Westchester Triathlon
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 32m 21s
Overall Rank = 105/855
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/61
Pre-race routine:

Got up ate a banana, oatmeal and OJ. Drove to race (about 25 min). Realized on drive there that I forgot my asthma spray, visor and change of clothes
Event warmup:

Short run - to car to pick up sunglasses that I forgot to bring to transition.
Swim
  • 22m 6s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

That's right, after 3 years of being undefeated amateur female in the swim split (including big races like Alcatraz) I finally got beat by another chick. Granted, I was racing with a pinched nerve -which made my whole right side hurt when I put my arm above my head, but she might have beaten me anyway. What was great is that I got to draft off of someone for the first time since Escape to Bermuda when I drafted off the pros. Unfortunately, the waves were only 3 min apart and by the time we (me and the girl who beat all the guys) got 1/3 of the way through the race at the first turn bouy there were so many people in my way that I lost her. Had I been in "clean" water I think I could have stuck with her. Turns out she swam for Cal with Natalie C - so can't feel bad about her beating me...
Swim was definitely looong this year (usually 18 min mile swimmer). Likely to make up for the short swim last year (I split 15 min!)
What would you do differently?:

not much except not have a pinched nerve. It would be nice to have an "elite" wave at this race - I think it would have helped a lot in the swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

Ran into a traffic jam out of T1 andthe guy in front of me almost fell off his bike, which made me almost fall off of my bike. Kinda annoying.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 5s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.86 mile/hr
Comments:

I was annoyed I didn't go at least 20 mph, but since it felt like someone was knifing me in the back of my neck while in aero due to my pinched nerve it was not bad. Switching to race versus power tap wheels really helps on hills :) but, need to shed a few lbs before Bermuda because I still felt "heavy". Actually had one of the fastest splits up "Claire's Climb". Still need to work on better cornering. Also, need to put the Gu contraption on my bike since I wasted a few seconds opening Gu packs while racing. Also, could have pushed this portion of the race a little harder. Same bikecourse as last year - 3 min faster :)
What would you do differently?:

see above
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Ugh, they changed the placement of the dismount which was confusing to the racers. The guy ahead of me stopped short which made me crash into him. Bangged up my hand but no major damage - just annoying.
Run
  • 51m 41s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

This is the first time I have run the entire 6.2(or in this case, 6.35ish)! Strated off nice and comfortable, at just about 8 min pace. After 3 miles tried to increase effort each mile. Last .2 was more like .35 (took me over 3 min at at about 7-7:30 pace to finish). Time was over 3 min faster than last year on a different, shorter course, so very pleased with the result - just wish the swim was not so long so I could have broken 2:30...
Post race
Warm down:

chatting with friends, drinking water and eating pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to feel comfrotable attackign the bike and run moving forward.

Event comments:

The only majorissue was the crazy long wait for results. Also, I amalmost positive I qualified for Alcatraz with a 2nd place AG finish, but no info on this is posted to the site. I would love to race alcatraz again so I can finish (had a broken foot this year and could only do the swim).

Last updated: 2008-09-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:06 | 1640 yards | 01m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/61
Overall: 4/855
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: sor of a long rectangular. Swimming into sun on way out, then follow the clock tower back. Some jellies - but not the stinging kind.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:15:05 | 24.85 miles | 19.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/61
Overall: 0/855
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: pretty much uphill for the first half with 2 significant climbs (one timed)
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:51:41 | 06.21 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/61
Overall: 0/855
Performance: Good
Course: fairly flat with one significant hill. Very different from previous years and a touch long...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes