Set-up.inc
70+F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 10m 32s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Well, I got up to pee every hour (stupid hydration plan) and the walls at the Clarion were paper thin so I very aware everyone else getting up to pee, getting ice or when the bar closed. Hotel/room though was clean and comfortable. Just not conducive to a good night's sleep. But who gets a good night sleep race night anyway?
Got up at 4 am. I set 3 alarms. No over sleeping for me!
I forced down a whole wheat bagel with peanutbutter, then ate a half a bowl (dry) of Uncle Sam's cereal to uhm, get the "constitution" on its way. I drank 16 oz of water and a few sips of gatorade. Then 1 cup of coffee and more water and lots of peeing. I stretched while I watched World Taboo's" on Nat'nl Geographic. Watching people eat bugs and dance on knife blades at 4:30 in the morning is , well, creepy.
Event warmup:

Set up my tranistion. This was second triathlon ever. I did a sprint over a year ago. So I was little cluster f'd trying to figure everything out. So. Over.Whelming. Too. Much. Crap. Too. Much. To. Do: Set up, pee, body marking, pee, get chip, get weighed (humilating. How is it I have gained 8lbs since I was at the Dr a week ago. Told you the taper makes me fat. D.Press.Ing) pee, check set up, pratice set up, dance to techno music blasting, take pictures, run around, All this before 7 am in the morning.
Swim
  • 35m 48s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have had so much anxiety about the swim and not having a wet suit. I am not a GREAT swimmer but I am a strong and good swimmer. I am very comfortbale with the distance and in a pool I can swim for almost forever. But my open water experience is limited to the 400yds I swam at my one only tri over a year ago.

I have to say though my fears were unwarrented. The swim was the ONLY part of the day that I thought was fun and that I LOVED.

I have tendenancy in the pool to go balls out that first 100. The water always feels good. So I made a concious effort to reign it in. I just swam steady and then turned it up in the home stretch. I had thought sighting would be hard for me but it was a non issue. I positioned myself to the inside but still had swimmers on either side of me. I breathe bi-lateraly and do 123 breath or 12345 breathe. So I was able to guage where I was without having to look up too much. I trusted that the masses of people were headed the same direction I was.

I finished the swim with the men from the 3 previous waves: white caps, lt blue and dark blue caps. And the challenge was just avoiding them from kicking me.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Maybe a wetsuit. I know in a pool I can do the distance under 33 minutes. But I know you don't want full out effort in a tri.
Transition 1
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

I had my cap and goggles off before I was even out of the water and ran over to my rack. No problem. I was kinda confused about how I was doing but since there were orginially 6 bikes on my rack and only one was gone--a young guy who had been in the wave a few before mine--I figured I was good. I took my picture. Put my helmet on. Glasses. Socks. Shoes (I have old school--mtn bkining shoes actually--on my entry level roadie. I am so so NOT a triathlete. ) Gloves, crackers in my pocket and ran out with my bike. I waited until they told me I could get on my bike.
I chuckled at the girl who had came out of the water after me but hauled ass out of transition before me but then had to struggled to get her feet in her shoes after she mounted her bike. Of course she passed me by the end of the first mile but she probably would have been faster to just put her shoes on before leaving transition. Just saying. I don't know how much time that saves if you aren't proficient at the flying mount. I am proficient at nothing on my bike but I know that and have no expectations.

Does it matter? I ain't doing it again.
Seriously. Nothing but maybe hustle a bit more . . .
Bike
  • 3h 07m 43s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.90 mile/hr
Comments:

Okay. I suck on the bike. I know this. I am sort of okay with it because I try but there is nothing I can do about it. I don't know why I am not faster. But I am not. The bike is really hard for me. I have only been riding a year and half though. But really, I am not all that much better when I started.

I got passed like I was standing still. It was so sad and so humiliating. Two people who passed me snickered at me and my bike. They looked at me and at my bike and laughed. I am not kidding.
My bike was FREE people. Leave me alone. I don't have 5k to drop on a bike. Wait, I don't have 5k to drop on anything. Much less a bike.

My goal was 3 hours and 15 minutes. 17.5ish give or take. I have practiced this pace in training. In my final mini practice tri I did 17.2 avg pace on a much harder course. So I was quite happy with my 17.8 mph. I KNEW I was doing GREAT for ME! Which was totally sad and depressing considering that 500 people passed me. It was so hard to not want to try and hammer it and pass them back--which I did do a few times but that was because they slowed--I didn't speed up. I was even paceed. I have 3 rings on my bike. I stayed in the 2nd ring and didn't even have to use all my gears. I think once on a downhill I put in the big ring. 17.8 the whole time. Which again, is great for me.

