Peregrine Charities
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 30m
Overall Rank = 64/107
Age Group = M26-29
Age Group Rank = 11/14
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am ate a Clif bar, drank a liter of water and some green tea and drove to the race site. Grabbed my transition bag and set up my transition area. Realized I'd left my glasses (I won't ride without them) at either the hotel or the restaurant last night and had to buy some from the expo. Oh well. Got the wetsuit on just in time to feel the need to hit the porta-potty. Warmed up, and talked to some people.
Event warmup:

Swam a bit, maybe 200yds.
Swim
  • 32m 33s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim was awesome for me. I was so calm and relaxed the whole time I was in the water. Everything just felt smooth and good. The water was like glass. I was able to swim the whole thing doing freestyle, a major improvement for me from my A)damn near every other OWS this season, and B)my last longer-distance swim. I think this was almost identical to my 1000m swim at the Tri-America in Lake Michigan. Oh yeah, this swim also included the bit of time for the run to transition. Say around 1 minute.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

This trans time looks great, until I tell you I couldn't get into my shoes while pedaling. Eventually gave up, stopped, unclipped from the pedals and put the shoes on.

Just put on my shoes and run with them out of transition. I was a bit too fatigued to pull them on while I was moving.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 10s
  • 22 miles
  • 18.55 mile/hr
Comments:

Since I hadn't done an Olympic before I didn't want to try to go out and crush the bike at the expense of my run. I just wanted to set a good pace, hold it and have energy for the run. Plus I was "a bit" tired from the swim. Ate 2 GU's and 750ml of HEED. I love HEED, the taste is so good. But I think I mixed it too strong as I was covered in salt at the end of the race.

Probably push just a little bit harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

It worked. That's really all you can say about transitions, right?
Run
  • 52m 1s
  • 6 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow, can't believe this run put me at 12/14. No matter. Felt great during the run, during the whole race really, but surprisingly good during the run. Wish I would have had some more time to break in the new shoes, but they felt fine. My legs aren't even too sore now. I am really happy with how the run went. My longest training runs have pushed 6 miles, and have generally been at about 9min/mile. So this is great. Got to talk some smack on the run to all the guys running in UNI Panthers jerseys (UNI is in Cedar Falls/Waterloo and my Saluki's just beat up on them last night). Got to joke around a bit with the volunteers and had some fun.

Nothing. Nothing at all. I can't believe I went out there at the end of all that and laid down 8:XX min/miles. I couldn't really be more pleased with that.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line and took my medal, hat, bottle of Gatorade and water. Walked for a minute to get my balance set up right, then headed for the massage tent. Did a good bit of stretching/yoga while I waited in line for my turn at the table.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Really, I felt like my performance was good overall. Of course with more training I would have been able to swim/bike/run faster. But this was my first Oly. I lost all of July in the pool due to injury, and the first two weeks of September, basically, to a cold which became bronchitis.

Event comments:

Overall this may have been the most well organized and staffed race of the 8 that I've done. Was at the very least the equal of Carmel, IN. They had a ton of volunteers who were all very friendly and cheered for everyone. Some of the girls on the run course had been clapping so much that their hands actually turned red. They were very well organized and had some great swag. I spoke the race director after the race and congratulated her on how well the event was put together, and how fantastic their venue was, especially considering that this was their first year. They even had funny stuff at the end like the UNI cheerleaders cheering for people as I crossed the finish line. Luckily they weren't there when I came across or I would have had to ask them to do a cheer for my Saluki's. This is definitely a race I would recommend to anyone looking for a late season Olympic distance.

This was also a fantastic race for me for a few reasons.
1)I decided to do the race yesterday, so I hadn't spent time thinking about what kind of time I should finish in so I hadn't put any pressure on myself. I think this is why I was so calm during the entire race. I was just focused on racing my race and not worrying about anyone else.
2)After the mechanical difficulties last week, everything went so nice and smooth.
3)After I got to the midpoint of this season I knew I wanted to do an Olympic, and this just worked out so well.
4)Everything about the race was just so good that I couldn't find anything to complain about if I wanted to.

Last updated: 2008-09-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:33 | 1760 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/14
Overall: 58/107
Performance: Good
Suit: QRoo Ultrafull
Course: Out and back on a straight-ish line
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:15
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:11:10 | 22 miles | 18.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/14
Overall: 70/107
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Pretty much a big circle around their airport with one 3 mile section of out and back. The majority was very flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:01 | 06 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/14
Overall: 63/107
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back with the first and last mile on park roads and the middle 4 miles on a nice paved trail. Very flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-28 4:50 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
Subject: Peregrine Charities Triathlon

2008-09-28 5:28 PM
in reply to: #1701943

User image

Expert
central Iowa
Subject: RE: Peregrine Charities Triathlon
Good RR, it was a little hard to read with all those paragraphs but I really liked it.  You decided to do this race at the last minute and totally rocked it.  You might want to check your total time though, I think that something doesn't quite add up
2008-09-28 5:35 PM
in reply to: #1701983

User image

Davenport, IA

cami bee - 2008-09-28 5:28 PM Good RR, it was a little hard to read with all those paragraphs but I really liked it.  You decided to do this race at the last minute and totally rocked it.  You might want to check your total time though, I think that something doesn't quite add up

Uh, yeah... that's what I get for filling out RR's the afternoon of the race.  I thought that box wanted start time for some reason. Total time was 2:37:48

2008-09-28 5:53 PM

User image

Expert
northern, ky
awesome job sprint, seemed like a great race.  Way to go out and kick butt and do really well on the run.
2008-09-28 7:48 PM
in reply to: #1702025

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
Great race, D!

That's a dream run pace for me. The rest was none too shabby either. Two snaps up.

Awesome jorb!
2008-09-29 8:36 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Nicely done!!!!  Seriously.

You did exactly what you needed to do.  You raced your race. 

Congrats!

2008-09-29 10:19 AM

User image

Expert
Wauwatosa
nice work!
That is a nice solid race!
2008-09-29 11:24 AM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Great Job on your first Oly!  Especially considering it was a last minute decision!!
2008-09-30 7:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa

congrats on your first oly!  great job on a smart race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peregrine Charities Triathlon Rss Feed