General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
McKinney, Texas
United States
Play Tri
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 7s
Overall Rank = 126/312
Age Group = 39 under Clydes
Age Group Rank = 6/28
Pre-race routine:

First race so was making up the routine as I went. Son woke up early so got out of the house late, but on time. Race was close to home, 20 minute drive. Packed the night before so was set to go.
Event warmup:

Not in good enough shape to go run or swim, ha. Stood in line for a long time, swam out to the deep water swim, guess I will count that as the warm up. Saw JeepFleeb exit the water and run up the hill, nice to recognize someone (even though I don't know him yet)
Swim
  • 14m 42s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt great getting in the water after standing around for so long, although the last hour before flew by. Positioned out to the left where it was least crowded, had to pull past a few young guys that positioned themselves at the front and should not have. Wetsuit was very buoyant and I didnt have to tread very much waiting for the start. The first buoy came up nice and fast, but the second one which looked closer took forever to reach.
What would you do differently?:

Went out too fast, but was happy I had open water. Keep practicing spotting so I stay on course and have minimal slow down next time. Wanted to break 15 minutes, but had hoped for a little faster. 13:52 was 1st in our division, so not bad at this point.
Transition 1
  • 04m 11s
Comments:

8th. Long run from water, over hill, and down hill, through the tennis courts. I think they said 400+m. Didn't push it through t1 since it was my first ever. Figured to be better safe than sorry. Kept thinking as I hobbled off in my bike shoes, what did I forget, that wasnt bad. No flying mount here, pictured some painful miscues in my mind, played it safe again. Took way to long to clip in.

1 minute off my group best times, 2 minutes off the top times. Next time I need to run a little harder, learn how to get the back of my shirt down quicker or bite the bullet and get a tri-specific shirt. Learn how to do a flying mount.
Bike
  • 38m 16s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.82 mile/hr
Comments:

When I rode the course the past few weeks, I attacked the first hill and it kicked my booty, so I figured to save a little and cruise up it. Oh the burn, yes the burn, legs burning, and burning....wow, I need to ride a lot more miles. This was the beginning of watching some really fast cyclist. Remembered to stay right, never got any angry "on the lefts" towards me. Motioned a few guys by and got a thanks and even some encouragement from some fast guys. First lap I wanted to get accustom and the second lap I pushed a little and felt better than the first lap. I knew this was my weakest area but I wanted under 40 minutes and accomplished that but would have liked to be closer to 30. Need to get bike checked again, front derailer got jammed for a few miles, stuck in the big gear, lucky it was during flat/downhill.

Well, how to put this....umh.... ride fast. Trust myself and push from the beginning, it is a race after all. Need to believe that my run will be there after all the quad burning. Miles Miles Miles
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

8th, 30 seconds off group lead. Running with bike shoes on felt better than I had imagined. Seemed to keep pace and felt better in this one that t1. Legs didnt feel wobbly like I expected, remember to bike harder.

One last swig of water not needed, drink on the bike while moving. Learn a flying dismount.
Run
  • 28m 33s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh, the old man aches. Right knee and right heel feeling it right out of the gates. And the hill didnt help much, but kept on the heels of the guy in front of me and dealt with it. Guy in front of me started walking, meant to cheer him on but figured it might piss him off if I told him not to walk (I probably would have sounded angry at this point, ha). Got over the hill and through the tunnel (but grandmothers house is not here). This was a slow pace. I knew I had more speed in me, but I just couldn't kick it in like I used to be able to when I was 17. Saw JeepFleeb fly by going the other way, couldnt get my mind and mouth to work at same time so just looked at him funny (sorry man). Saw some really fast woman blow by me, but didnt see/notice anyone in my age group pass me up, so that was good. Saw the young kid that I had to squeeze by in the swim pass me up, should have manned up and ran with him. Then again, he was 15 and probably 130 lbs. After the turn around and under the road again, got passed by someone going a good pace so decided to at least try to mark them. He was about 25 yards in front of me and closed on him at the end. I caught him, since we had the same time, but I went by him. His name is on top, but I think they put it there since he was younger, ha.

Trust my running speed and turn it up sooner. Waited too long to start running instead of jogging. Remember it is a race not a training or fun run. Only 2 minutes off group leader, could have pulled that off if I had known I was actually close.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and found family. That was about it. I felt pretty good right after the race, but after getting home, darn, I should have waited in line for one of those massages.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience. Now I know what to expect, and I can push myself and trust that I can finish stronger.

Event comments:

No races to compare to. Seemed like with the number of people, could have had some more booths post race. Area was limited on space, so that might have been part of it. Only food I found was pizza and bananas. But don't get me wrong. Well organized, lots of volunteers everywhere and very safe intersections on the bike (police at all of them directing).

Last updated: 2008-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:42 | 820 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/28
Overall: 0/312
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit
Course: Neighborhood pond/lake. 1 lap for sprint, 2 for olympic
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:11
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:38:16 | 12 miles | 18.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/28
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Pretty hilly course compared to the general area (north Texas is pretty flat). Right out of the gate is the biggest uphill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:33 | 03.11 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/28
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back. Hills out of t2, at the turn around and 2 tunnels under the street.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-09-28 5:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2008-09-28 10:38 PM
in reply to: #1701995

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Sounds like you had an awesome first race!  Good job!  Your swim was incredible too.  Welcome to the sport!!!!
2008-09-29 9:26 AM
in reply to: #1702501

User image

Veteran
Thanks.  I felt like I raced the swim and survived the others.  Going to put them together on the next one.
2008-10-02 12:45 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

Nice first race! Now that you have one down, the rest will seem like pure fun! Or agony, depending on how you race them!

Congrats! 

2008-10-02 2:54 PM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Great job! The bike and run at Stonebridge hurt. Other races will be cake compared to this one. Especially that first mile on the run. It hurts.
2008-10-02 4:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks.   Yeah that first mile on the run was not my friend, kinda defeated me mentally not to kick it in like I could/should have.  Will find out, going to do the blacklands in a few weeks.  300pool swim should be cake to the 850 ows.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed