General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim tip - don't push hard off the wall Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-09-25 6:35 PM
in reply to: #1697278

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Swim tip - don't push hard off the wall
ChrisM - 2008-09-25 4:33 PM
Aikidoman - 2008-09-25 4:29 PM

I swim in pudding.  Since it has a higher viscosity, it helps me when I get to the open water.

Yes, it's been a long day.....

What flavor (it can be any flavor, just so long as it's chocolate)?

Don't laugh, there was a study, you're probably as fast in molasses as you are in water

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Midwest/08/19/faster.swimming.ap/

actually makes sense....

2008-09-25 6:38 PM
in reply to: #1697213

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
I can maintain my tempo and speed and do not have to accelerate as I come off each wall.

This just adds to my point. During OWS, you have to sometimes stop and regain your bearings, the restart, without a wall to push off of. So, accelerating after each wall (because of a weak push) actually is helping me. Thanks, I never thought of it that way.

I agree some streamline practice may be good. But not 33% of your pool time (after each wall).
2008-09-25 6:45 PM
in reply to: #1697289

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

keyone - 2008-09-25 4:38 PM
I can maintain my tempo and speed and do not have to accelerate as I come off each wall.
This just adds to my point. During OWS, you have to sometimes stop and regain your bearings, the restart, without a wall to push off of.

In a swim I never have to stop and regain my bearings. So while it might not be an advantage for me, it might be for you at this stage of your swimming. I practice sighting during my pool training. Do you throw that in from time to time? I think the flags are 5 yards out so approximately 1/5 the distance in a 25 yard pool, 1/10th in a 50 meter pool (if only I could train in one).

PS Great job on your top 3 finish in the run. Great goodies as a prize.

Edited by E=H2O 2008-09-25 6:47 PM
2008-09-25 6:55 PM
in reply to: #1697298

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
E=H2O - 2008-09-25 7:45 PM

keyone - 2008-09-25 4:38 PM
This just adds to my point. During OWS, you have to sometimes stop and regain your bearings, the restart, without a wall to push off of.

In a swim I never have to stop and regain my bearings. So while it might not be an advantage for me, it might be for you at this stage of your swimming. I practice sighting during my pool training. Do you throw that in from time to time? I think the flags are 5 yards out so approximately 1/5 the distance in a 25 yard pool, 1/10th in a 50 meter pool (if only I could train in one).

PS Great job on your top 3 finish in the run. Great goodies as a prize.

Thanks.

I resurface before the flags (intentionally) but the 'real' swimmers in my 25 meter pool go way beyond them...that's where I'm estimating the 33%. I just don't see the point of a triathlete trying to glide that far. That's all I'm saying.

I get a little better each year in how much stopping I have to do during the swim leg of a race. My last race, I had a super swim split and hardly stopped at all. Sometimes it depends on the conditions. I did one race where it was really foggy. I couldn't see a darn thing and stopped alot looking for something, anything to sight against. Eventually, I just decided to follow the swimmers in front of me hoping that was right, and it was! And another where the sun was right in my eyes, so could not see buoys or trees or anything. Eventually, I just swam toward the light and that was right, too. Sometimes, you just have to trust your instincts. In those races, my swim splits weren't that great, but nobody else's were either, and my splits were less crappy than my competitor's. In those cases, my crappy pool swimming style helps me deal with crappy swim conditions. :-)

Edited by keyone 2008-09-25 7:01 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim tip - don't push hard off the wall Rss Feed  

of 2