Other Resources My Cup of Joe » McCain to suspend campaign and ask to delay debate Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-09-24 2:29 PM

User image

Subject: McCain to suspend campaign and ask to delay debate

Just saw this on MSNBC.  One benefit of being unemployed, besides 10 am rides and runs....  is seeing what goes on all day long. OK, not a benefit really.

Anyway, there is already a "debate" among the campaigns as to who asked for it first, Obama or McCain

Plan is to suspend the campaigning and return to DC to work on the economy.

2008-09-24 2:31 PM
in reply to: #1693787

User image

Master
Subject: RE: McCain to suspend campaign and ask to delay debate
mccain statement:
Tomorrow morning, I will suspend my campaign and return to Washington after speaking at the Clinton Global Initiative. I have spoken to Senator Obama and informed him of my decision and have asked him to join me.

I am calling on the President to convene a meeting with the leadership from both houses of Congress, including Senator Obama and myself. It is time for both parties to come together to solve this problem.

We must meet as Americans, not as Democrats or Republicans, and we must meet until this crisis is resolved. I am directing my campaign to work with the Obama campaign and the commission on presidential debates to delay Friday night's debate until we have taken action to address this crisis.

obama statement:
At 8:30 this morning, Senator Obama called Senator McCain to ask him if
he would join in issuing a joint statement outlining their shared
principles and conditions for the Treasury proposal and urging Congress
and the White House to act in a bipartisan manner to pass such a
proposal. At 2:30 this afternoon, Senator McCain returned Senator
Obama's call and agreed to join him in issuing such a statement. The
two campaigns are currently working together on the details.

2008-09-24 2:45 PM
in reply to: #1693799

Pro

jimbo - 2008-09-24 3:31 PM mccain statement:
Tomorrow morning, I will suspend my campaign and return to Washington after speaking at the Clinton Global Initiative. I have spoken to Senator Obama and informed him of my decision and have asked him to join me. I am calling on the President to convene a meeting with the leadership from both houses of Congress, including Senator Obama and myself. It is time for both parties to come together to solve this problem. We must meet as Americans, not as Democrats or Republicans, and we must meet until this crisis is resolved. I am directing my campaign to work with the Obama campaign and the commission on presidential debates to delay Friday night's debate until we have taken action to address this crisis.
obama statement:
At 8:30 this morning, Senator Obama called Senator McCain to ask him if he would join in issuing a joint statement outlining their shared principles and conditions for the Treasury proposal and urging Congress and the White House to act in a bipartisan manner to pass such a proposal. At 2:30 this afternoon, Senator McCain returned Senator Obama's call and agreed to join him in issuing such a statement. The two campaigns are currently working together on the details.

...stay tuned for a live feed of McCain and Obama making out.

2008-09-24 2:51 PM

User image

Mountain View, CA
ChrisM - 2008-09-24 12:29 PM

Just saw this on MSNBC.  One benefit of being unemployed, besides 10 am rides and runs....  is seeing what goes on all day long. OK, not a benefit really.

Anyway, there is already a "debate" among the campaigns as to who asked for it first, Obama or McCain

Plan is to suspend the campaigning and return to DC to work on the economy.

From what I've read, the "me first" debate is not about who was first to suggest suspension of the campaign(s), but who was first to call for joint action/statement on the economy. I haven't seen anything that indicates Obama wants to suspend his campaign, only that McCain made the overture to Obama.
2008-09-24 2:56 PM

User image

Master
Biden's statement:

Look, do you think Lincoln and Douglas canceled their debates during the economic crisis of 1816-1819? No, by golly, they got on the radio and duked it out. I mean, think about it. Stephen Douglas. There's only three things he mentions in a sentence. A noun, a verb, and the Kansas-Nebraska Act.

Palin's statement:

*crickets*
2008-09-24 3:02 PM
in reply to: #1693889

User image

jimbo - 2008-09-24 12:56 PM Biden's statement:

Look, do you think Lincoln and Douglas canceled their debates during the economic crisis of 1816-1819? No, by golly, they got on the radio and duked it out. I mean, think about it. Stephen Douglas. There's only three things he mentions in a sentence. A noun, a verb, and the Kansas-Nebraska Act.
Palin's statement:

*crickets*

This is why we love you

As for what the candidates are claiming about what they claimed and who claimed it before the other guy claimed it preventing the second guy from claiming that he actually claimed it first, when in reality the first one claimed it first and the second guy claimed it second, but the second guy said I claimed something different and the first guy said well my claim was better and the second guy says you're a poopy head... I have one word

Whatever

2008-09-24 3:15 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

Not dismissing McCain's genuine interest in fixing the economy, but I can't help to think this is a very Rovian political move. 

