Other Resources My Cup of Joe » McCain to suspend campaign and ask to delay debate Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-09-24 5:12 PM
in reply to: #1694220

User image

Mountain View, CA
Subject: RE: McCain to suspend campaign and ask to delay debate
LJR - 2008-09-24 2:49 PM

This is probably best for both sides, given neither really has a solution to this crisis, but I can't help but think this is EXACTLY the moment we should have potential leaders debating. Hell, let's hear their non-scripted views/ideas... let's see how they react when they aren't perfectly prepared.

That said, wouldn't you think if Sen. McCain really wanted to make this a non-political issue he could have made the offer in private to Sen. Obama? Instead, he immediately went to the news sources proclaiming to the world how he's gonna get back to Washington to help solve the crisis. Is multi-tasking now off the table for our Presidential candidates? Sorry, but if it smells like a pig with lipstick....

According to both campaigns' statements, McCain did make the offer in private at first. Obama declined, so he went public with it.

Edit because I shouldn't imply a causal relationship in that last sentence. Should read "Obama declined, and then McCain went public."

Edited by puellasolis 2008-09-24 5:13 PM

2008-09-24 5:38 PM
in reply to: #1694283

User image

Expert
puellasolis - 2008-09-24 3:12 PM

According to both campaigns' statements, McCain did make the offer in private at first. Obama declined, so he went public with it.

Edit because I shouldn't imply a causal relationship in that last sentence. Should read "Obama declined, and then McCain went public."

I didn't hear/read that it went down that way. This is what I read:

Obama said he and McCain discussed the economy in two telephone calls earlier Wednesday. Obama said it was he who proposed issuing a joint statement on the bailout plan.

He indicated that McCain’s statement seeking to delay the debate came as a surprise, saying McCain had told him in their second call only that he was thinking about the idea.

“I guess he was further along than I thought,” Obama said.

No matter, though. This was completely motivated by politics, not some Senatorial Super Heroic ideal to save the day. You can quote me on that.
2008-09-24 5:45 PM
in reply to: #1693787

User image

Giver

Just heard that McCain is proposing a congressional leadership meeting, including himself and Obama, to hash through the bailout legislation.

Anyone think two guys running for president trying to constantly one-up each other would be *good* for the process? My gut says leaving those two out of the process would get things accomplished faster.

2008-09-24 6:55 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Unbelievable. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

To continue campaigning in spite of real, actual issues that require real, actual leaders or suspend campaigning to perform a role in a solution that is WAY beyond two people...hmmm, such decisions.

The fact that we can politicize EVERY decisions these guys make is amazing. It's no wonder we haven't (nor likely ever will) get to the issues.

Heaven forbid these two guys actually do the job they were elected to do. Now, if I could only get my company to pay me for six years but basically only expect me to do my actual job for four!

Do we really, really think we'll learn anything new about these candidates in the debates, other than who can one-up each other starting with "I promise to..." or "my administration will..." and ending with "spend more of your money" (ok, chances are that last statement will be gracefully masked with something like "create a gov't agency to..." or "create a program involving...")

See what happens when I do not have access to coffee in the afternoon...grr...

2008-09-24 7:08 PM
in reply to: #1694320

User image

Mountain View, CA
LJR - 2008-09-24 3:38 PM

puellasolis - 2008-09-24 3:12 PM

I didn't hear/read that it went down that way. This is what I read:

Obama said he and McCain discussed the economy in two telephone calls earlier Wednesday. Obama said it was he who proposed issuing a joint statement on the bailout plan.

He indicated that McCain’s statement seeking to delay the debate came as a surprise, saying McCain had told him in their second call only that he was thinking about the idea.

“I guess he was further along than I thought,” Obama said.

No matter, though. This was completely motivated by politics, not some Senatorial Super Heroic ideal to save the day. You can quote me on that.

From a presser that Obama gave today, in which he talked about the phone call that he had with McCain this afternoon:

"I proposed putting out the joint statement. He concurred with that. he then also said, 'I would like us to look at suspending the campaign and pushing the debates off.' I said, 'let's put out the joint statement first, and then get our campaigns to discuss this.' [...] I thought that this was something that he was mulling over. Apparently this was something that he was more decisive about in his own mind."

Obama said that he later saw McCain announce his suspension on tv. The bit that you quoted is still consistent with this (and with what I wrote earlier), I just wanted to clarify.
2008-09-24 7:11 PM

User image

see what I mean???

2008-09-24 7:33 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas

McCain I'm putting my campaign on hold to go to work and address this crisis.

Obama I called him first.

I once said Clinton would be President if the Republicans ran a Dud man o man the Democrats have run a dud Clinton must be LHAO and counting the days to 2012 forget Obama dropping Biden the Dems need to find a way to drop both of them and get Clinton in the #1 spot.

2008-09-24 7:36 PM
in reply to: #1694509

User image

Master
CBarnes - 2008-09-24 8:33 PM

I once said Clinton would be President if the Republicans ran a Dud man o man the Democrats have run a dud Clinton must be LHAO and counting the days to 2012 forget Obama dropping Biden the Dems need to find a way to drop both of them and get Clinton in the #1 spot.

dude. here's a $20. go by some punctuation marks.
2008-09-24 7:50 PM
in reply to: #1694511

User image

Mountain View, CA
jimbo - 2008-09-24 5:36 PM

Here's a $5 for the "u" you left out in "buy."
2008-09-24 7:52 PM
in reply to: #1694528

User image

Master
puellasolis - 2008-09-24 8:50 PM

awww f&$%.
2008-09-24 8:14 PM
in reply to: #1694529

User image

Elite
Boise
jimbo - 2008-09-24 7:52 PM
puellasolis - 2008-09-24 8:50 PM

awww f&$%.

You forgot another U and a C and a K there too.

2008-09-24 8:33 PM
in reply to: #1694509

User image

Expert
CBarnes - 2008-09-24 5:33 PM

McCain has admitted he knows virtually nothing when it comes to economic issues, but now he's going back to Washington to help save the day? Please... we're all grownups here.
2008-09-24 8:36 PM
in reply to: #1694484

User image

Expert
puellasolis - 2008-09-24 5:08 PM

Obama said that he later saw McCain announce his suspension on tv. The bit that you quoted is still consistent with this (and with what I wrote earlier), I just wanted to clarify.

Thanks.
2008-09-24 9:10 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-09-24 10:07 PM
in reply to: #1694222

Master
Lake Norman, NC
WaterDog66 - 2008-09-24 5:50 PM

That's an interesting take on his recent action.

Do you think he will be going back to Washington to rally the troops and bring the strays (Republicans) back into the fold?

Or do you think he will play the "maverick" card and join the dessenters in voicing skepticism/outrage at the prospect of a Republican Congress and President being party to the "Socialization of America". (Paraphrasing some of the recent testimony)

That's tough to answer because the traditional "rules" have all gone out the window!  Bush spends MORE than the Democrats and this Administration is the worst ever at deficit spending.  Some middle Democrats in Congress are voicing skepticism/outrage, but they will not only support it, but will also try to add on additional spending for other issues.  This Democrat Congress can spend money almost as bad.  The ultra-Conservative Republicans hate Bush for spending and hate McCain for not staying with the traditional party line.  It seems like only the FAR left and the FAR right are talking fiscal Conservatism.  Everyone in the middle spends like crazy and Bush is, well... Bush has been in a league all his own.

I think the "traditional" stereotype of a Democrat and a Republican are completely gone when it comes to spending matters.  Who knows what McCain will do?  Who knows if his vying for Conservative Democrat and moderate Republican support or he's aiming for the farther right traditional base?  All bets are off.

... I just think it's a bad political move in a campaign.

2008-09-24 10:19 PM
in reply to: #1694458

Master
Lake Norman, NC

cooutdoors - 2008-09-24 7:55 PM

Heaven forbid these two guys actually do the job they were elected to do.

In less than 7 weeks, one of these two men will be elected to become the next President of the United States - the most powerful man in the world.  At this juncture, the job they were elected to do takes a very distant second to the task at hand of educating the population how they would handle this crisis AS PRESIDENT and giving the people confidence that they are in fact, the best of the two (viable) available candidates to do so.

Consider them lame-duck Senators.  They can vote but from a political standpoint, they and their parties are much more concerned with the next Executive Administration.  I'm sure their party leadership are saying, "forget the Senate.  If you want to help, get your butt out there and win this damn election.  You have less than two months so get moving!"

This move by McCain's HAS to be campaign-motivated and was thought out by his campaign staff.  A move I happen to disagree with.

2008-09-24 11:19 PM
in reply to: #1694629

Master
White Oak, Texas
LJR - 2008-09-24 8:33 PM

McCain has admitted he knows virtually nothing when it comes to economic issues, but now he's going back to Washington to help save the day? Please... we're all grownups here.
Is that what you think he said?  Do you know anything about what this guy has done in the senate?  Really man that is not what he said go look it up.  disclaimer I am not a big fan of McCain but darn it man try to get things right before you say he said he knows virtually nothing about economic issues...
2008-09-24 11:35 PM

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Who knows what's real, but the radio news said Obama suggested it to McCain who spun it to make it sound like he (McCain) came up with the plan to take care of country first.
2008-09-24 11:37 PM
in reply to: #1694978

Elite
Boise
CBarnes - 2008-09-24 11:19 PM

Is that what you think he said?  Do you know anything about what this guy has done in the senate?  Really man that is not what he said go look it up.  disclaimer I am not a big fan of McCain but darn it man try to get things right before you say he said he knows virtually nothing about economic issues...

