United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 20m 20s
Overall Rank = 57/800
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/??
Pre-race routine:

Age-Group Note...Very sad, my last race as a 25-29AG!

Event warmup:

Swam a little bit to get used to the water (68degrees), but no formal warm up.
Swim
  • 26m 20s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

What the hell...Right hip flexor tightened up (nothing new there) but as I was able to work through that issue, the inside of both thighs started to tighten...I actually breaststroked 4-6 strokes just to try changing my kick and loosening up. Didn't really work --> HTFU and finished the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Not Cramp?!
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

I owe Edde a couple beers. He was relaying and on the bike, as I tore into T1 I said, "Edde!", he said, "what?!", and I said, "Pull off my wetsuit!" That probably saved me 30 seconds...it was hilarious, and I think a few other people recruited some relays to be the impromptu wetsuit strippers. I don't remember much else but hearing people laughing at the whole situation.

Not much...it was too much fun to want to change anything.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 24s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Why isn't "not hard enough" a choice on the "Race pace" section.
In the first 2 miles I had absolutely nothing. Left piriformis (SP, aka left ass) was very tight, and hurt to turn the cranks. Left calf, a little in the hamstrings....AHH...nothing was going right early on. I shot a GU less than 15 minutes into the bike, which alleviated some of the cramping. The rest of my nutrition was about 470 calories of Infinit. I can't believe I went through 500+ calories in and hour and ten. I did make up some time in the bike, was passed by a few people, and just did what I could. Despite the cramping pains, it was a beautiful course, and I really enjoyed it.

Avoid all the cramping, ride harder, make sure my cycle-computer wheel magnet is lined up when switch to my race wheels.
It was pretty interesting doing the bike course on "feel" and having no idea of mileage, or mph.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

The "BAD" comments are because I simply don't do that yet.

Not sure, but I know I've been faster!
Run
  • 42m 25s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I pushed at a resonable rate on the course, I had guessed I was running 6:50's while on the course, and this was a solid run today. My left foot (the possible stress fracture I need to get looked at) was there, but didn't cause much real pain. My stride was solid, however, I was still dealing with a lot of tightness from the issues on the bike. There was only hill that I had to slow my pace...both quads started to tighten up, I told them to shut up, since there was only 2 miles to go and pushed through. The last two miles were fast. I fumbled a cup at the last aid station, and actually stopped to get another cup. A guy I had recently passed pushed when he saw me stop to try and re-pass me, but with one mile to go and my legs back under me I hit and lost him in the next hill.
Coming into the finish chute, I could have picked off one more guy, he kept looking over his shoulder, and was matching my pace, I didn't have it in me today to throw down and sprint out the end. So I finished strong and was happy with the end result.

Faster...
Post race
Warm down:

Walk/Limping around the race site waiting for a few more people to finish.
Coke, 3 bottles of water, 1/2 an orange, 4 oreos, and some advil.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Do you read my race report? I think I've covered this section.
Massage...the line was too long, so, No!

Event comments:

I will definitely do this race again. The course was fun and challenging, the venue was awesome, and the volunteers were great. Next time I will have to remember to bring my Fast!!!

Last updated: 2008-09-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:20 | 1500 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/??
Overall: 120/800
Performance: Good
The lake is pretty sweet. Cleaner than everything I've swam in this year, except white lake!
Suit: BlueSeventy Sleeveless Reaction
Course: It was supposed to be a triangle. But it was a triangle with 4 sides. Everyone was messed up. And it was so foggy no one could see the buoys on the way out. After the second turn, it was a straight shot back to shore, with a clear view of the finish line.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:46
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:08:24 | 24.85 miles | 21.80 mile/hr
Overall: 109/800
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Challenging course, lots of hills, only two sustained "climbs". The last 3-5 miles is very fast (and my body started cooperating, so I dropped the hammer).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85+
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:25 | 06.21 miles | 06m 50s  min/mile
Overall: 34/800
Run through/over/past the whole field in front of you is very much fun. I was just excited no one caught me in the run. 2nd funny story...I caught Dan (training and racing buddy) at the first aid station. We talked for a few seconds, I continued to talk to him (over my shoulder) as I swallowed my water and took off down the hill. Catching Dan, aslo meant catching and passing a pack of 10+ runners...after the race he told me that several of the guys in the pack only response to my passing through was..."what the hell was that!?" That made my day!! :)
Course: Hilly!!! :) A good combination of shade and sun, smooth rodes, and scenic (If you like big houses and golf courses) This was one of the more challenging 10k courses I have run (stand alone, or in a Tri). I think many people would have a hard time PRing on this run course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0?
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-10-05 8:55 PM

North Carolina
Subject: Pinehurst Triathlon

2008-10-06 8:13 AM
in reply to: #1719796

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Pinehurst Triathlon
Nice race! Man, you are a fast runner!

Aging up is wonderful - you'll be the youngest in your next AG!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinehurst Triathlon Rss Feed