--McCain is falling further behind in the polls
--There is speculation of major in-fighting in his campaign
--The debate could help him but most people won't pay attention
--There is an ever increase focus in polls on America's putting the economy as a priority
--McCain lags FAR behind on economic polling

By suspending his campaign, he demonstrates leadership.  And the type of leadership that the American public likens to.  But more importantly, he paints Obama into a corner

Obama's options--

1.  Don't suspend and he wants to continue on with the debate and he seems to put politics above the people

2.  Don't suspend but lets McCain out of the debate and he doesn't get to address foreign policy (his said weakness)

3.  Suspend the campaign and return to DC.  He is following McCain's lead and might look weak on domestic issues (his strength)

IMO, he shouldn't suspend his campaign but issue a statement that he will be a part of any meetings.  But in the meantime, he says he wants to be with the people that are impacted the most by the 'failed economic policies' of the current administration.  

(Personally, I don't think they will resolve anything by all meeting in DC.)  

2008-09-24 3:16 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

^^^^^^^^  POST OF THE DAY!  (greatness, Chris)

**ETA** $1.79 posted first, but my p.o.t.d. comment was meant for ChrisM's "whatever" post. 

Edited by OldAg92 2008-09-24 3:17 PM
2008-09-24 3:17 PM

User image

Giver
What happens if the economic crisis lasts for more than 41 days?
2008-09-24 3:20 PM

User image

Runner
Chris, I believe the answer to all this is in your sig block.
2008-09-24 3:24 PM
in reply to: #1693944

User image

Mountain View, CA
ADollar79 - 2008-09-24 1:15 PM

Not dismissing McCain's genuine interest in fixing the economy, but I can't help to think this is a very Rovian political move. 

--McCain is falling further behind in the polls
--There is speculation of major in-fighting in his campaign
--The debate could help him but most people won't pay attention
--There is an ever increase focus in polls on America's putting the economy as a priority
--McCain lags FAR behind on economic polling

By suspending his campaign, he demonstrates leadership.  And the type of leadership that the American public likens to.  But more importantly, he paints Obama into a corner

Obama's options--

1.  Don't suspend and he wants to continue on with the debate and he seems to put politics above the people

2.  Don't suspend but lets McCain out of the debate and he doesn't get to address foreign policy (his said weakness)

3.  Suspend the campaign and return to DC.  He is following McCain's lead and might look weak on domestic issues (his strength)

IMO, he shouldn't suspend his campaign but issue a statement that he will be a part of any meetings.  But in the meantime, he says he wants to be with the people that are impacted the most by the 'failed economic policies' of the current administration.  

(Personally, I don't think they will resolve anything by all meeting in DC.)

I think there's a fourth option for Obama, which is to propose that they change the topic of Friday's debate to the economy.

ETA: Not saying that McCain will take him up on it, or even that it's an ideal option, just saying it's an option.

Edited by puellasolis 2008-09-24 3:24 PM

2008-09-24 3:36 PM
in reply to: #1693955

User image

Scout7 - 2008-09-24 1:20 PM Chris, I believe the answer to all this is in your sig block.

What.... is McCain working on hill repeats????

Oh, wait a minute, you mean you are referring to your quote in my sig line... How vain.....

2008-09-24 3:39 PM
in reply to: #1693999

User image

Runner
ChrisM - 2008-09-24 4:36 PM

Scout7 - 2008-09-24 1:20 PM Chris, I believe the answer to all this is in your sig block.

Oh, wait a minute, you mean you are referring to your quote in my sig line... How vain.....

Good reason to suspend a campaign in my book.  "Working on a marathon PR, gotta get in some hill repeats."

Then Obama says that he has been training more intelligently, and has a much better plan for completing said marathon.

Then the two of them get into some sort of sissy-girl slapfight, and I sit here and laugh at the commentary about who hits more or less like a girl.

Edited by Scout7 2008-09-24 3:42 PM
2008-09-24 3:41 PM
in reply to: #1693999

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
ChrisM - 2008-09-24 1:36 PM

Whew, I thought for a second that he was telling America to HTFU

2008-09-24 3:42 PM
in reply to: #1693967

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

puellasolis - 2008-09-24 4:24 PM  I think there's a fourth option for Obama, which is to propose that they change the topic of Friday's debate to the economy. ETA: Not saying that McCain will take him up on it, or even that it's an ideal option, just saying it's an option.

the irony there is that the debate WAS on domestic issues (probably the economy) but both campaigns switched it to foreign policy.  it could be switched but debate prep would be difficult given the short timeline

Edited by ADollar79 2008-09-24 3:43 PM
2008-09-24 3:42 PM
in reply to: #1694008

User image

Runner
WaterDog66 - 2008-09-24 4:41 PM
ChrisM - 2008-09-24 1:36 PM

Whew, I thought for a second that he was telling America to HTFU

That, too.

2008-09-24 3:43 PM
in reply to: #1694006

User image

Scout7 - 2008-09-24 1:39 PM

Good reason to suspend a campaign in my book.  "Working on a marathon PR, gotta get in some hill repeats."

Then Obama says that he has been training more intelligently, and has a much better plan for completing said marathon.

Then the two of them get into some sort of sissy-girl slapfight, and I sit here and laugh at the commentary about who hits more or less like a girl.

Don't forget the website.  I could use the hits

2008-09-24 3:44 PM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI
I don't know if Obama will actually suspened his campaign as it suggests he might actually have to vote on something.  Cool
2008-09-24 3:45 PM
in reply to: #1694017

User image

Runner
ChrisM - 2008-09-24 4:43 PM
Scout7 - 2008-09-24 1:39 PM

Don't forget the website.  I could use the hits

pfffttt...  What does seaweed and fish have to do with our melting economy and presidential debates?  Goober.

2008-09-24 3:53 PM
in reply to: #1694028

User image

pfffttt...  What does seaweed and fish have to do with our melting economy and presidential debates?  Goober.

Someone clearly hasn't been paying attention, to wit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU7MSaN6zUU

(And, FTR, he has a valid point, even some enviros out here in California want the oil rig sub surface structures to remain in place as they are a thriving habitat)

2008-09-24 4:36 PM
in reply to: #1694027

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

wildee - 2008-09-24 3:44 PM I don't know if Obama will actually suspened his campaign as it suggests he might actually have to vote on something.  Cool

You keep harping on this, but have you checked who has missed the most votes in the current session of Congress ( missing 65% of votes cast so far ). 

2008-09-24 4:44 PM

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

Think about the obvious people... THE OBVIOUS!

McCain is limited to Federal matching funds.  Obama has probably 20 times more money.  Of course McCain would want to "suspend" BOTH campaigns for any amount of time.  It allows him to spend what little he has in a shorter period of time and get more bang for the buck.

Here's why it's a mistake:

1. NOW is the time to look Presidential and tell the country how you plan to fix the problem.  The campaigns should be stepping it UP a notch.

2. At this point, two Senators aren't going to make all the difference in the world.  Honestly, what can McCain and Obama do other than throw in their 2 cents on the floor?  They can briefly come back in to vote.  Besides, by the time the plan is agreed upon and the billions begin to flow, it may be past election day.

3. The LAST thing McCain wants is to be seen and have his picture taken with "Bankrupting Bush" in the oval office.  He's trying to distance himself from Dubya!

4. And the Hill is no better place to be.  Approval ratings for Congress are even LOWER than the President's!  A smart politician would be avoid Washington like the plague right now.

5. It plays right into Obama's attack message, "McCain was and is part of the Bush-Republicans who got us into this mess.  You can't ask the people who created the problem to try and fix it!"  If McCain goes back to those same people in Washington - it basically proves Obama right.  McCain is better off avoiding Washington and saying, "here's how I plan to fix the problem and the people I would work with are fresh, new and different.  I'm not going to deal with the idiots who got us here in the first place."

