General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Training why no Zone 3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2018-06-25 12:27 PM
in reply to: davhamm

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2018-06-25 6:09 PM
in reply to: davhamm

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Heart Rate Training why no Zone 3

Originally posted by davhamm Ok, I have read lots of stuff on trainig w/ and without a HRM. I have heard the line most people train to hard on easy days, and to easy on hard days. And zone 1/2 or zone 4/5 but don't train in zone 3. WHY?

I do 2-3 5 mile recovery work outs a week in my Z1 Heart Rate Zone

I do 1-2 medium 10 mile runs a week in the Z2 Heart Rate Zone

The weeks I do just one medium run I will do either a Hill work out, track work out, or tempo run for 6-7 miles.  My hill work outs have 100-150m all out sprints in my Z5+ zone, my track work outs are 400m repeats in my Z4 zone, and my tempo runs are 8-20 minute intervals in my Z3 zone. 

I do a 12-15 mile long run in my Z2 zone each week.

The bike training plan is two medium rides a week and a long ride and has a similar range of heart rate zone.  About 80% of what I do is in the Z1-Z2 zone.  The other stuff is basically just breaking up the pace.  I haven't read much on Heart rate training.  I came to Triathlon in 2015 from a 30 year competitive running background.  As a runner I had 7-8 coaches and not a one of them every had me do a lick of heart rate training.  I am convinced that Heart Rate training must have come to the triathlon culture from cyclists.  As a runner I would do speed work outs on the track every Tuesday and everything else was Z1 running unless we had a race on the weekend then it would be Z5+.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Training why no Zone 3 Rss Feed  

of 2