North Carolina Roadrunners Club
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 08m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 8/
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 6am (even though my alarm was set for 6:45) and I did a few things around the house, relaxed for a bit, ate two pieces of toast with peanut butter, and then I left at 8am to head over to the race.
Event warmup:

I jogged from my parking spot to the start area (about 1/3 of a mile) and then spent about 15 minutes stretching.
Run
  • 28m 20s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

This was by far one of my better races! As always, I started off way to fast (7:57 first mile) but I held my spot in 11th place until just before the 2nd mile (a few of my NCRC friends were volunteering along the course and they were keeping track of where the NCRC members were in the race). I slowed down at one of the hills and I didn't pick my pace back up. My breathing never felt labored and I never felt really tired though!
What would you do differently?:

Pick up the pace during/after the last hill. I slowed it down and I was passed (by people in my own age group).
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around for a bit to get my heart rate down and then I zoned in on the stretching. My knee started to hurt a a bit so I really worked on stretching out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really - this was a great race for me and I felt good the whole time. I should have picked up the pace at the end though. But overall, this pace is much faster than what I usually run so I am a happy camper.

Event comments:

This is my second year running in this race and it's nice to run in a women's only race. A lot of 'first-timers' came out but there wasn't a lot of pressure or nervous-ness at the start line. It was very well organized and they gave away a lot of great prizes at the end.

Last updated: 2008-09-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:20 | 03.1 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: The course started at the Halifax community center and wound through the neighborhoods of downtown Raleigh. There were three significant hills but they were pretty far spread apart.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes