United States
52F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 18m 7s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 25/71
Pre-race routine:

Friday, Jim and I picked the kids up after school and drove about four hours to Akron. We didn't pick the best time to travel since it was rush hour we ran into traffic problems in Cincinnati and Columbus. Got to expo around 7:30pm, quick run through and headed to hotel which was about 10 mins from race start, not bad. I checked and rechecked everything before I left KY so I had everything I needed to run. We headed to bed around 10pm after a quick snack and got up around 5am. Ate some cereal and diet coke and off we went.
Event warmup:

walk from parking garage to start
Run
  • 4h 18m 7s
  • 26.54 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I was happy with my run and race. I signed up for Akron because they were giving a free pair of running shoes if you completed the marathon and I had a ten dollar coupon off the entry fee and we have never been to Akron, so why not. I knew the course was hilly and some of it was on what they call the "tow path". But the hills seems to be consistent, which was fine but got old after a while. My pace seem to slow down big time from mile 18 to mile 24. The "tow path" was not fun to run on. It was like fine sand and gravel. The course took us through the University of Akron which was neat and some really beautiful parks. The finish was great, the final leg took us into the their baseball stadium, which was full of people and they had you on a big screen showing your finish, very cool.
What would you do differently?:

I don't think I would do anything different. I have had some issues with cramps in my legs for about two weeks. At about mile 23, it felt like someone was standing behind me and squeezing my calf, very odd feeling I slowed down and it went away. I think I need to increase my potassium. I did work on hills this time and I felt the difference, just still slow.
Post race
Warm down:

very happy to finish, got some food and tried to find Jim and kids , which took several minutes.

Event comments:

I think it was a good race, however, I won't do it again. I'm not be critical but there are other races I could do and was nothing that would bring me back.

Last updated: 2008-09-06 12:00 AM
Running
04:18:07 | 26.54 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/71
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
AVG 150 MAX 163
Course: started downtown Akron, headed through local neighborhoods, thru a trails and parks and then headed back to downtown Akron.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-28 7:35 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Akron Marathon

2008-09-28 8:04 AM
in reply to: #1701483

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: RE: Akron Marathon
Good Job Marathoner.
2008-09-28 3:34 PM
in reply to: #1701483

User image

Extreme Veteran
Latonia, Kentucky (near Cincinnati)
Subject: RE: Akron Marathon
That sure beat the hell out of your LAST marathon! hehehe.  You did a great job and watching you finish in the stadium was VERY cool!  Ok, relax a few days, cause it's almost time to start building the BASE!!!!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Akron Marathon Rss Feed