I pretty much ate the whole time on the bike. Totally ridiculous. But I was bored. Eating was my entertainment. I never eat this much but I am often under fueled so I figured it was okay.
I had a Gu, then a pkg of peanutbutter crackers, another Gu, peanutbutter crackers and another gu. I also had 4 endurolytes. I 24oz bottle of HEED and probably 60-70 oz of water.

I tried to cheer myself up that I would pass them all on the run. I am, after all, a runner. It is (or is suppose to be) my strength. Hahahahahahahah . . . .

Get a better bike. Maybe one with aerobars, the right type of pedals, shoes. Whatever. I'll still suck.
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

My last tri I ran out of tranisition with my helmet on so I was very concious to not do that again. So transition was a success because I remembered to take my helmet off. Yay me! Got my bike shoes off, running shoes on. Put a hat on, very sad for how bad my hair looked. I think I took a picture of myself. Grab some luna moons. Thought. Hey. I need to pee. But figureed I would stop when my claves cramped up.

Not get off the bike so that way I never have to try and run after riding.
Run
  • 2h 22m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Hell. Walk of pain.
I felt pretty good starting out but I knew the course was uphillish for the first 4-5 and that would cause me some pain. I even stopped to pick up a Gu when the girl in front of me dropped one. I handed it to her as I passed her. I was trying to go slow. Garmin said 9 min mile, which for me is slow. But I am thinking because it was so shady that maybe I wasn't getting an accurate pace. My claves locked up. This has been an ongoing issue for me so I was kinda/sort of prepared for it. I have not figured out how to avoid it but in training I have managed to work through it and still pull out decent runs after cycling.

I have to walk. I can not run through this. It is just too painful and physically impossible to maintain normal stride. But typically after a minute or 2 of walking my muscles will release and I can run.

So I took this opportunity to use the porto let that appeared. This was about the end of the first mile.

My calves felt better and started running. Now I was out on the open road and it was toasty (but I have been 21+ mile runs in 80+ heat since the end of July so I am okay with toasty. Don't love it but can deal).

I realized that both my feet were completely numb. Totally new senstation. Left more so than the right. Garmin was reporting a 6:50 pace. Way, way too fast. I slowed down to 8:30 and I still couldn't feel my feet. It completely freaked me out and was very uncomfortable. I felt like I was dragging my left foot. So I started doing the walk/run bit. When I was running I was running between 8:30-7:50. For me this is pretty typical race pace. My stand alone half marathon pace is between 7:35-7:50. And I did a 12 mile run 2 weeks ago in training at just under a 7:30 avg pace. So IMO I wasn't going too hard.

By mile 4 my left was still completely numb. I stopped and took my shoe off and looked at my foot.I could not feel it at all. I wanted to make sure I could still move my foot and that it wasn't paralyzed--because that is how it felt. I thought, move toes. And I could move them. So I put my shoe back on and kept walking/running.

I started thinking about quitting. It made every where on my left leg hur--hip, thigh, calf. I was worried I was doing permanent damage and wouldn't beable to run my planned fall half and full marathons. And those are my A priority.

By mile 5 I was serious about quitting. I think this is when my training partner caught up to me and I told her as much. I tried to run with her but her pace is slower than my comfortable running pace. I kept thinking that if I could do nine minute miles I would be okay but I couldn't get my stride to do that. It hurt. A lot.

I stopped again and took off my shoe. Steph ran on and left me (I didn't expect her to wait). Poked at my foot. Still numb. What to do, what to do.

I started looking at aid stations for medical personal. But there just seemed to be kids/volunteers. No one that looked like they would know what was wrong with me.

Around 6 miles the numbness went away and was replaced with fire pain. So I would run for a few minutes. Walk for a few minutes. Run/walk. Limp here and there. Just awful. One race personal person asked me if I was okay and I told him no and he said to hang in there. So I figured I would just keep going until I passed out from the pain and felt certain then someone would then come and drag me off the course. Unfortunately I guess the pain wasn't bad enough to make me pass out. As much as I didn't want to I ended up finishing. My foot pain never went away but it also didn't get any worse. It still hurts today and I can barely stand to touch my feet.
I have run 6 marathons, countless half marathons and never once have my feet felt like this. I hope they get better.

Quit.

