General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does running fitness convert to riding fitness? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-19 5:58 AM

New user

Subject: Does running fitness convert to riding fitness?
If someone is a fit runner, does this fitness translate to riding fitness much?
When I used to ride alot but hardly ran, the first time I started running I wasn't fit at all, even though I was quite fit on the bike.
Is the same vice versa, or would a trained runner be fitter on the bike because running fitness is harder to achieve than riding fitness?

Cheers,
Shane

2005-02-19 6:14 AM
in reply to: #119806

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Does running fitness convert to riding fitness?

"Fitness" is a very broad term, encompasses many aspects of good health. Some of these aspects, such as cardiovascular endurance, translate well within the different disciplines and activities because you use the same cardiovascular system as you bike, run, etc.. Other aspects, such as specific muscular strength and endurance, do not translate because you emphasize different muscle groups in each activity. Running emphasizes the hamstrings and hip flexors while cycling emphasizes the quads and the glutes. IMHO, this is the reason for triathlons, throw in swimming which emphasizes the upper body and you get a degree of balance by working quite a few different myscle groups.

I'm not sure I agree with your generalization, " running fitness is harder to achieve than riding fitness."

2005-02-19 6:27 AM

New user

What I meant by saying that running fitness is harder to achieve, I meant that as far as the cardiovascular and respiratory systems are concerned, not so much the muscular system. I think putting maximum effort into a run will drain someone alot more than someone who puts maximum effort into a ride for the same time period.

The reason I'm asking this is because I want to concentrate more on my running for an upcoming race, and by focusing on running I have to reduce cycling training. What I want to know is, will I still be fitter on the bike?

Thanks.
2005-02-19 6:42 AM
in reply to: #119809

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

I think putting maximum effort into a run will drain someone alot more than someone who puts maximum effort into a ride for the same time period.

Now I definitely disagree with this statement. Perhaps that works for you, perhaps you're not putting as much effort into cycling, but again, I don't think that holds up. Maximum effort is as draining regardless of the activity.

2005-02-19 10:34 AM
in reply to: #119809

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ

I think putting maximum effort into a run will drain someone alot more than someone who puts maximum effort into a ride for the same time period.

Here is where your statement is most true though...for the same time period...you can always go a lot further on a bike in less time than in a run.  I am forced to agree with your statement but only because your comparing apples to oranges.

Your saying: 

Run – Time / Distance = Energy output

Bike – Time / Distance = Energy output

What you should be comparing:

Run – Time / (Distance x 2.3)  = Energy output

Bike – Time / Distance = Energy output

This is something I just threw together to better compare bike and run energy output and is not entirely accurate.  Using this kind of formula will get you comparing apples with apple sauce at least.

2005-02-19 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Tucson, Arizona
I may be missing what you're asking here, which always a chance . But I have to agree with Casey and Bear on this. Red lining whether you're running or biking is red lining, you can get just as tired on the bike as you can the run.

Now, from my verrry limited pov I can say that the problem I have is a muscular one let's say. I can exercise for 4 hours no problem as long as I watch my effort, but does that mean I can run for 4....NO! For me, it's a matter of training my body to perform well in both areas, not my cv system.

I've been riding my bike for about 7 years now. About 4 years before that, I was an avid runner and on my track and cc team in High School. But I've never done them at the same time, it's either been one or the other.

So, that's been my experience with this...throw in the swimming and I'm completely lame! Hope this helps.

Scot

2005-02-19 1:21 PM
in reply to: #119837

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Casey, is that "2.3" based on your experience, or do you have another reference you're pulling it from?
2005-02-19 3:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ

To tell you the truth it was something I just threw together just for the purpose of this thread.  I have other research that is more in depth for calculating and comparing energy output between disciplines but I didn't want to go that in depth.

Bottom line is you can't account for all factors when comparing disciplines so it's next to impossible...but 2.3 is something that will do in a pinch...no other references, that's why I included the disclaimer...but the 2.3 helps to get your/mine point across.

Why, what are your thoughts?

I also wanted to add, in retrospect, that it is possible to maintain and slightly improve your performance levels for riding by just running more/faster.  I increased my level of running distance and speed one month when my bike was in the shop.  When I got my bike back I was able to ride a slight bit faster then before the bike went into the shop.  I tried to keep my routine thinking that I didn't need to ride as much anymore.  Shortly thereafter, I started to lose performance in my bike AVG speed dramatically.  I haven't tried it the other way around.

