United States
DuTriSportz
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 12s
Overall Rank = 27/229
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 5/23
Pre-race routine:

Got to transition an hour and a half before the race started. Hung out and walked around the reservoir a little bit, relaxing. Ate 1/2 a PB&J with some coffee about an hour before race time.....I was just not hungry before then. I did not train for this race. In fact, I moved to Colorado a month ago and spent 2 1/2 weeks too sick to do anything at all. I wasn't expecting much, so didn't treat it with too much respect.
Event warmup:

I rode my bike around a little and then got in line for the time trial bike start.
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

No opening run for the Cruiser category.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 38m 58s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.48 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a time trial start, which I loved. As soon as she said "go," I stood up and pushed as hard as I could. I'd say the first 8 miles or so were smoking. I felt great and I passed a ton of women....even my climbing was impressive. But then we hit the high school football team, cheering wildly on the side of the road at the last big climb. They were hilarious, so I really layed it on and sprinted when I saw them. It took every last ounce of energy I had, and by the time they were out of sight, I was exhausted! Oops. Must remember in the future not to expend every last shred of energy until I am near the end of the race....

So, the last five miles or so were a bit of a nightmare. I resorted to the little ring to do my climbs, and I was passed by four or five women who clearly had more in the tank than I did.

I got my second wind coming into transition, so I just pedaled as hard as I could. I knew the run would be disastrous, so I wanted my bike to be somewhat decent.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Maybe curtail my enthusiasm and preserve some energy for the end. Oh, and maybe having more than 1 12-mile bike ride on board in the past month and a half would have been beneficial.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

I'm surprised this was as fast as it was. I racked my bike by the front tire and it practically fell over, so I had to re-rack it. I was also incredibly dizzy, so changing my shoes was more difficult than it should have been. I was thirsty, but opted to just grab my hat, number, and run to the mat.

Not much. I'm pretty pleased with this one.
Run
  • 32m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Ouch! This was horrific. I crossed the mat out of transition and just stopped. I couldn't breathe. I was coughing up all sorts of lovely stuff and just could not get enough air in my lungs. I walked for maybe a minute and a half before I was able to try and settle myself in a run. The first mile was torturous, and long. It wasn't until I hit mile 2 that I started to settle. My breathing was under control and I was able to cruise along at my regular 5K pace....it was just way too little, too late, as that first mile had basically buried me. I was able to finish strong, but was still a little disappointed.

Train. Train, train, train! OH, and perhaps I wouldn't leave it all on the bike course. I really went out way too hard on the bike for my current fitness level, and I paid for it on the first half of that run.
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed a banana, drank 2 bottles of water, then desperately tried to ease the ball forming in my calf. I couldn't stop coughing, either. I sounded like a smoker, and still do, 24 hours after the race! Waited around until the results were posted, then high-tailed it back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Obviously, my lack of training really put a damper on the race today. I am still amazed by how much the altitude takes it out of me, and a little disappointed that I lost some of the fitness I developed over the summer. That being said, I've been through some major life changes over the past few months, and I'm just proud that I completed this race and performed okay. I still have a little base here, so now I know what I need to work on in the off season.

Event comments:

Very well run little race. It was low-key, and everybody was nice and supportive. I didn't know a soul, but I was able to figure out what I needed to do and had an easy time figuring out the course. Loved the cheerleaders and football team --- they were hilarious and great motivation, particularly on the bike course when we were out in the middle of nowhere. The race shirts were awesome long sleeve technical shirts, so that was an added bonus. We were rockin' to the oldies at the finish line, and the venue was neat and clean and easy to get to.

Last updated: 2008-09-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/229
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:38:58 | 12 miles | 18.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/23
Overall: 17/229
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: I understand this to be the same as the Danskin course, although it's a little bit longer. Nice rolling hills....out to Quincy and beyond.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:14 | 03.11 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/23
Overall: 69/229
Performance: Bad
Course: Concrete trail around Reservoir.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes