Set-up.inc
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 35m 36s
Overall Rank = 221/567
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 40/84
Pre-race routine:

I woke up about 4:15 and ate 2 pb and honey sandwiches (600 cals). We got to the race site and setup our transition. The race numbers were given out alphabetically by last name so I was next to Steph. We ended up with a pretty good rack right at the beginning of the transition. It made it easy to find our bikes later. After getting weighed, marked, and a chip I walked around and chatted with friends.
Event warmup:

We took a stroll through the woods to the swim start.
Swim
  • 40m 44s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Under 2 minutes per 100 yds? me? This has to be my best swim ever!

I started near the back of my wave and set out at a smooth easy pace. I ended up between the guys who swim fast and on top of each other and in front of the slow swimmers. For the first half of the race I was by myself. After that the fast swimmers from the next wave caught me and I got bumped around until the finish. Just after the half way point I tilted to take a breath and caught a punch to the nose. I was lucky I didn't get a bloody nose. The guy was really sorry about it, and it wasn't like he meant to. In the last 500 yds I got a killer calf cramp. It subsided enough, but it made me worry about the rest of the day. It lingered around for the first few miles of the bike, but after that it was fine. I had heard that we would swim into the sun, but it ended up being really minor. This is a great lake for a swim.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. When you swim as little as me and break 2 mins per 100 there is no complaining.
Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

I had a little trouble pulling my foot out of the wetsuit because of the calf cramp. Outside of that I did fine.

Speed up a bit. I was slower and more methodical than normal.
Bike
  • 2h 55m 28s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.15 mile/hr
Comments:

I read a lot of race reports and knew I had to take it easy on the bike. I figured that 19 mph would be easy, but still fast enough. It ended up being perfect. My heart rate was up enough that I had some trouble with my stomach. I had inteded to drink three bottles of nutrition, but only got two down. It was really tough to ride that slow in the beginning because everyone was passing me, but I kept telling myself not to drink the koolaide and race my race. It was 15 miles in before I passed my first cyclist. At mile 30 the pelaton passed me. It was about 40 riders in tight formation. I let the pass and then I stayed about 3 bike lengths back and let them pull me for a few miles. I was barely pedalling and doing 20+ mph. After a few miles the race official showed up next to me and I decided to fall back. After about 35 miles my rear was getting angry with the rough roads and then theroads got worse. The really bad pavement is only for a few miles, but it felt like my bike was going to come a part. I promised my backside that if we survived this ride I would ditch the stock seat that came with the bike in favor of something more comfortable. The last few miles are with the cyclist sharing a lane with runners and I ended up going slow through there. I averaged 13 miles for the last two miles :(.

I need more bike fitness. I ride enough miles, but I don't do long enough rides. I had biked 56 miles once prior to this race and over 40 miles maybe 5 times. The good news is I stayed within my ability.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

I did this transition really fast. My big mistake was I carried an 8 ounce bottle of water with nuun in it. I shouldn't say carried. More like I dropped an 8 ounce bottle of nuun. Not once. Not twice. Three times while jogging to the exit.

Put some pine tar on my hands.
Run
  • 1h 55m 24s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

First off, Thanks to all the people from the North Atlanta Multisport Club and the Atlanta Tri Club for the cheering and motivation. It really helps.

My stomach was a little sloshie and it ended up being my limiter. When ever I turned it up to 8:30 miles I was greeted with stomach cramping. I ended up trying to stay on the edge and that was just under 9 min miles. There are two climbs per loop and they are at each of the ends and the middle section is flatter, but in the sun. I was expecting more shade and less hills, but I just sucked it up and dumped water on my head. I liked the two loop course because I passed the time scouting for people I knew. My favorite was my my wife who was smiling and chatting with everyone like she was running a 5k fun run. I ran a bit with Kevin Tierney and that helped to pass the time. He was struggling through some serious back pain, but he still was in a great mood. On my second loop I saw a lot of folks really gutting it out. It gave me a boost knowing that what I felt wasn't that bad and I needed to suck it up. All my peeps looked great on the run and they gave it all they had.

Dunno. I felt like I raced on the edge of my nutrition and I doubt I could have pushed it more. I guess I just need more base fitness.
Post race
Warm down:

I noticed the clock wasn't working when I finished and wondered how I did. After finding a bottle of water I headed out to cheer for the folks still out there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was really happy with my time, so it's hard to find a negative. My goal when I started training for this was to come in under 6 hours and I blew past that. I need to get my nutrition nailed better and do some 100 mile bike rides.

Event comments:

Great race. It's one of the best organized races I've ever been to. Very well supported. The only knock is the roads are a bit rough, but they aren't unbearable. I think this is the perfect race for someone's first HIM. You just have to do the race. The race director has the details taken care of.

Last updated: 2008-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:44 | 2112 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/84
Overall: 357/567
Performance: Good
Suit: QR sleeveless
Course: A triangle that went around a penninsula
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:22
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:55:28 | 56 miles | 19.15 mile/hr
Overall: 298/567
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: A loop through the country side. It is a moderately hilly course. Similar to the bud plant rides in Cartersville. The roads are a bit rough at times.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 94
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:55:24 | 13.1 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Overall: 176/567
Performance: Good
Course: A little bit hilly and sunny.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-29 6:45 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Subject: South Carolina Half

2008-09-29 7:03 AM
in reply to: #1702632

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Subject: RE: South Carolina Half
Congratulations on a great race and meeting your goal by a mile!
2008-09-29 2:18 PM
in reply to: #1702652

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
Great race Doug.  You guys are very impressive.
2008-09-29 2:35 PM

User image

Master
"After about 35 miles my rear was getting angry with the rough roads and then theroads got worse. The really bad pavement is only for a few miles, but it felt like my bike was going to come a part. I promised my backside that if we survived this ride I would ditch the stock seat that came with the bike in favor of something more comfortable." - you cannot do another HIM on that stock seat. I forbid it. Those roads ARE brutal but you need to upgrade that a$$ hatchet tomorrow. Get a Adamo.

Great job to both you and Steph and Nat on your first HIM. Great job all around.
2008-09-29 3:27 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
Congrats on staying within yourself the whole race and finishing well under your goal time!
2008-09-29 8:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
Orlando, Florida
Congrats on the great race. Thar road really beat the tar out of me. It was great to run with you for that short span. It actually felt better on my back to run faster, but I was so afraid I couldnt keep it up. You looked really strong.

2008-09-29 8:50 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Great job on the race- you looked strong and posted a great time!
2008-09-29 9:05 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Great RR...congrats on a great result.  I am wondering the results that will come from your kids!  You and your wife are a trip with those results.
2008-09-29 9:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Doug,

Thanks again for inviting me to dinner with you guys.  Great RR and congrats on your time.  Didn't I mention the rough roads at dinner?  I thought I might have been exagerrating from my experience last year, but I guess not!

2008-09-30 7:15 AM

User image

Austell, GA
Congrats on a great race.
2008-09-30 7:46 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
congrats, doug! nice time! maybe i'll see you there next year!

2008-09-30 9:13 AM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Great seeing you a couple times on the run.  You looked like you were doing good.  Beat your goal by 25 minutes.  Awesome!  Solid race all around. 
2008-09-30 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
What a great first race. Shows how you are a 'student of the game' so to speak. You learn what you need to do, then you go do it. Great preparation, and even better race. Congrats.
2008-09-30 9:07 PM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Great race, what an incredible effort.  That peleton was interesting, it surprised me as well.  Kristen and I were talking on the way home and thought it is cool that you and Stephanie get to race together. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carolina Half Rss Feed