2005-02-19 3:50 PM

User image

Expert
Montreal
Having a good aerobic base is a good start for any sport.
In terms of straight calories burned your running workout is going to burn more calories. I consider both these speeds to be good workouts you might be considerably faster I have seen people here who post average speeds of between 25-30 MPH for their bike workouts and 5 minute miles for their runs.
Running example - 1 hour of running 8 minute miles for a 170 lb man will equal 960 calories burned http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=259
Cycling example - 1 hour of cycling at 16 MPH for the same man will only burn about 770 calories. http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.html

You should be able to keep your fitless level to a certain extent, but remembe that you are using different muscles when you ride than when you run. Running involves the whole body. Riding demands a great deal of only certain muscle groups and for the best results keeping the rest as still as possible. Motionless shoulders and torso with legs going like clappers is a very different activity.

2005-02-19 4:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ

I was on the same path wookie, below is a good calculator for calories.  If you plug in your data you should be able to find out if your working hard enough on the bike to consider it being equal to a running work out.

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.html

Dangit!!! you really beat me on that one!!!WTG!!!

Edited by Casey Shaw 2005-02-19 4:09 PM
2005-02-20 6:08 AM

User image

New user

Subject: I didn't see anyone talking about heart rate...
I have been cycling for a couple of years now, but am new to the swimming/running game. Just started training for triathlons. But for me, I've noticed the following: for what seems to be a similar sustained physical output, I average 125 bpm for the swim, 145 bpm for the ride, and 160 bpm for a run. I have a much better developed upper body which might explain the swim, but does this data suggest "less running fitness"?

Thoughts?

Matt

2005-02-20 6:30 AM
in reply to: #120049

User image

Veteran
Richmond, VA
Subject: RE: I didn't see anyone talking about heart rate...

Nahhh, it is well known and described that for any given level of fitness, HRmax swim < bike < run.

As I understand it, this has a lot to do with heat exchange being different among the disciplines.

Thus, just because your HR is higher in biking/running doesn't mean that you are less capable at these sports.  It still may be true, but you can't use the HR to prove it.

2005-02-20 11:53 AM
in reply to: #120050

User image

Elite
Chicago
fraggle - 2005-02-20 5:30 AM

Nahhh, it is well known and described that for any given level of fitness, HRmax swim < bike < run.

As I understand it, this has a lot to do with heat exchange being different among the disciplines.

Wow!  That surprises me.  I would have thought that HRmax would be bike < swim < run.

Very interesting.  Where is this well known and described?  I'd love to read about it.  It's almost counterintuitive!

2005-02-20 4:03 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Catharines, Ontario

Edited by owie 2005-02-20 4:06 PM
2005-02-20 4:05 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Catharines, Ontario
saint_ww - 2005-02-20 9:08 AM

I have been cycling for a couple of years now, but am new to the swimming/running game. Just started training for triathlons. But for me, I've noticed the following: for what seems to be a similar sustained physical output, I average 125 bpm for the swim, 145 bpm for the ride, and 160 bpm for a run. I have a much better developed upper body which might explain the swim, but does this data suggest "less running fitness"?

Thoughts?

Matt

Less running efficiency.

It all takes time. Running fitness gets you to be a better biker sooner and vise versa.
2005-02-20 4:05 PM

Subject: Disagree
To the previous poster...Are you saying that you think a higher heart rate on the run means means "less running efficiency". Maybe I misunderstood your post. Everyone has a higher heart rate on the run than the bike (unless you are sandbagging the run and pushing the bike), and this does not mean less running efficiency, it means you are using much more of your body, thus working harder. This is normal.

Edited by WATriChick 2005-02-20 4:18 PM

2005-02-20 4:10 PM

Subject: Yes
Hi Shane,
I've been running marathons for nine years. Last July, I bought my first bike on July 8, did my first Duathlon, an Olympic, exactly four weeks later. Placed quite well, and rode a respectable time. Did my first Tri iin Oct. and was 4th of 15 women (it was a small tri!) and 15th overall of 40. It was NOT because of the swim...was in the BOP coming out of the water, not DFL, but close. I'm sure my placing was due to running fitness, not the limited amount of miking I had done. Good luck to you this season!

J.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does running fitness convert to riding fitness? Rss Feed