I didnt bother with nutrition on the run. Just drank water. I really felt good--energy wise so it wasn't a bonking issue.
Post race
Warm down:

I went to the medical tent. I could see from the entrance the cots with fans blowing on them. I wanted one of those cots. But they wouldn't let me in until they weighed me. Oh the humiliation never ends. I had lost 1 lb. Yeah! I only have 7 more to lose until I am back to what I weighed last week. They congratulated me on doing a great job with my hydration. Nutso's. My hands and feet were so swollen. I am surprised I didn't gain weight.

They let me in the tent and helped me to the cot. They took my shoes off and put ice on my feet. They tried to make me drink water and eat but I was so sick of eating and drinking and said no. After a few minutes of icing my feet they felt better and I was able to walk.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my feet.

Event comments:

It is hard for me to have a positive opinion because I was so miserable on the run yesterday. I have certainly had a few bad marathons but even those I still had a good time or could find something positive in my performace: I bonked in the heat at ING but still qualifieed for Boston. And I ran my second slowest marathon at CMM last year because I had GI problems but still had fun.

I didn't have fun at all yesterday on the run or the bike. I felt lonely and sad on the bike and was just in miserable pain on the run. I loved the swim though. It was just amazing. And I had fun setting up.

And I know the negativity I am feeling is not at all the race's fault so don't let my experience discourage you. I don't think the course was too hard or the conditions bad. The problem is with me and I just need to get over my poor pitiful self. Jsut know that sometimes even when you train hard (I did!) and practice everything and feel 100% prepared things can still happen to make it completely suck and dissappoint you. There will always be that "x" factor. And how you prepare and account for that, well, I don't know.

Okay, one final comment/suggestion is that all of this could have been so much better if I had my ipod. I didn't think it would matter but I really really so very much missed my music. That definitely would have made the race better for me, even with all that pain.

Last updated: 2008-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:48 | 2112 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
I have no data.
Suit: None! I don't have one ;)
Course: I don't know, Out and around the cove???
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:07:43 | 56 miles | 17.90 mile/hr
Performance: Good
none. I started my garmin a bit late and then it didn't keep the signal all that well
Wind: Little
Course: rolling hills. This course is less hilly/easier than where I usually ride. I never once had to get out of the saddle. I found it easy but mind numbingly boring. I was seriously bored the whole time. I wished for my ipod or someone to chat with.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:22:00 | 13.1 miles | 10m 50s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Yeah. Right. Garmin totally tossed me under the no GPS bus. I could never get a pace.
Course: This was slightly hilly but not a hard course. It was butt ugly, boring and hot as hades out on the open road but not hard. I say this because I walked almost all of it. Maybe if I ran it I might have thought it was harder. But the hills were nothing compared to where I usually run. I feel like if I hadnt had issues I could have run under 1:40 on it in a stand alone half.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-09-29 8:18 AM

User image

Expert
North Metro ATL
Subject: South Carolina Half

2008-09-29 9:25 AM
in reply to: #1702756

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: South Carolina Half
Great job on getting through that tough run. A HIM in only you're second race...that's pretty impressive. Don't be discouraged, though...it's a tough distance to get right. Figure out what caused that foot problem...it could be any one of a number of things...and you'll be great next time.
2008-09-29 10:07 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

First of all congrats for finishing! The first time at any distance that is the primary goal and you did it.

Having watched your training  I know that you were prepared for this race and I believe that if you did the same race under the same conditions this Saturday you would shave significant time off just from the experience that you gained by doing the distance once. You are an outstanding runner (and swimmer also), one thing to remember is that it takes time to develop your engine on the bike (and by time I mean years and miles). Stick with it and there is no doubt that you have the genetic make up to be competative in triathlon.

A couple of suggestions:

1. 1. Don't drink so much, the having to pee thing (at least to me) was a sign of possibly being overhydrated. Remember we are not camels and can't store fluids, this could be a cause of your cramping issues as you quite possibly are depleting your body of electrolytes before the race even starts.
  2. How new are your shoes? I know you run alot so you probably go through shoes fairly quickly. May or may not be a contributing factor to your foot problems.
  3. If you can average 17+ on your current bike then on a tri specific bike or a road bike you should be killing it. Second hand bike in the cards maybe?

Like I said before you finished and that is the most important thing. Don't give up and don't be so hard on yourself.

2008-09-29 10:13 AM

User image

Master

You already know what I think, but I'll tell you again. 

This race is not reflective of your run or overall fitness.  Something happened to your feet and that skewed your outcome.  But for that thing, you would have seen me on the course only in a blur as you sped by.  The converse is also true - if I had had something like that happen (if the bandaid had come off of my heel in transition to expose my blister, or if I had dropped a bottle of my nutrition), I would have been the one walk-running.

