Sportspectrum
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 58m 24s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3 a.m. and had a muffin with some jelly. Took my Byetta shot and had a hard time going back to bed. Woke up at 5 a.m. to get ready to run at 6 a.m. for the "warm up". Byetta slows gastric emptying...so stomach felt a bit queasy. Blood sugar was quite low since I didn't ingest heavy carbs...about 79. Drank some gatorade. Took blood sugar again before running, still hovering around 80. Drank more gatorade.
Event warmup:

Had to run a 6 mile "warm up" because today's total mileage was supposed to be 15 miles. Had to wait around for 45 minutes after the 6 mile run, so stretched and tried to stay loose and warm. Did check blood sugar after the 6 miles...197. A little high, but I was really pushing the last mile.
Run
  • 1h 58m 24s
  • 9.26 miles
  • 12m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs were feeling rather heavy after the long wait from the 6 mile warmup. Really wanted to run faster, but was worried about my ITB/hip problem on the left. Actually it didn't bother me much, so I can't use it as an excuse. Started out with the group and the pace was quick for me...looked at garmin, going sub 11 min pace...oops, too fast for me. Tried to maintain a 12 min pace but unable to do it for more than a couple of miles. Not sure if this race was mental or phyiscal, but I was having trouble keeping the pace up.

Course was looped so on the way back it was nice to see other runners and everyone was very encouraging....guess they could see I was struggling or perhaps they appreciated that I was hanging in there. I was about 6th to last.

Came into the finish pretty much at the end with only about 6 people behind me. We started out cool but it got hot in a hurry.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Just run more during the week.
Post race
Warm down:

Legs were burning at the end of the run. Hobbled down the hill to get a cold diet coke. Talked to a few peeps and cheered in the last remaining runners...they were all from my USAFit group. I'm proud of all of us for doing our 15 miles today.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

There isn't much to say really. Doing 9 miles after 6 miles is not easy, at least not for me. Might have been able to do better if it was just a 15K race instead of a 15 miler.

I blogged about this, but basically this could be either physical or mental. I've really been having a hard time being satisfied with being a slow runner and I need to learn to enjoy being able to run distances. I should be proud of myself for getting this done today.

Event comments:

Well, I was really slow and at the end and they were basically taking stuff down either right behind me or just as I was getting there, but luckily I was anticipating it and I had my fuel belt with me and enough water to last me the entire race. The race is local and small. They had hotdogs I think and all the stuff was gone by the time I got back, so no banannas for me!! But I did get a cold diet coke, so I was happy.

Last updated: 2008-09-22 12:00 AM
Running
01:58:24 | 9.26 miles | 12m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: 15K route by Clyde Fant parkway and then on the running trails by the Red River. Route along the parkway was sloping to one side, not great on the knees.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-10-04 6:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Subject: Sportspectrum Revel Run

2008-10-04 8:04 PM
in reply to: #1718384

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: Sportspectrum Revel Run
Great job!!!   You did 15 miles today! Sounds like nutrition was good.  Rest those legs a bit and get back out there.  If you want to I can mail you a hot dog. 
2008-10-04 8:39 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Great job out there.  You finished those 15 and held strong. 
2008-10-08 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Ontario, Canada

Way to go Sharon!!!  

"I've really been having a hard time being satisfied with being a slow runner and I need to learn to enjoy being able to run distances. I should be proud of myself for getting this done today."  Listen to what you've said!!! Quit beating yourself up.  Your achievements have been and will continue to be amazing!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sportspectrum Revel Run Rss Feed