Set-Up Inc.
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 42s
Overall Rank = 12/288
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/51
Pre-race routine:

woke up and started to stretch before i even got out of bed. went downstairs and made some coffee, stretched some more. got dressed, stretched. then dan couldn't find his wallet, helped him search for it for about 20 min, he found it. we packed the car and off we went.
Event warmup:

got set up in transition, (my rack was 4 rows from the back). went out of the bike just for the first half mile or so. put wetsuit on and probably swam about 200m for a warm up.
Swim
  • 11m 1s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

Solid swim with better navigating this go round. However, I would like to have someone to draft off of to see what kind of difference it makes on my overall fatigue at the end of the swim. Ran into a few guys from the red wave and got kicked and elbowed in the head a few times but that is all to be expected. Arms felt really heavy with about 200m left to swim.
What would you do differently?:

Need to build my upper body strength so that my arms don't feel so heavy at the end of the swim, this will help me keep up my turnover.
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

This transition was a little rocky. First of all my rack was towards the back of transition. So even though it was closer to the swim exit, it was far from the bike start. I hadn't even gotten my arms out of my wetsuit by the time I was at my rack. Then I had to run my bike almost the entire length of transition.

The only way to assure that I am closer to the front of transition would be to registrar as open, and I'm just not ready for that.
Bike
  • 38m 17s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.48 mile/hr
Comments:

I really enjoyed this bike course. It was a beautiful day with some wind but honestly couldn't have asked for better weather. Tried to relax in the first couple of miles. I've had a lot of chest congestion over the last few weeks and was pretty winded coming out of the swim. Took slow deep breaths trying to get my heart rate to drop. Though I wasn't wearing my HR monitor I could tell my HR was elevated and that I would need to bring it down if I wanted to be able to finish the race. After I passed mile 5 I started to settle into a comfortable pace. Approaching mile 7/8 I was passed by the first two women and then a mile or so later I was passed by two more. The women who won the OA went past me like I was standing still, it was actually very cool to witness, as strange as that may sound. It was very inspiring to see a female who can bike like that. Cranked out the final two miles and started getting my mind ready for the run.

Get more training miles and time in on the bike. Be able to race in aero.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Again, had quite a run from dismount to the rack. But what are you going to do? Racked the bike, changed my shoes, took off my helmet, put race belt on and grabbed one of my fuel belt water bottles. Then off I went.

Learn how to rack bike quicker. Turning the bike around to rack it cost me at least 10 sec.
Run
  • 24m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

My HR was way too high from the start and the asthma had already kicked in by the time I left transition but I tried to make the most of a bad situation. I kept telling myself that if I took deep breaths it would get better, just keep running. Sipped from my small water bottle, I found that it really helps me to carry my own water, that way I don't have to stop right after I start running to get water. Saw Dan on my way out as he was on his way back and that lifted my spirits. Also told myself that there were people catching me, so I better keep the pace up. Was very happy to see the turnaround but also knew that I had to run back up the hill I just came down. My lungs were burning and my chest was getting tighter and tighter but I kept pushing along, I had come too far to stop now. Drank too much in the first mile and started to get a cramp. All of these things were making me feel so negative, so to counter balance this I started singing Christmas Carols to myself. I know, I know, it sounds stupid but it really helped and totally eased my mind and took my mind off the pain. Once I turned to the finish I just let it all go and cranked as hard as I could.

Run more often. Start taking inhalers again.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and found Dan. Went over and congratulated Dave and Karolina. Ate some mike'n ikes. Stretched my back and legs. Drank lots of water and gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just need more time training. I have so much to learn about this sport, just so thankful that I have so many great people to learn from.

My back hurt towards the end of the bike but by far was my best "back" day in a long time. Going to continue the PT in hopes that this will be good by the beginning of next season.

Event comments:

Really enjoyed this race and want to sign up for it next year. Have to say that this is the best I have felt about a race in a long time (maybe since I was 16). And I define the word "best" not by my place or finish time but because I felt like I could finally "race" and enjoy the sport.

Last updated: 2008-08-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:01 | 800 meters | 01m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/51
Overall: 1/288
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU C1 Full
Course: One loop, buoys every 100m.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:17 | 12.43 miles | 19.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/51
Overall: 32/288
Wind: Some
Course: One loop on a semi-winding course, mostly smooth road with some areas that needed work. Small rollers but no major hills, shaded in most parts.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:00 | 03.11 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/51
Overall: 33/288
Course: Out and back course. Long incline on the way out to the .75 mile marker, then declined to the turnaround. Shaded for the most part.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-05 7:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Subject: Giant Acorn

2008-10-05 8:13 PM
in reply to: #1719670

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: RE: Giant Acorn
Great job Ally.

You really have come along way in 5 months and I am looking forward to watching you grow in the sport.

Congrats on the hardware too!

Edited by docswim24 2008-10-05 8:14 PM
2008-10-05 9:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Williamsburg, VA
Were you one of those yellow swim caps I saw passing me in the water? I bet you were.
2008-10-05 9:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

You did great out there!  I'm surprised you were able to come out so strong after all of your rescent back issues.

I'm impressed.

2008-10-06 5:43 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

Wow, pretty amazing that this is your first season.  Awesome job.  And even bigger wow, you sang Christmas Carols to counterbalance negative energy.  I think I will try to run with you at the Jingle race, is bound to be entertaining. 

Well done!! 

2008-10-06 8:35 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Congratualtions on a fantastic race! Amazing speed for having a asthma flare up. Way to go winning 3rd in the AG!!

2008-10-06 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
NoVA
Super race!  Fantastic job on the hardware.
2008-10-08 11:53 AM

User image

Veteran
King George, VA
Nicely done!  Congrats!
2008-10-08 11:59 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville
Great way to end your season!
Z
2008-10-08 2:44 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
Solid as USUAL!!!!!!! Great job out there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Giant Acorn Rss Feed