  If you've used up all your gears (smallest chainring, largest gear on the cassette), you will probably 1) want to stand up on the pedals to maintain momentum, and 2) carb-load with your favorite malt-beverage and plan some hill work.

As you crest a hill, shift the cassette into a smaller gear, and prepare to shift into a larger chainring.  Again, you'll want to keep the RPMs continuous and bring it back up into your preferred range, so shift accordingly. 

Downhill - you can gain a huge advantage here.  I see lots of relatively inexperienced bikers coast downhill and use this as a rest break.  If you want to open up an advantage, get that large chainring going, and the smallest gear on the cassette, and you'll gain a lot of speed.

PRACTICE your shifting!  I commute to work when the weather cooperates, so I use my commuting time to work on shifting.  Get a feel for all of your gears. 

Once you're comfortable with your gears on flat stretches, start looking for those hills and practice shifting through them.  While taking a hill in a bigger gear will work the leg muscles during training, you won't want to do that during a race and blow up before the run.  But it's quite a feeling knowing that you took it 'easy' uphill, and still have plenty left over.

And once you're comfy with the hills, practice getting up on those pedals.  Passing someone going uphill during a race is a good way to 1) build a positive note and 2) demoralizing your competition.

And as we approach spring, and longer outdoor rides, practice changing tubes and tires, learn how to work a Presta valve, clean your bike and other minor details like that.  There may NOT be a lag-van at your next race.  Ride with friends when possible; at a minimum, let someone know your route (in case you end up walking the bike back); bring extra water, just in case; bring a tube, a small pump, a few basic tools (tire levers or what-not) and $0.75 (for phone calls, if needed).  WEAR A HELMET!  Don't presume that the car you see sees you.  Follow the rules of the road.  Watch out for sticks, glass, nails, and snakes.

Bear - what did I miss?

2005-02-19 9:39 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

She's off to a good start already.  Her best bet is rid often and far.  As far as when to change which gear, everyone has a difference of opinion o that matter so it would be best for her to learn by herself; it will come naturally with time.  I would suggest that she look into joining a local bike club in order to learn basic riding skill and group riding.  Other than that, she can log onto this site and ask any question she has.  Good luck to her ... :-

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bicycle 101 Rss Feed