General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New tri bike vs. old road bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-02 11:21 PM

User image

New user

Subject: New tri bike vs. old road bike

Okay, here's the problem.  I ordered my custom Guru 2 months ago, thinking that I would get it in plenty of time to do some training on it before my HIM at the end of Oct.  Finally got a phone call from the bike store yesterday that the bike was finally in, but THE WRONG COLOR.  So it's being sent back, and they're hoping to have it done right before the race.  So I've got 2 questions. 

First, should I ride a brand new bike in a race?  I've only ridden a road bike, so I'm afraid of what being in a new aero position is going to do to my neck/legs. 

Second, the bike shop offered to set up my road bike from now to simulate my new tri bike, so I could get used to the set up.  Should I bother with this and potentially ruin my last 2 weekends of really hard training on my road bike that I'm used to the setup on?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-steve

2008-10-02 11:42 PM
in reply to: #1714361

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Subject: RE: New tri bike vs. old road bike
Race the way you train. go with the road bike. Power comes before aerodynamics (in my opinion) and making a last minute change could rob you of power not to mention the potential for injury or hurting your run from the additional stress your body would be subjected to. I don't think the bike shop will be able to set you up on your road bike to simulate your new bike. Until you get it and they fine tune your position you won't know exactly what it is. IMO I think it is a recipe for disaster.
2008-10-03 10:04 AM

User image

Veteran
OBX, NC
I agree  - I don't think you'll have enough time to get used to the new bike - I would use what I know and am used to and then after the race - start training on the new bike.....
2008-10-03 10:12 AM

User image

Elite
Definately go with the road bike.  I'd race with the tri setup too, especially if you can get a couple rides on it before the race.  I had a similar dilema for an oly.  Got the tri bike the day before the race, but I knew I couldn't race on it.  Too many things could've gone wrong.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New tri bike vs. old road bike Rss Feed