6. That $700 billion will have so much riders attached to it and so little oversight, that when it is given back to Paulsen and Bernanke, it'll be over $1 trillion and the American people will be even more disgusted.  You DO NOT want to be associated as one of the authors of this ugly heap of turd.  This is ugly legislation to get us out of a horrible situation.  No immediate good can come of it.  It will be nearly a decade before anything positive, if anything positive CAN come out of it!  While it's probably necessary, it's an ugly, bloody, messy, fetid piece of work that the American people will speak of through gritted teeth.  If you're running for office... avoid associating publicly with such toxic stuff.

7. McCain will come across as a coward for wanting to avoid a debate with Obama.  He's not quick on his feet and witty in his open speaking so of course he would want to avoid his weaknesses (debates).  But if Obama calls him out and insists that it go on and McCain says no - it just comes across as cowardly.

2008-09-24 4:49 PM

User image

Expert
This is probably best for both sides, given neither really has a solution to this crisis, but I can't help but think this is EXACTLY the moment we should have potential leaders debating. Hell, let's hear their non-scripted views/ideas... let's see how they react when they aren't perfectly prepared.

That said, wouldn't you think if Sen. McCain really wanted to make this a non-political issue he could have made the offer in private to Sen. Obama? Instead, he immediately went to the news sources proclaiming to the world how he's gonna get back to Washington to help solve the crisis. Is multi-tasking now off the table for our Presidential candidates? Sorry, but if it smells like a pig with lipstick....
2008-09-24 4:50 PM
in reply to: #1694198

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Bigfuzzydoug - 2008-09-24 2:44 PM

Think about the obvious people... THE OBVIOUS!

McCain is limited to Federal matching funds.  Obama has probably 20 times more money.  Of course McCain would want to "suspend" BOTH campaigns for any amount of time.  It allows him to spend what little he has in a shorter period of time and get more bang for the buck.

Here's why it's a mistake:

1. NOW is the time to look Presidential and tell the country how you plan to fix the problem.  The campaigns should be stepping it UP a notch.

2. At this point, two Senators aren't going to make all the difference in the world.  Honestly, what can McCain and Obama do other than throw in their 2 cents on the floor?  They can briefly come back in to vote.  Besides, by the time the plan is agreed upon and the billions begin to flow, it may be past election day.

3. The LAST thing McCain wants is to be seen and have his picture taken with "Bankrupting Bush" in the oval office.  He's trying to distance himself from Dubya!

4. And the Hill is no better place to be.  Approval ratings for Congress are even LOWER than the President's!  A smart politician would be avoid Washington like the plague right now.

5. It plays right into Obama's attack message, "McCain was and is part of the Bush-Republicans who got us into this mess.  You can't ask the people who created the problem to try and fix it!"  If McCain goes back to those same people in Washington - it basically proves Obama right.  McCain is better off avoiding Washington and saying, "here's how I plan to fix the problem and the people I would work with are fresh, new and different.  I'm not going to deal with the idiots who got us here in the first place."

6. That $700 billion will have so much riders attached to it and so little oversight, that when it is given back to Paulsen and Bernanke, it'll be over $1 trillion and the American people will be even more disgusted.  You DO NOT want to be associated as one of the authors of this ugly heap of turd.  This is ugly legislation to get us out of a horrible situation.  No immediate good can come of it.  It will be nearly a decade before anything positive, if anything positive CAN come out of it!  While it's probably necessary, it's an ugly, bloody, messy, fetid piece of work that the American people will speak of through gritted teeth.  If you're running for office... avoid associating publicly with such toxic stuff.

7. McCain will come across as a coward for wanting to avoid a debate with Obama.  He's not quick on his feet and witty in his open speaking so of course he would want to avoid his weaknesses (debates).  But if Obama calls him out and insists that it go on and McCain says no - it just comes across as cowardly.

That's an interesting take on his recent action.

Do you think he will be going back to Washington to rally the troops and bring the strays (Republicans) back into the fold?

Or do you think he will play the "maverick" card and join the dessenters in voicing skepticism/outrage at the prospect of a Republican Congress and President being party to the "Socialization of America". (Paraphrasing some of the recent testimony)

2008-09-24 4:54 PM
in reply to: #1694186

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by AcesFull 2008-09-24 4:55 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » McCain to suspend campaign and ask to delay debate Rss Feed  

of 3