Playtri
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 20m 25s
Overall Rank = 12/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/17
Pre-race routine:

Left the house about 6:00 and parked at the Starbucks. It was nice only having to drive 15 min to the race site.
Event warmup:

Robin and I got our transitions set up, then I went and swam about 200M. Not much of a warm up but I felt good in the water and that helps.
Swim
  • 27m 25s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

My goal for this race was to get some open water swim practice for Longhorn. I really just wanted to have a comfortable 1500 meters, site well, stay relaxed and come out of the water feeling good.

When the horn sounded I tried getting in behind some people for a draft while I got in a grove, this lasted about 50M then I was out on my own. They probaly let me go around and ended up darfting off me. I hit the first turn and felt good. This ended up being the story for the rest of my swim. When I got to the end of the first loop, the leaders in the open wave went by me. They were flying. Made me realize how slow I am in the water.
What would you do differently?:

Keep swimming. Swimming is weird because you don't see dramatic gains in time. Pleased with the swim as this was a PR in oly distance.
Transition 1
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

T1 was real slow. I wasn't planning on going hard this race so I took my time. Ended up regretting this decision.

Go faster.
Bike
  • 59m 49s
  • 24 miles
  • 24.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Planned on riding at HIM pace to see how I feel. Ended up going harder than planned, but not all out. Pretty uneventful ride, the bike rode great. The last lap was a little crowded as the sprinters hit the course, and I did see one wreck.

Ate 1 GU, 1 enduroshark, and drank 16 OZ gu2o (200 cal).

If I had went into this race with a different mindset and wasn't doing Longhorn next weekend, I would push it harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

This transition was laughable. I got in and missed my rack, came back, and sat down to put on sox and shoes (yes I wore sox today as this is what I will do next weekend). Took forever. Got up and went to take off and realized I didn't know where the run out was. Asked some dude standing there and he pointed it out.

Approach transitions like I was racing.
Run
  • 48m 11s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I stuck to my goal on the run and ran at a pace I felt comfortable with and something I thought I could do for 13.1. I was surprised to see my result (ended up being a PR for an oly dist tri). I picked up the pace more toward the end than I thought, but felt really comfortable the entire run. Knee didn't bother me much during the run.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw Bird, Hogans, Jen and Craig as I ran in. Made me laugh. Hung out and looked at the results. Left to go eat mexican food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing.

Event comments:

I like this race and the course is good considering it's in the middle of a busy area. The lake is pretty sick, but aren't all ponds like that.

Last updated: 2008-09-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:25 | 1500 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 19/
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy PointZero3
Course: Clockwise double loop in a small neighborhood pond.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:09
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:59:49 | 24 miles | 24.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 2/
AVG Watts 266, AVG HR 159, AVG CAD 92. Lap 1 and 2 were the same speed, Increased speed by .1 for lap 3 and .2 for lap 4. HR was highest on lap 1 and came down on each lap.
Wind: None
Course: 6 mile square with some small rollers.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:48:11 | 06.21 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 35/
Don't have HR data, but ran a neg split 25:26 going out, 22:45 coming back.
Course: Run all over Stonebridge. The stretch from mile 2 to the turn had some challenging hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-28 7:44 PM

User image

Subject: Stonebridge Ranch

2008-09-28 8:20 PM
in reply to: #1702232

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: Stonebridge Ranch
you are one speedy athlete. i think a name change should go into effect immediately. great job toad. great job. fun to see you on the swim exit, going into the bike dismount and on the run. very cool. well done you speedy athlete you!!
2008-09-28 10:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Congratulations FASTTOAD!  You rocked this course!  I am visualizing you walking around in T2 wonderng where to go...lol!  Maybe we should all do more training races with no expectations...and win it!   Good job Todd.
2008-09-29 10:50 AM

User image

Veteran

I think the first product the OA web site should sell is the not caring about competing mojo juice if you are bottling it.  I have to believe that you may have visited my steroid doc too

Dude, what a race with the knee and all!  I guess if you're bike stays in one piece it goes pretty good. Damn!  Very impressive for an ordinary athlete.  I think in the past you must have been spending too much energy on speedy transitions.  Way to figure that out and make it work for you : )   

2008-09-29 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Nice race especially the transitions. As a strategy, I think you should go with 10 minute transitions at Longhorn.
2008-09-29 11:53 AM

User image

great job toady!! I forgot you were doing this race...u b speedy

2008-09-29 1:56 PM

User image

, Texas
Great race and congrats on 2nd. It sure was a tight race at the top.
2008-09-30 1:51 PM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Whoa! Nice job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Rss Feed