Here's some direct quotes from Mccain

In December he said, "The issue of economics is not something I've understood as well as I should," as the Globe reported on its "Political Intelligence" blog at the time.

and when asked about qualities he'd want in a VP

After mentioning the ability of a potential running mate to replace the president, McCain said, "You also look for people who maybe have talents you don't, or experience or knowledge you don't, as well."

"What are those qualities that you don't - that you wouldn't mind complementing?" asked David Brooks, a columnist for The New York Times.

McCain paused. "Uh, maybe I shouldn't say this, but, somebody who's really well grounded in economics," he said.

That's what I found in a 5 second google search.

2008-09-24 11:37 PM

Pro
St Charles, IL
CBarnes - 2008-09-24 11:19 PM

Here's some direct quotes:

Nov. 26, 2005: "I'm going to be honest: I know a lot less about economics than I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated."

Dec. 18, 2007: "The issue of economics is something that I've really never understood as well as I should. I understand the basics, the fundamentals, the vision, all that kind of stuff."

2008-09-24 11:39 PM

Expert
CBarnes - 2008-09-24 9:19 PM
Is that what you think he said? Do you know anything about what this guy has done in the senate? Really man that is not what he said go look it up. disclaimer I am not a big fan of McCain but darn it man try to get things right before you say he said he knows virtually nothing about economic issues...

Okay, he said it's his weak spot....

In December he said, "The issue of economics is not something I've understood as well as I should," as the Globe reported on its "Political Intelligence" blog at the time.

On at least one occasion, McCain has raised the matter himself. On Nov. 10, while traveling through New Hampshire on his Straight Talk Express bus, McCain was asked what he would seek in a vice presidential candidate if nominated.

After mentioning the ability of a potential running mate to replace the president, McCain said, "You also look for people who maybe have talents you don't, or experience or knowledge you don't, as well."

"What are those qualities that you don't - that you wouldn't mind complementing?" asked David Brooks, a columnist for The New York Times.

McCain paused. "Uh, maybe I shouldn't say this, but, somebody who's really well grounded in economics," he said.

"I think I understand the fundamentals, I talk to people all the time on economics - it's obviously a vital part of America's future," McCain continued. "But I know there are some people who have literally immersed themselves on issues of economics, how Congress works on it, the tax code, that sort of thing. I would look for that kind of talent not in a vice president but in close advisers."

"They are complicated," McCain said of economic issues, "and I freely admit I am not an economist."

2008-09-25 12:45 AM

McCain isn't an economic expert... He admits it..
What the heck can he do in DC?

The debate should continue.
Obama should show up to the event, anyway.
If McCain is a no-show, then Obama should take questions and talk to the public.

2008-09-25 4:21 AM
in reply to: #1695038

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
onefitgeek - 2008-09-25 1:45 AM

McCain isn't an economic expert... He admits it..
What the heck can he do in DC?

The debate should continue.
Obama should show up to the event, anyway.
If McCain is a no-show, then Obama should take questions and talk to the public.

x1000. Obama should totally take advantage of the already-set-up venue for a Q&A, specifically talking to all the Repubs in the house.

Guess what? Bet McCain would show up after all.
2008-09-25 5:36 AM

Master
White Oak, Texas

McCain should and will do just what a leader is supposed to do understand and admit what he is weak at, listen to the experts, weight the evidence, make a decision and guess what? That is what he is doing.  I am starting to wonder what so many of us want as a president?  Do ya want a guy that acts like he has all the answers to all the questions?  How about a guy that cannot or will not or does not understand he is wrong?  While I like Bush overall that is what and who he is, the more I learn about Obama, the more I think he is the same.  McCain admits he has a weak area economics so some of you here claim he knows virtually nothing about economics how about a little intellectual honesty? Oh and to all of you who feel the need to offer me money so I can buy punctuation marks and fix spelling errors I’ll send ya my e-mail address I take PayPal and the more financial help I can get from the perfect people on this web site the better off I will be.

2008-09-25 7:32 AM
in reply to: #1695087

Master
Lake Norman, NC

Slugger - 2008-09-25 5:21 AM
onefitgeek - 2008-09-25 1:45 AM McCain isn't an economic expert... He admits it.. What the heck can he do in DC? The debate should continue. Obama should show up to the event, anyway. If McCain is a no-show, then Obama should take questions and talk to the public.
x1000. Obama should totally take advantage of the already-set-up venue for a Q&A, specifically talking to all the Repubs in the house. Guess what? Bet McCain would show up after all.

If McCain doesn't show and it becomes a Q&A for Obama alone - it will be the nail in the coffin of the McCain Presidential campaign.  No way he could recover from the image of blowing off a debate.

It won't happen.  McCain will show up.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » McCain to suspend campaign and ask to delay debate Rss Feed  

of 3