United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 16m 40s
Overall Rank = 10/45
Age Group = All Men
Age Group Rank = 9/32
Pre-race routine:

Had an egg burrito for breakfast, took the boys to Grandma's and headed to the race. The only complaint about the race was they only had 3 porta-johns most of my pre-race time was spent in line. Lucky I picked up my packet Friday.
Event warmup:

None. Why warm up for a race that I plan on starting slow.
Run
  • 4h 16m 40s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first marathon, and I've never run much more than a 1/2 marathon before. I didn't know what to expect. I just went out slow figuring there was plenty of time to pick up the pace if I felt good. It's hard to keep pace under control on the first lap because there are a lot of people who are doing the 10k and 1/2 so I had to keep reminding myself not to worry about them and to just run my own race.

My goal was to keep a steady 10 minute mile pace throughout which I maintained pretty well. Very happy with my nutrition, took a small gatorade at every aid station (about 3 miles apart). Had one powergel and about 1/4 cliff bar. They had skittles at one aid station. I grabbed a handful thinking they were M&M's....not the same. I had zero stomach issues I REALLY hope I can maintain nutrition like this during a much longer day at IMAZ.

Miles 23 and 24 were the "heartbreak hill" of this race. Mostly uphill for those entire 2 miles. I did resort to some power walking for maybe a total of 1/2 mile during this stretch, mostly because my run on this steep terrain wasn't much faster. The last 2 miles are downhill which is great because my legs were toast, but I just let gravity do the work.

I wasn't passed by anyone during the 2nd loop and I passed at least 6 people that I can remember on the 2nd loop. When I got to the finish line they gave me a finishers medal and said I got 9th place. I checked the board and I was 10th overall with the first place woman finishing about 15 minutes ahead of me. There weren't any other people between us, so I think my placement was the best I could have done, because there is no way I would have caught her. The race director said that about 70 people had signed up for the marathon, but that about 10 didn't show up. Looking forward to checking out the official results when the post them. I'm happy with a top 10 even if there were only 50 people in the race.
What would you do differently?:

More body glide on various parts of my feet, toes and nether regions. Some chafing and blister issues, but nothing major.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat on my ass.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual...need more training and talent.

Event comments:

This race is small, the Forest Service permit limits it to 250 people (it did sell out). Not many spectators, which honestly I liked today. Sometimes I like people cheering and sometimes I like to just go to my happy place and run inside myself...if that makes any sense.

This is the anti-rock & roll marathon, but I think I might sign up for it anyway. Kind of a yin and yang thing you know.

Last updated: 2008-08-04 12:00 AM
Running
04:16:40 | 26.2 miles | 09m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/32
Overall: 10/45
Performance: Good
10k Split: 59:00 Half Split: 2:04:33 (2nd loop 1:05:33) 19.4 Miles: 3:05:06 (2nd 10k split 1:00:32) Finish: 4:16:37 (2nd loop split 1:11:30)
Course: This course is awesome. They also had a 10k and Half marathon that all started together. The course is kind of a figure 8 with the first loop of the 8 being 10k and the second loop being 7 miles. The marathon does this twice. The course is all trail, at the Flagstaff Nordic Center. Starting elevation 8,000 feet, top of course is 8,600 feet. Total elevation gain on the marathon course is 2,200 feet. If you like trail running, this is for you. Footing is OK, but you've got to pay close attention to your footing. A lot of the course you're running on grass which is really nice on the knees. There are some pretty steep spots, particularly on the 2nd loop of the 8. Running through aspen groves and ponderosa forest. I loved this course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-27 6:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Flagstaff, AZ
Subject: Flagstaff Marathon

2008-09-27 6:21 PM
in reply to: #1701113

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: Flagstaff Marathon
Fabulous race, Dave! Awesome job on your first marathon!
2008-09-27 7:34 PM
in reply to: #1701113

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Flagstaff Marathon
Congratulations on an awesome marathon debut! That is an awesome time and to finish 9th is terrific! Well done
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Flagstaff Marathon Rss Feed