General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm getting Fat Again!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-01 11:11 PM

User image

Crawford, Texas
Subject: I'm getting Fat Again!!!
Hello All!

I need some kind of motivation, encouragement or something. I recently got injured and have been out of the training realm since August 10th. I am now free to work out again per doctors orders but I can't. At first I was so frustrated that I could not get out there and run or bike, and now I don't want to run or bike and my eating habits are quite terrible. Has anyone experienced this before and what can I do? HELP!!!

2008-10-02 12:10 AM
in reply to: #1710727

User image

Veteran
, Washington
Subject: RE: I'm getting Fat Again!!!

YES!!

I changed jobs in January after having lost almost 20 pounds. Took me 6 months (and putting the 20 pounds BACK on) on the new job before I "got around" to riding to work again (the bulk of my exercise at this point). Just keep telling yourself "I WILL FEEL BETTER AFTER I WORK OUT!!!" The first week back I would spend literally like 20 minutes the night before talking myself into riding the next day. Now I'm back to being irritated that I flatted today and used my only spare tube, so I'll "only" be swimming tomorrow (won't risk flatting on the way to work).

Or, we can just say HTFU and do it!Laughing

Jim 

Edited by deskjockeyjim 2008-10-02 12:11 AM
2008-10-02 5:38 AM
in reply to: #1710727

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: I'm getting Fat Again!!!
Hi DWD!

Yes, I think most athletes do hit these kinds of slumps. Often it's in the period of time following an important "A" race. Other times it is in response to different stresses/changes in one's personal life. I have had different reactions following sports related injuries. Most often I am so anxious to get back at it. But sometimes I slip back into old less healthy lifestyle habits while sidelined. (As you mentioned you started to eat crappy again). And of course that is depressing to us physically (shocking our bodies with all that "toxic" junk) and mentally (weight gain, etc.)
I think you just need to send yourself a wake up call! In your situation, I would pick a goal race and then start organizing my training plan. That will get you hooked back in mentally. And knowing that you will be racing will motivate you to get back at it physically too. Putting refined sugars and overly processed foods into your body will effect your ability to perform. Again, hook your mind in first. Go wander around the cookbook section of your favorite bookstore. Look at the recipes that use whole foods and that promote greater fruit and veggie intake (no need to overdue the protein when you are training for an endurance event). Don't overlook the vegetarian section. You can always add in some grilled free range chicken, wild caught salmon or lean free range beef.
Once you start nourishing your body you will FEEL like you have the energy to be the athlete you aspire to be...
I have lots of ideas. Feel free to PM me.
Good Luck and please keep posting! We all provide accountability for each other.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm getting Fat Again!!! Rss Feed