Other
Tico - Ecosport.com.ve
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 55m 56s
Overall Rank = 341/687
Age Group = Sport Senior
Age Group Rank = 81/162
Pre-race routine:

Had pasta dinner about 8pm last night, along with a bottle of Pedialyte in an attempt to recover from yesterday's training (2850m swim & 10k run). On race day, I woke up at 5:00am and had a Nature Valley granola bar and Gatorade.
Event warmup:

This was going to be my first "conventional" MTB bike race in a while. Last year, I did two 12-hr races and a couple of adventure races, but no short events.

After setting up everything at my girlfriend's sponsors camp, I was unofficially asked to be the mechanic for the team (a 10-person all-female team). So I basically checked brakes, lubed chains and fine-tuned gears for an hour. Got to ride approximately 15 min. prior to race start. There was not much room to ride in, so we simply rode around in granny gear and warmed up mentally (joked, laughed, relaxed, motivated one another, etc.)
Bike
  • 2h 55m 56s
  • 39 kms
  • 13.30 km/hr
Comments:

My race strategy was to avoid being above Zone 3 for too long. This was, after all, a "training" race. I wanted to keep the cadence high and the hr low.

I usually like to go fast right out of the hole to avoid traffic in the beginning of the climb and then fall into my groove, but today it was different because I wanted to save energy and not burn out in a way that would affect my IM training. I rode comfortably and had a PowerGel 45 minutes into the ride. After passing the 15k mark, I switched to granny gear and rode all the way up to the top. I had not been able to do that in the two prior opportunities that I had done this ride in practice (had to walk a bit), but today I decided I would stay on the bike. Had another PowerGel at approx. 1:30 into the ride.

It was really funny though because at some points I had people pushing their bikes and passing me while I was still on mine! Also, at some points, it was so steep and I was so slow that the bike computer would not even register speed or time! I do feel that this IM training and has taken away some explosion from my legs; my preparation is now very different from my mountain bike days. I constantly had to remind myself that this race, or MTB-ing in general, was not my "goal" and I could not "leave it all on the course".

I was really looking forward to the downhill section, mainly because I didn't want any more climbing. The beginning of the downhill is about 3k of fast hills. In an attempt to pass another rider, I clipped his handlebar and hit the ground. Got me a small earth tattoo on the knee! I got up and when I finally did pass him we exchanged apologies for like one minute! Ahhh the camaraderie! And then came the fastest part of the downhill, my hands were aching and going numb, but I was loving it.

The last few sections of the downhill had some short, explosive climbs. As soon as this part started, I found people walking their bikes in nearly every single one of these climbs. I wondered what was wrong and then got my answer: my calves cramped up so badly that I also had to get off the bike. I could not believe it. I massaged them and carefully got back on the bike...my watch said 2:24, so I knew I still had about 30 mins to go. As I walked it off, I started thinking about my GF and how she would be handling the downhill and hoping she was fine. Then, I started to ride as effortlessly as I could, and luckily the cramps did not come back. As I got to the flats, I got really excited and decided to push the pace a little. I managed to catch 7 riders, the last one by half a wheel at the finish line!
What would you do differently?:

I like this question. I had a sprint tri planned for today, had signed up and all! But that race was cancelled because of severe rains and floods that destroyed the roads to the site where it was going to be held. So I decided to do this race for fun and to accompany my GF in her first race of the season.

After my IM, which will be halfway through the MTB season, I might refocus on MTB and adventure racing until '06.

Post race
Warm down:

No warmdown, just went over to where my mates were (Travis, I like that word!) and nervously waited for my GF to arrive. She's had a recent history of MTB accidents, so I was really concerned. I didn't really care how she placed; I just wanted her to finish the race safe and sound.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

MTB is a whole different monster. Bike handling skills, accelerations, climbing technique, etc. need to be properly trained. I was aware I had not done any of that prior to the race. Also, I tried to keep my HR from rising too much. Normally, I would race without HRM.

