Headfirst Performance
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 32s
Overall Rank = 78/121
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/16
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, poured a bowl of cereal, packed remaining gear and headed to the car. Drove an hour and a half in the darkness to Danville. Thankfully, there were no police out to check my speed or my slight swerving while trying to eat cereal in the car. When I got into town, I stopped at McDonald's to change and get some coffee.
Event warmup:

Not really much opportunity. I just concentrated on making sure I wasn't doing anything stupid, that my transition area spot was set up, and that I had an idea of where/what to go/do when.
Swim
  • 07m 46s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

While standing in line, a fellow competitor was nice enough to inform us that pool swims were much more messy than open water. While seemingly counter intuitive, it proved understandable as my start time approached. Because I registered this morning, my start time was not based on any estimated swim time. Instead, I was lumped in with all the other race day registrations, many of whom proved to be rather agressive swimmers. At one point, two of these sharks passed me at the same time, around one of the turns.

Those bastards.

Felt bad for nice lady in front of me - I'm not sure she made it.

In all seriousness, for having no real swim training to speak of, I can't complain. Good thing I recently found a great pool.
What would you do differently?:

Hmm, maybe . .. I don't know . . . SWIM a bit more???
Transition 1
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

The swim knocked the crap out of me - wasn't sure how the race was going to go at this point.

Thanks to whomever (actually think it was Artemis) that recommended rolling socks off before while setting things up. They went on real easy.

For the benefit of the cynical folks on this site, I silently mocked the bucket brigaders.

Practice.
Bike
  • 52m 4s
  • 15 miles
  • 17.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Now, I'm still not fast, but 17.7 mph is nearly 1.5 mph better than I have ever averaged on a similar length ride. Holy cow!!

Probably due to several factors:
1. Race day adrenaline
2. Nice pace booty early in the race, and bike lust that made me want to keep up with the "pros".
3. Closed course
4. Hmmmmm, maybe it was the fact that I asked to borrow a gentleman's pump that contained an actual guage! Found out that my typical "push down on the seat" method of checking tire pressure had resulted in both tires being rather under-pressurized. Funny, right? Fixing this couldn't have made that big a difference, right?

Can I tell you something rather immature? In the first couple miles, I got passed by what any red-blooded male, married or otherwise, would have considered "hot pace booty" (#1 above). However, she was going so fast there was no way I was going to keep pace for very long. Instead I concentrated on "racing my race" and as I've said it turned out rather well. I was passed by many, but I also passed several people. I was feeling better the farther I was into the course, and was faster coming in than out (and that was with an uphill return profile). Anyway, who should I spy at about mile 12 or 13, but cute little pace booty!

Hey, I know there's a whole "shouldn't feel good about passing a girl" thing if you're a guy. But again, I'm not that mature. Passing that pace booty felt good.

Finished strong . . . but probably put too much effort into the bike. Oh well - 'm not complaining.

well, you know, more training and what not.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Didn't feel too great getting off the bike, but otherwise things went fine.

Ha, maybe untie my shoes before I lay them out???
Run
  • 29m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Okay, so this proved to be a bigger mental test than I anticipated. I tried desperately to convince myself not to breakdown into a walk.

But it's amazing what a motivator the thought of a supporting wife and kids can be.

I wasn't fast, by any means - but I never stopped. I wanted to be able to tell them that I had RACED the whole race.

I was a lot slower than I would have like - but I think that was balanced by how much faster than normal I was on the bike. Can't complain.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, had some water and bananas. The bagel nearly made me puke.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ha - body weight per chance? Lack of training? Take your pick.

Event comments:

A great little race. It was well organized, and I could see myself doing it again.

Last updated: 2008-09-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:46 | 300 yards | 02m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/16
Overall: 63/121
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Serpentine, 6 up and backs.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:41
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:52:04 | 15 miles | 17.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/16
Overall: 68/121
My computer said I went faster (17.7mph)
Wind: Little
Course: A beautiful course through the Boyle County countryside. Lots of very nice "farms" with big houses and great fencing (when you have a horsey wife, you notice good fencing).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:39 | 03.11 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/16
Overall: 88/121
Performance: Average
Course: A nice, not too hilly, course through the neighborhood behind the wellness center.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-01 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
Subject: Help Make a Difference Triathlon

That's right - setting a new BT recording for longest standing member to have FINALLY completed a tri.

I'm still not sure if my times are official official - there was a chip mix up and these are times the RD thought might be mine.

All in all - I'm relieve to get this under my belt.  Funny how strong I feel so far this week.  Could the post-race high still be present!?! ;)

Edited by roch1009 2008-10-01 12:58 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Help Make a Difference Triathlon Rss Feed