General Discussion Race Reports! » 29th Annual Vasque Golden Leaf Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

29th Annual Vasque Golden Leaf Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Aspen, Colorado
United States
Ute Mountaineer & City of Aspen
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 54m 25s
Overall Rank = 502/586
Age Group = F30-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We drove from Denver to Aspen Friday evening. Checked into the hotel, walked to a restaurant where M had a dirty martini and I had a glass of red. Again, I love how I've worked alcohol into my night before routine! Watched the debate and was in bed, lights out by 9 pm.
Event warmup:

We woke up and picked up some food at the grocery store and drove to the race start in Snowmass. We walked up the hill a little ways to warm up our legs, but that's about it.
Run
  • 3h 25m 24s
  • 13.3 miles
  • 15m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I did not bring any water or food with me. There were 3 water points which really sucked. And then once I got to mile 10 I really just wanted to be finished. I really didn't take this race seriously - I'd run up ahead of M and then I'd stop and wait for her. I hit mile 11 and really just wanted to stop. I wasn't hurting or anything like that, just did not feel like running anymore!
What would you do differently?:

Bring water and food! I usually carry gels or clif blocks, but for some reason, just forgot.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood in line for yummy food. Showered. Back to the race finish for the raffle.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hhhmmm. Power walking the first 1.5 miles? Not bringing any food or water?

Event comments:

The post race was amazing. They raffled off so much stuff. The race director said "Up next is a Suunto training watch with foot pod. I might just keep this for myself - hee hee. Number 286!" Me, jumping up and down screaming "286! 286! That's me! That's me!" That's right. I won a Suunto T3 HRM and Foot Pod.

Pictures are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/norinemali/AspenHalfMarathon#

Last updated: 2008-09-16 12:00 AM
Running
03:25:24 | 13.3 miles | 15m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/586
Performance:
Course: Oh boy. The first mile and a half was straight uphill. Like running up a ski slope. I'd like to tell you that the rest of the course was downhill, but it really wasn't. It was GORGEOUS though. I can't remember ever being somewhere so pretty. We traversed s number of ski runs, hanging out mostly around 9500 ft. Some rollers, some nice downhills. Mostly single track, technical trail - 10+ water crossings. It was a trade off - look at the beautiful views, or pay attention to the trail.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-29 11:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Subject: 29th Annual Vasque Golden Leaf Half Marathon

2008-09-29 11:49 PM
in reply to: #1705326

User image

Parker, CO
Subject: RE: 29th Annual Vasque Golden Leaf Half Marathon
Sorry we missed you. Congrats on the Sunto.
Ben (triforresttri) and Katie (OUTDOORSGIRL1978) are in one of your pictures - the one labeled "wow. I'm short". not sure where I was.......perhaps ...warming up??

Edited by raise99 2008-09-29 11:51 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 29th Annual Vasque Golden Leaf Half Marathon Rss Feed