I went to have a good time, get a workout in and stick to my IM training plan, but not to race. That relaxed attitude takes a lot of pressure off, but it's still hard to have people passing you, who you know you could beat or race under different conditions.

Another limiter might have been "tapering". I've just concluded my hardest IM training week so far. Normally, prior to a race, I would have trained a quarter of the hours I trained this week!

Event comments:

Looking over the results, mine was a mid-pack finish if there ever was one!

Well organized race! I was so happy so see one of my adventure racing teammates (Edwin) get on the podium (3rd place in my category). His blazing race time was 2:10!

My girlfriend arrived 13/20 in her category and 549 overall. But, the real good news is that her downhill was nearly accident free! She scratched her shoulder a bit with a branch (actually passing someone!). She did get a chainring tatoo on her right calf while climbing though. As she was going up one of the steepest hills, her front wheel lifted and she fell backwards, unfortunately her chainrings got a piece of her leg. It's a superficial scratch. So she's fine, and I'm relieved!

My only worry was the cramps I had. I was properly hydrated but was somewhat tired and unrecovered prior to the race.

No pics yet...I'll as if any of my friends have any.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-02-21 12:00 AM
Biking
02:55:56 | 39 kms | 13.30 km/hr
Age Group: 81/162
Overall: 341/687
Performance: Below average
Average heart rate was 163. I tried to keep it between 160 and 170. My max was 174.
Wind:
Course: This is a killer course. It's 15km of hard climbing then about 4km more in granny gear (at least for me!) and then a technical downhill mixed with some steep short climbs. The last 2km are flat. The first 10K of the climb is very hot; the vegetation is almost desert like. The remaining 9K going up is lush and humid vegetation, natural tunnels and slippery climbs.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-02-21 12:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Red Bull MTB Series - race 1

2005-02-21 1:26 PM
in reply to: #120446

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: RE: Red Bull MTB Series - race 1
If you can make out the map, the green arrows are the climb (left) and red indicates the downhill (right)
Félix
2005-02-21 8:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Singapore

Sounds like u had ALOT of fun

I don't think I can EVER mountain bike...I'll probably crash 50 ft from the starting line..=p

Awesome job my man

2005-02-21 8:49 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

Way to go Felix!!!  I think one of the most impressive things about your race is how disciplined you were throughout...you didn't give into the temptation to just crank it.  Very smart to keep the IM in mind while racing.  I can only image the state of fitness it must take to do one of these types of races let alone finish one.  You nailed all of your HR objectives too.  Fantastic.  Very happy to see no injuries for you or your GF.  Congrats on a fine race.  I can only imagine what your are going to do for your IM. 

2005-02-21 9:40 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Great race Felix! Glad to see you were able to control yourself and stick to the plan. I don't know that I would have been that patient to just ride and stay in my heart rate zone Congratulations!

Oh, and... Felicitaciones para tu novia. Parece como termino la carrera en buena forma

-Frank

Edited by scuba-punk 2005-02-21 9:42 PM
2005-02-21 11:40 PM
in reply to: #120739

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tokyo, Japan

Hey Felix, great job "MATE"!!!!

Good to see you stuck to your race/training plan.  I know it's hard but I think you'll be better for it in the end.  More importantly it was great to see that everything went off injury and accident free.

I'm with Charles...I'd have NO hope of MTB riding, let alone racing!!  Pedal, pedal...CRASH!!  Pedal, pedal...CRASH!!

2005-02-22 3:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
FELIX! You superstar!
Great race report - sorry to hear about your little "tatoos" and hope you are feeling better now.
WOW, MTB racing sounds like hard work and a hell of a lot of fun!
Very well done.
M
2005-02-22 1:01 PM

Veteran
Texas
Nice race Felix!  Good finish for a race that wasn't even an A race!  Sounds like some tough terrain.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Red Bull MTB Series - race 1 Rss Feed