Other Resources My Cup of Joe » McCain to suspend campaign and ask to delay debate Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-09-25 7:36 AM
in reply to: #1695094

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC
Subject: RE: McCain to suspend campaign and ask to delay debate
CBarnes - 2008-09-25 6:36 AM

McCain should and will do just what a leader is supposed to do understand and admit what he is weak at, listen to the experts, weight the evidence, make a decision and guess what? That is what he is doing.  I am starting to wonder what so many of us want as a president?  Do ya want a guy that acts like he has all the answers to all the questions?  How about a guy that cannot or will not or does not understand he is wrong?  While I like Bush overall that is what and who he is, the more I learn about Obama, the more I think he is the same.  McCain admits he has a weak area economics so some of you here claim he knows virtually nothing about economics how about a little intellectual honesty? Oh and to all of you who feel the need to offer me money so I can buy punctuation marks and fix spelling errors I’ll send ya my e-mail address I take PayPal and the more financial help I can get from the perfect people on this web site the better off I will be.

I do not support ANYTHING George W. Bush.  I will not vote for John McCain.  But I will agree with you that if anyone expects a President to be an "expert" on national security, economics, law, the environment, the military, social issues, etc.  i.e. EVERYTHING - they're fooling themselves.  That's why they bring on people like Bernanke and Paulson.  You may or may not agree with their choices, but everyone agrees that they are qualified for those jobs.

I don't expect McCain OR Obama to fully understand the current economic situation.  There are thousands of financial experts around the country who don't fully understand the ultra-complexities of these mortgage-backed securities!

2008-09-25 7:48 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
CBarnes - 2008-09-25 5:36 AM

McCain should and will do just what a leader is supposed to do understand and admit what he is weak at, listen to the experts, weight the evidence, make a decision and guess what? That is what he is doing.  I am starting to wonder what so many of us want as a president?  Do ya want a guy that acts like he has all the answers to all the questions?  How about a guy that cannot or will not or does not understand he is wrong?  While I like Bush overall that is what and who he is, the more I learn about Obama, the more I think he is the same.  McCain admits he has a weak area economics so some of you here claim he knows virtually nothing about economics how about a little intellectual honesty? Oh and to all of you who feel the need to offer me money so I can buy punctuation marks and fix spelling errors I’ll send ya my e-mail address I take PayPal and the more financial help I can get from the perfect people on this web site the better off I will be.

I'm not saying that Mccain has to be an expert on everything. I was merely replying to your statement in your previous post that said

Is that what you think he said?

This was in reference to him not admitting he doesn't know much about the economy.

2008-09-25 8:28 AM
in reply to: #1694229

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI
AcesFull - 2008-09-24 4:54 PM
coredump - 2008-09-24 4:36 PM

wildee - 2008-09-24 3:44 PM I don't know if Obama will actually suspened his campaign as it suggests he might actually have to vote on something.  Cool

You keep harping on this, but have you checked who has missed the most votes in the current session of Congress ( missing 65% of votes cast so far ). 

With apologies for interrupting this thread for a fact check. 

109th Congress Missed Votes (prior to campaigns starting):

Barack Obama: Missed 1.7% of votes (11 missed votes)

John McCain: Missed 9% of votes (58 missed votes)

In the second and thrid quarters of 2008, Barack Obama has voted 18 times, or less than 16% of the time.  During the same time period, John McCain has voted exactly once, or less than 1% of the time.

You guys make it way too easy.

2008-09-25 8:37 AM
in reply to: #1693787

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

Uhm, I did say "this session", for which 65% which is accurate ( rounding from 64.1% ).

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/110/senate/vote-missers/

MISSED VOTES BY MEMBER

2008-09-25 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
CBarnes - 2008-09-25 3:36 AM

McCain should and will do just what a leader is supposed to do understand and admit what he is weak at, listen to the experts, weight the evidence, make a decision and guess what? That is what he is doing. I am starting to wonder what so many of us want as a president? Do ya want a guy that acts like he has all the answers to all the questions? How about a guy that cannot or will not or does not understand he is wrong? While I like Bush overall that is what and who he is, the more I learn about Obama, the more I think he is the same. McCain admits he has a weak area economics so some of you here claim he knows virtually nothing about economics how about a little intellectual honesty? Oh and to all of you who feel the need to offer me money so I can buy punctuation marks and fix spelling errors I’ll send ya my e-mail address I take PayPal and the more financial help I can get from the perfect people on this web site the better off I will be.

Who said McCain should know everything about everything? You implied that he did know economics and I responded with his own words on the matter.

The issue that I brought up, and you replied to, was that there is no need for him to cancel the debate and run back to Washington to save the day. You seem to be changing your argument which makes it difficult to have a coherent discussion. You even go so far as to bring in Obama, who is willing to do BOTH, go back to Washington AND have the debates.

If we're looking for intellectual honesty, how about we start with ourselves?

Edited by LJR 2008-09-25 9:31 AM
2008-09-25 9:50 AM

User image

Alpharetta, GA

I know I'm Johnny come lately to this thread, but suspending the campaign over the economy?  Hello?

Okay, I can see suspending appearances to go to DC and work.  Sure.  But, suspending ads and the debate?  How does political advertising affect the ability to hash out this bailout?  The debate is at night, I don't see why that would need to be suspended.

It makes no sense, except that 1. McCain is running out of $$ for ads and wants to stop ads on both sides as a stall tactic and, 2. He is unprepared to debate.  And I am more republican than democrat, and this just makes McCain look REALLY bad.  Stupid stupid stupid.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... or, more appropriately, you can put lipstick on a pig...

