General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition Strategy Problems Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-06 8:14 AM

Subject: Nutrition Strategy Problems

Did the Mighty Man Half yesterday, everything was great, except my nutrition strategy. First i think i over hydrated, ended up needing to take a leak 3 times on the 2nd loop. I also got terrible stomach cramps, halfway through the bike and for the entire run. Really slowed me down. Not sure what went wrong, i had about 5 gels, 1 before the swim, then 4 on the bike. Drank an aero bottle of gatorade and maybe half a regular bike bottle of gattorade on the bike. was this excessive? 

2008-10-06 8:56 AM
in reply to: #1720298

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Nutrition Strategy Problems
Based on the related experience, I'd say yes.
2008-10-06 9:00 AM
in reply to: #1720298

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Gels need to be diluted to effectively work.  What you did was take all the carbs from the gels and then compound them with the Gatorade.

Gatorade (while not the best thing with its syrupy taste) is ideally mixed in about a 5 - 6% solution, just right for absorption.  BUT ....... by using it with gels (that say right on the packets to take in with water) you ended up making a much higher concentration of carbs to liquid then your body can absorb.  So guess what?  It just sits in your stomach until you get more water in to dilute it.

That leads to gastric issues like bloating, cramping, nausea.  All the things you DON'T want during a run!

My recommendation next time would be less sports drink and more water on the bike with the gels.

Edited by Daremo 2008-10-06 9:01 AM
2008-10-06 3:34 PM
in reply to: #1720405

User image

The Natti
Daremo - 2008-10-06 9:00 AM

Gels need to be diluted to effectively work.  What you did was take all the carbs from the gels and then compound them with the Gatorade.

Gatorade (while not the best thing with its syrupy taste) is ideally mixed in about a 5 - 6% solution, just right for absorption.  BUT ....... by using it with gels (that say right on the packets to take in with water) you ended up making a much higher concentration of carbs to liquid then your body can absorb.  So guess what?  It just sits in your stomach until you get more water in to dilute it.

That leads to gastric issues like bloating, cramping, nausea.  All the things you DON'T want during a run!

My recommendation next time would be less sports drink and more water on the bike with the gels.

^^^^^^
As usual, he is spot on.

You want a sports drink to be isotonic (osmo of < than 300) in order for it to pass into your system with no stomach distress. Over an osmolality of 300 it is hypertonic and can cause to the issues you experienced. The solution/concentrations in your gut, will determine how quickly it will be absorbed.

Regular Gatorade is 375 (hypertonic) and made from HFCS, not the best for athletics.

If you drink Gatorade and then dump gels into the mix it is way too concentrated. That prob was the issue.

The Gatorade Endurance is 300, much much better.

Just as a FYI, Endurox is 310 and most of the Hammer products are fine. The new Power Bar products are good also.

Cytomax is a whopping 482.

If you take Gels, ONLY use water to wash it down.

That is the biggest issue I find with athletes, they have a hard time keeping their nutrition correct when using several different products at the same time. Easy to mess it up IMO.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition Strategy Problems Rss Feed