General Discussion Race Reports! » Chesapeakeman Ultra Distance AquaVelo Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chesapeakeman Ultra Distance AquaVelo - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cambridge, Maryland
United States
TriColumbia
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 7h 45m 47s
Overall Rank = 47/96
Age Group = Female 40-45
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

Red Bull, 1/2 whole wheat bagel with peanut butter
Event warmup:

N/A Arrived late
Swim
  • 1h 25m 37s
  • 3862 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

Got to race late- wasn't too concerned because I considered this to be an organized workout. It was pouring rain! By the time I got my tires pumped, filled aero bottle, got body marked and got my wetsuit on- it was time for the race to start, Headed down to the water and realized I forgot my damn timing chip and couldn't remember where I put it. JD found it in my bag, I put it on, ran down to water, swam out to start and the horn blew. I was way in the back (it was a mass start).

Tried to work on drafting, but it was difficult since you couldn't see the person's feet that you were trying to draft off of.

Ended up breathing to my left the whole race. Was doing well swimming in a strait line and was getting water in my right goggle when I tried to breath to my right so decided to stay with what worked. My right shoulder bothered me a bit when I first got on the bike, but after a while I had lots of other pain, so didnt feel my shoulder after that:-)
What would you do differently?:

Would get to race ahead of time if it was and important race!
Transition 1
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

Since it was pouring rain before the race, I decided to put my shoes in my bike bag rather than keeping them on the bike. My feet ended up getting soaked anyway, but sticking my feet into my shoes with an inch of water in them would have really sucked. My T1 was fine regardless.

1st a/g
3rd female
7th overall
Bike
  • 6h 17m 9s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.82 mile/hr
Comments:

The water they gave us was gross! When I sprayed it into my aero bottle it foamed up. Plus it smelled bad. Ended up changing to Gatorade but that seemed gross to me as well.

I was surprised at the LARGE number of people drafting- this includes the 1st place overall female- I noticed she got a 6 minute penalty. DRAFTING = CHEATING!! Not even trying to hide it. WTF?!?! I've seen it in races before and sometimes it hard not to do if the course is crowded. This definitely was NOT the case. This was a very small race (maybe 300 people) on a very large bike course. You would have had to work hard to draft. It really pissed me off! I was tempted to say something to these idiots, but decided that it they wanted to cheat and could live with themselves, then why waste my breath. I know that I didn't cheat and I can live with that!

Nothing- I did my best. Would like to have not stopped so much, but damn- cycling hurts!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

did a brick run:-)

They had a food/drinks/massage in the gym. I ate, drank, and got a massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I did the best I could have possibly done. Only my fitness, or lack there of limited me.

Event comments:

Small race. Super nice volunteers.

Last updated: 2008-09-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:25:37 | 3862 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 59/96
Performance: Good
Suit: full wet suit
Course: Changed to a 2 loop course
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:03
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:17:09 | 112 miles | 17.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 47/96
Had 18.3 mph average pace according to bike computer. Stopped 3 times- twice to pee and once at special needs. Didn't really need to stop the last time but needed to get off the freaking bike!
Wind: Some
Course: two loops. Got windier on second lap. Rained most of the ride- poured some of it. Rode thru water that was so deep that it was above my bike shoe. I liked the rain- it made the temp perfect!
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/96
Performance:
Course: I only did the Aqua Bike- did a 40 min brick run- felt great!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-30 4:42 PM

User image

Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: Chesapeakeman Ultra Distance AquaVelo

2008-09-30 5:01 PM
in reply to: #1707240

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Chesapeakeman Ultra Distance AquaVelo
Great job Karen! You are going to have a great race at IMFL.
2008-09-30 6:58 PM
in reply to: #1707285

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Chesapeakeman Ultra Distance AquaVelo

Congrats on the AG win!

I also used the AV as a tune up for FL last year.  It is probably the best option out there for that.

Oh, and get used to seeing drafting ..... it was prevalent at FL too, especially at the front of the field.  (I saw 2 separate packs at the out and back of about 40+ people and I was stuck somewhere about 2 miles in between them).

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chesapeakeman Ultra Distance AquaVelo Rss Feed