Andi

2008-09-25 10:28 AM
in reply to: #1695556

Veteran
Randolph, MA
Anditrigirl - 2008-09-25 10:50 AM

I know I'm Johnny come lately to this thread, but suspending the campaign over the economy?  Hello?

Okay, I can see suspending appearances to go to DC and work.  Sure.  But, suspending ads and the debate?  How does political advertising affect the ability to hash out this bailout?  The debate is at night, I don't see why that would need to be suspended.

It makes no sense, except that 1. McCain is running out of $$ for ads and wants to stop ads on both sides as a stall tactic and, 2. He is unprepared to debate.  And I am more republican than democrat, and this just makes McCain look REALLY bad.  Stupid stupid stupid.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... or, more appropriately, you can put lipstick on a pig...

Andi

He's just focusing on his job at hand.  He is trying to be president, but he is a Senator right now.

But I do agree with Obama on the idea of multitasking this situation, but he just comes off as arrogant the way he puts things sometimes.

Also, I dont think McCain is worried about debating Obama.  Have you ever seen Obama talk without a teleprompter?  Makes Bush look eloquent.

2008-09-25 10:40 AM
in reply to: #1695692

User image

Alpharetta, GA
njkeating - 2008-09-25 11:28 AM

Andi

He's just focusing on his job at hand.  He is trying to be president, but he is a Senator right now.

But I do agree with Obama on the idea of multitasking this situation, but he just comes off as arrogant the way he puts things sometimes.

Also, I dont think McCain is worried about debating Obama.  Have you ever seen Obama talk without a teleprompter?  Makes Bush look eloquent.

Yeah, I think McCain did this to look presidential.  But I don't think it will work in his favor that way.  I've seen McCain in a few interviews of late and he was horrible.  This week, in talking about how he was going to reform CEO pay, he was asked about former HP CEO Carly Fiorina (who works on his campaign) and he basically admitted he had no clue about the circumstances behind her leaving HP or her golden parachute.  And he wants people to believe he adequately researched Palin?  He is way off his game.  Agree too, Obama is bad without the teleprompter but with what I have seen of McCain lately, Obama is still more on his game.  Even so, I have no plans to vote for Obama but am getting used to the idea that he'll be running the country for at least four years.

Although the pathetic way they both are trying to take credit for wanting this bi-partisan meeting is ridiculous.  They are both pigs wearing lipstick.

Andi

2008-09-25 11:04 AM

Veteran
Randolph, MA

They both come off looking bad pretty much all of the time.  The very fact that the Democrats should have this election in a slam dunk, and it is coming down to the wire just shows how much people dont like Obama.  And it's very hard for anyone to get behind McCain.

It's why I'm voting Bob Barr.

2008-09-25 11:06 AM
in reply to: #1695825

User image

Alpharetta, GA
njkeating - 2008-09-25 12:04 PM

They both come off looking bad pretty much all of the time.  The very fact that the Democrats should have this election in a slam dunk, and it is coming down to the wire just shows how much people dont like Obama.  And it's very hard for anyone to get behind McCain.

Yeah, I am heading in that direction at this point, too.

2008-09-25 11:12 AM
in reply to: #1695839

Veteran
Randolph, MA
Anditrigirl - 2008-09-25 12:06 PM
njkeating - 2008-09-25 12:04 PM

Yeah, I am heading in that direction at this point, too.

Good, we need more of us. Haha.

2008-09-25 11:34 AM
in reply to: #1695692

User image

Expert
Westchester, NY

I've heard this a couple times and just do not get it.  I think this is one of Obama's strengths and an area where McCain (not to mention Palin) is weak.

2008-09-25 1:23 PM
in reply to: #1695825

User image

Elite
Boise
njkeating - 2008-09-25 11:04 AM

Bob Barr soils the good name of Libertarians

2008-09-25 2:07 PM
in reply to: #1696264

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
JoshR - 2008-09-25 12:23 PM

Imagine how it would have been had Ron Paul accepted Barr's offer to be a running mate

Ron Paul 2008!
2008-09-25 4:30 PM
in reply to: #1696462

User image

Elite
Boise
cooutdoors - 2008-09-25 2:07 PM
JoshR - 2008-09-25 12:23 PM

Imagine how it would have been had Ron Paul accepted Barr's offer to be a running mate Ron Paul 2008!

That I might have voted for.

Edit: However I don't think Bob Barr is even half of what a true libertarian should be. Which is also probably why Ron Paul wouldn't accept the nomination (and his statement that he didn't think anything would happen from a 3rd party).

Edited by JoshR 2008-09-25 4:31 PM
2008-09-25 4:39 PM
in reply to: #1695728

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Anditrigirl - 2008-09-25 10:40 AM

Andi

Yeah, I think McCain did this to look presidential.  But I don't think it will work in his favor that way.  I've seen McCain in a few interviews of late and he was horrible.  This week, in talking about how he was going to reform CEO pay, he was asked about former HP CEO Carly Fiorina (who works on his campaign) and he basically admitted he had no clue about the circumstances behind her leaving HP or her golden parachute.  And he wants people to believe he adequately researched Palin?  He is way off his game.  Agree too, Obama is bad without the teleprompter but with what I have seen of McCain lately, Obama is still more on his game.  Even so, I have no plans to vote for Obama but am getting used to the idea that he'll be running the country for at least four years.

Although the pathetic way they both are trying to take credit for wanting this bi-partisan meeting is ridiculous.  They are both pigs wearing lipstick.

Andi

How sexist!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » McCain to suspend campaign and ask to delay debate Rss Feed  

of 3