There are many factors in a triathlon that come into play that may or may not happen in any given stand-alone race or brick training.  Nutrition, pacing, equipment, etc.  It's complicated and hard to know what effect changing just one thing might have on the rest of the race.  If you go 0.1 mph too fast on the bike, how much slower does that make your run, etc.

FWIW, I told my sister your symptoms yesterday and she thought maybe it was an electrolyte issue that caused you to swell, which made your feet bind up in your shoes, which only worsened when you got off the bike to run.

2008-09-29 10:31 AM

User image

Milton, GA
I think you are amazing for finishing!
2008-09-29 2:24 PM
in reply to: #1703122

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Nat, you rocked.  I know you are not happy with how things went, but seriously? You rocked.  And I have never been to the SC Half, but it looks small.  I'm wondering what your experience would be like on a really rockin course - something like St. Anthony's.  I'm wondering the same thing about my race next month - it's going to be small. 

2008-09-29 2:25 PM
in reply to: #1703122

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA

I think you did a great job.  I know you are disappointed with your run time, but for your second tri ever, you did a great job.  Your run probably would have been faster if you had eased up a bit on the swim and bike which I thought were awesome.  I hope you do not stop doing tris because you are fun to hang out with.  I do not have to think of things to talk about while on the bike since you are always talking. 

2008-09-29 2:31 PM
in reply to: #1703066

User image

Master
What Steph said.

And also....

"I am so so NOT a triathlete. " - BS. You are. X2

2008-09-29 4:09 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
Great race and way to finish with the ailing feet.  You can't beat yourself up over what you think is a bad time.  Many racers I know get into this funk and set lofty goals only to be disappointed not to reach them.  They are goals for a reason if you reached it every time what is the point.  We all have bad days, you happenned to finish a HIM on one of yours.  Be happy!
2008-09-29 8:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
Orlando, Florida
The important thing is that you finished it. Unfortunately, no matter how much we plan, there may be something that happens that we couldnt have planned for. Be proud of yourself for completing such a tough race. You stuck it out and finished through the pain and numbness. That is impressive

2008-09-29 9:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

First, congrats on finishing the race.....sometimes you lose the battle (run) but win the war (race).

Quick question:  How many brick workouts did you do in your training.  I hate doing them but know that the transistion from bike to run can be difficult for the body.

Your swim time was amazing!  You sure you didn't have a "pool boy" helping you out.  While I enjoyed having the wetsuit, I sure did miss my pull buoy!

Thanks again to you, Doug, and Steph for inviting me to dinner on Sat night.

2008-09-30 5:43 AM
in reply to: #1705182

User image

Expert
North Metro ATL

I was completely prepared to run off the bike. For the past 5 weeks I have done a solo triathlong on Friday. Twice I ran over 9 miles after a long bike during those "tri's". I also did 1 other brick a week. AND I ran between 40-52 mpw ALL summer.

Sigh. I don't think my training was lacking.

I think it was--possibly--per my obsessive googgling-- a combination of an electrolyte imbalance (too much endurolytes/gu) caused my feet to swell (my hands were swollen too). And I think that combined with my calf cramps caused my feet to cramp which both compressed some nerve (like carpel tunnel in the wrist does) and made the tendons in my foot tendons get wound up. I noticed as stopped taking crap in the numbness abated but the pain from the tightness in my feet made it painful to run. So I would run for a few minutes and then walk.

Really I don't know. But the arches of my feet are still swollen and tender to touch. Moving around makes it better and in my experience that is pretty classic tendonitis. My left ankle is sore and so is my hip and I think that is because I had to run funny because I could feel my dang left foot for 6 miles. 

I had hoped to do a 20 miler later this week and get my run mileage back over 50. Maybe next week.

Oh, but thank you all for the props. I appreciate it. I will probably be happier about everything when I feel like I have not permanently injured myself. The whole reason I wanted to quit was to avoid injury. The HIM wasn't my A race and while I worked hard for it I had a bigger picture in mind. I really will get over myself. I am about there.

2008-09-30 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Woodstock

Nat,

Congrats on finishing your first HIM, that is a feat in itself. Now you know what to expect and will have a great race next time. You definetly have what it takes to be competitive out there. Quit being so tough on yourself and enjoy the accomplishment!

2008-09-30 8:43 AM

User image

Master
It decidedly was NOT your training.
2008-09-30 9:00 AM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Don't undermine the fact you just finished a Half Ironman.  I am not sure what % of the population can say they have done that, but I know it isn't very much!  Also, it was a 6 hour race, which in running race terms would be like running a 35 mile race.  I am sure you would be so pleased to just have finished a 35 mile run.  Think of it like that, you just completed a 6 hour race.  I think you did awesome for your first HIM and only your second tri.  Your swim we fantastic, your bike pace was very steady (you didn't blow up), you even beat your goal bike pace by over 1/2 mph, which is HUGE!  Your run was disappointing for you I know, but you know you can run, so there really aren't any questions there.  Keep your head up.  This was a very RESPECTABLE race for you!
2008-09-30 9:30 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Nat you had a GREAT race.  Congrats.  Enjoy the positive feeling of finishing a race that is 70.3 miles long. 

2008-09-30 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Nat.. you are highly competative.. and with your talents, you should be. You set yourself to higher standards. It's ok to be upset. My first half IM was a 6:43. I was never more unhappy about a sporting event in my life. I swore that the distance wasn't for me, that it was time to give it up.. but I didn't, and you can't either. You know the term: Any given sunday. That's really what it comes down to. No matter how well we prepare, things come up, things happen. You are too good of an athlete to not persue this sport further. Stick with it. Sign up for a few HIM's next year, and you will find out your true abilities, and have fun doing it.

Your numbness probably comes from your bike fit, bike shoes. Even after all that training, it's still that race day effort that can push something like that over the edge.
So.. a winter full of good running, good biking, and next summer, back at it. We all want you there.
2008-09-30 12:26 PM

User image

Expert
North Metro ATL

Aw, y'all are all so nice to me even though I am such a Debbie Downer (wha wha waaaaa).

I feel a little more optimistic as the pain fades. And today I rode with Neal whose BS about how awesome I am I always buy so I feel even better now.

Sunday after the race I texted my husband "Horrible, worst race of my life. Never again".

And even though it was only 2 days ago and I most clearly remember my pain (I'm still feeling it) and my absolutions of never again and why in the hell do people think triathlons are fun? I asked Neal today about what would be a good Olympic to try. . . . Sigh, I've said it before: I am like a moth to a flame. I'll never learn. I do, very much, want a do over . . . Maybe I'll go punish myself in training with a 6 hour/70.3 mile day next week. . .

2008-09-30 1:49 PM
in reply to: #1706422

User image

Elite
NatNegativeSplit - 2008-09-30 1:26 PM

Sunday after the race I texted my husband "Horrible, worst race of my life. Never again".

While I was about half way into the run I was thinking, "I'm exhausted.  I'm never going to do a full."  Now I'm considering going to IMFL to register for '09!!

Great effort on Sunday, btw!

2008-09-30 3:03 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

Awww you had an awesome race!! Looks like you were about a mile ahead of me on the run, too bad I wasn't up there with ya we could have chatted.

You know, this is my 3rd season doing tris. One thing I have learned is that we seldom are able to excel in all 3 sports on any given day. When it does happen, you have the race of your life. Keep looking for that race. It's the coming back to tri again that makes it fun.

FWIW, I've only had one such race and it was the Festival of Flowers Olympic this June. And even then, I should have been a tad faster on the run....

Keep on truckin'! Based on your time I would have thought you a seasoned pro, not a 2nd timer!

2008-09-30 3:07 PM

Regular
Atlanta
Just to reiterate YOU ROCK, girl!

(And you totally smoked the husband of a co-worker who's supposed to be the 'uberathlete')

Just sayin'

2008-09-30 5:58 PM
in reply to: #1706921

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Great job Nat.
2008-10-01 7:53 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Well done on finishing your first HIM!!! I've been looking for your RR since I read about some of your training on the RW forum (I'm runninginaz over there!). I think you will look back and be very glad you finished up the run!

Sorry some bike snobs made comments about your bike. Ignore it, your engine is awesome- thats a VERY respectable time for a HIM!

Great job!

2009-10-06 12:21 PM

User image

Regular
Greenville, SC
I'm not sure how I stumbled onto your Race Report but I was laughing hysterically. I hope your intent and emotion as you were writing it were meant to be funny...if not, oops, sorry! ;-) I think maybe doing this distance for your second tri is not exactly a great idea. This is a brutal distance that I can only compare to ultra marathon and requires experience. This was my 3rd 70.3 and I still have trouble! I too suck on the bike...and I mean SUCK! Don't be too discouraged! Your time is very respectable and I'm sure you'll do better next time! ;-)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carolina Half Rss Feed